• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asterix page by Uderzo up at Christies on November 20.

16 posts in this topic

Honestly it's FAR from a hefty price for an Asterix page (https://comicarttracker.com/albert-uderzo-original-art-for-sale). A lot of estimates in this catalog are in no way related to the FMV of the lots. But it seems like the new experts (Huberty & Breyne) to work with Christie's decided to show low estimates to attract customers. And European auction houses like to compare results with fees to estimations, to claim that their auction was a big success, so the lower the estimates the better! Unfortunately the buyer will also have to pay the 30% buyer fees and the resale right (4% up to 50k€ then 3% => roughly 5000€).

But even if "Asterix and the Secret Weapon" is a late volume (Goscinny was long dead) and far from being a famous one, I do agree that it's a nice page, with all these gauls, the famous image of Asterix after he drunk his potion and Obelix sulking because he's not allowed to drink some, Panoramix/Getafix and his cauldron full of magic potion, Assurancetourix/Cacofonix tied up and gagged, etc. ! And as it's autographed, at least you're sure that this one was not stolen.

3 hours ago, NicoV said:

Honestly it's FAR from a hefty price for an Asterix page (https://comicarttracker.com/albert-uderzo-original-art-for-sale). A lot of estimates in this catalog are in no way related to the FMV of the lots. But it seems like the new experts (Huberty & Breyne) to work with Christie's decided to show low estimates to attract customers. And European auction houses like to compare results with fees to estimations, to claim that their auction was a big success, so the lower the estimates the better! Unfortunately the buyer will also have to pay the 30% buyer fees and the resale right (4% up to 50k€ then 3% => roughly 5000€).

But even if "Asterix and the Secret Weapon" is a late volume (Goscinny was long dead) and far from being a famous one, I do agree that it's a nice page, with all these gauls, the famous image of Asterix after he drunk his potion and Obelix sulking because he's not allowed to drink some, Panoramix/Getafix and his cauldron full of magic potion, Assurancetourix/Cacofonix tied up and gagged, etc. ! And as it's autographed, at least you're sure that this one was not stolen.

Yep. It has just about everything you’d want in an Asterix page, which is why Uderzo probably gifted it. 

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

Do I have to understand this comment that there were pages stolen ?

Uderzo told in several interviews that all non signed pages were stolen pages. But who knows? They have never been officially declared to the police as stolen, and Uderzo is known for having been very generous with his friends and family in the past. It is said that Asterix the Legionary pages had been given in full. Never easy to determine the truth in these cases. 

In the same category, a few days ago Hermann posted on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HermannBD/) that a page in the upcoming Artcurial auction was stolen. A few years ago (don't know if it's still true) the widow of Jean Giraud / Moebius also tried to take possession of any art of his husband that was for sale in an auction, saying that this art was stolen if there was no invoice. 

6 hours ago, NicoV said:

I understand, but for me it is a very late page, and not ‘original series’.

14 hours ago, NicoV said:

Uderzo told in several interviews that all non signed pages were stolen pages. But who knows? They have never been officially declared to the police as stolen, and Uderzo is known for having been very generous with his friends and family in the past. It is said that Asterix the Legionary pages had been given in full. Never easy to determine the truth in these cases. 

In the same category, a few days ago Hermann posted on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HermannBD/) that a page in the upcoming Artcurial auction was stolen. A few years ago (don't know if it's still true) the widow of Jean Giraud / Moebius also tried to take possession of any art of his husband that was for sale in an auction, saying that this art was stolen if there was no invoice. 

Thank you very much for explaining.

I finally got around to going through the catalog. Damn, there is some beautifully done work in this auction.

Even if you aren’t interested in buying anything, it’s hard to not find something to appreciate in such a large and diverse group of styles and mediums.

The list of artists reads like a who’s who of European comic art royalty and artistic giants. I wish I could see this in person!

https://www.hubertybreyne.com/image/catalog/000VENTES_AUX_ENCHERES/0-19-11-CHRISTIES-PRESTIGE/00MATERIEL/huberty-breyne-expertise-christies-vente-encheres-20-novembre-2019.pdf

On 10/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, NicoV said:

Hello, I am new in the forum. How much would you estimate for an original french collection starting from 1959 to cost. Not asking for anything exact, just an approximation :)