• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scarcer Batman and Superman issues

5 posts in this topic

I think it’s true to say that there are no rare golden age issues of Batman or Superman. But, not surprisingly, there are some issues that are scarcer than others. For example, I would say that Superman 15 is scarcer than Superman 16, and Superman 77 is scarcer than Superman 76.

Are there any issues of either title that you would rate as relatively scarce?

6 hours ago, yrag9591 said:

I think it’s true to say that there are no rare golden age issues of Batman or Superman. But, not surprisingly, there are some issues that are scarcer than others. For example, I would say that Superman 15 is scarcer than Superman 16, and Superman 77 is scarcer than Superman 76.

Are there any issues of either title that you would rate as relatively scarce?

You are correct. There are no rare or even scarce issues. In  fact , I’m sure 15 is not “scarcer” than 16 and 77 is not “scarcer” than 76 in terms of existing numbers. 
what might be is an appearance of one less available than another in the marketplace due to a myriad of reasons , the Main being value/importance 

Superman 76 is a minor key. More buyers want this issue so more sellers feature it. But I suspect if you box dig, there are plenty of issue 75&77 available, just not visually apparent. 

Thanks. Yes, a comparison between 77 and 76 wasn’t a fair one. But I could equally have said 77 and 78. I just seem to be having difficulty finding a copy of 77 (and I’m not fussy about condition). And while I could easily find 10 copies of issue 16 at any given time, it seems more difficult to find issue 15.

Are there any action or detective comics featuring supes and bats that anyone would consider rare or scarce ? There was a time that action seven and 10 fell into that category for some. I don’t know if that’s the case anymore. Maybe early actions ? 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Are there any action or detective comics featuring supes and bats that anyone would consider rare or scarce ? There was a time that action seven and 10 fell into that category for some. I don’t know if that’s the case anymore. Maybe early actions ? 

Action 10 is the toughest of the early Superman covers. I used to think 13 was tough but I have seen enough of them now over the years. "Enough" not meaning plentiful but relative to the 10, the 13 pops up more. The 7 is closer to the 10 scarcity, but 7s have popped up lately. Tec 29 is relatively tougher than the 31,33,35,36,37. The 28 is probably the toughest pre robin Tec (although a non-Bat cover).