• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I stay away from this book?

24 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

If you're worried about the water stain, it does look like it's pretty extensive. It looks like there could be some rust migration going on as well...  hm

Sounds like I should pass. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, manofsteel said:

Personally, I could deal with it... BUT, if it's a no-no to have a book like this due to its damage, I'd rather pass. 

Again - It's YOUR collection - not mine; not anyone else's.  It's a call that only you can make whether or not it's acceptable in YOUR collection.

You've said that you can deal with it so I'm not too sure what your question is.

If you're asking us, it's a pretty good indication you don't really want the book...if you did, you'd already have it. 

I do a hard pass on water stains. Once a book kisses water, it's pretty much ruined IMHO. 

It's not that rare of a book. Save your cash up for a better copy and be thrilled with it. 

13 hours ago, manofsteel said:

Personally, I could deal with it... BUT, if it's a no-no to have a book like this due to its damage, I'd rather pass. 

I'm trying to understand this statement.

Who determines if it's a no-no?

Edited by Gaard

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

They do this for overhang on GA books, correct?

I guess for books that for whatever reason, are too wide.  The 1st wrap to Action 1 I had was in this type of holder, because it wasn't evenly folded.  

3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

The Superman #14 has off white to white pages.  

Oh. Mea culpa,. Someone mentioned "brittle pages too" in their post.

And that does make more sense now that a book as badly water damaged as this, obviously stored in a damp environment, like a basement, would have pages closer to supple and white rather than arid-stored books (attics), which typically have dark to brittle pages.

Edited by James J Johnson