• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most ridiculous comic panels of all time?
12 12

2,652 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2020 at 6:56 AM, media_junkie said:

Props to Leifield for becoming as successful as he did, but to this day I still dont understand how he did it.  Deal with the devil? 

On 7/7/2020 at 7:28 AM, Ken Aldred said:

His style did look very different  and worth following because it seemed to have a lot of potential. Unfortunately, very quickly, by the time you get to the very earliest issues of X-Force, it was clearly repetitive, empty, laden with swipes and technically very flawed, and that’s the point at which I lost interest and didn’t return because there was never much improvement in its basic foundation.  Stagnant, and very different to the evolution of superior artists from that time such as Jim Lee.

A bit like pop music; you can have artists that are technically inferior but succeed for a short while because they use the right style in the right place at the right time, until the fickle public bore and move on.

Luck rather than a Faustian pact.

Plus his fly was buttoned!  :wink:

On 7/11/2020 at 9:03 PM, gadzukes said:

First I have to say.... this is actually a really cool cover.

But, unless I'm mistaken, the hoop rider is about to get a giant metal rod wedgie.  Am I right or am I missing something?

1.jpg

The Hoopster must've paved the way for The Big Wheel in Amazing!  Hula knew?!  :wink:

Here's one of my favorites!  

1167116014_RCO005_1469011636(2).thumb.jpg.f849b1e707a26a02dff2845cb69347a2.jpg

RCO006_1469011636.thumb.jpg.d735b5cb39ef7f00732c7c12d1f03337.jpg

With apologies for transposing to James (Connery) Bond, where there's fire, there's smoke!  That calls for one more From Russia!  Do you have a match?  I use a lighter.  Better still.  Until they go wrong!  That's just wrong!  With Love!  :wink:

Edited by Coverless 9.8
Correction

On 10/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, Coverless 9.8 said:

Here's one of my favorites!  

1167116014_RCO005_1469011636(2).thumb.jpg.f849b1e707a26a02dff2845cb69347a2.jpg

RCO006_1469011636.thumb.jpg.d735b5cb39ef7f00732c7c12d1f03337.jpg

I thought the world knew the FF’s identities from very early on?

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

It was a conceit in the early issues of Strange Tales that they quickly abandoned by issue #106.  Sue's identity was not supposed to be a secret, but Johnny thought no one knew about his.  

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

If johnny storm can 'control flame' why doesnt he immediately get called out by the fire dept when there's a blaze?

9 hours ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

It was a conceit in the early issues of Strange Tales that they quickly abandoned by issue #106.  Sue's identity was not supposed to be a secret, but Johnny thought no one knew about his.  

25 minutes ago, kav said:

If johnny storm can 'control flame' why doesnt he immediately get called out by the fire dept when there's a blaze?

Yup. Not really making much sense.

Everyone knows Sue ‘Invisible Girl’ Storm, but haven’t yet shown any curiosity about the identity of a teenager with one of the most visually-impressive superpowers imaginable?

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Everyone knows Sue ‘Invisible Girl’ Storm, but haven’t yet shown any curiosity about the identity of a teenager with one of the most visually-impressive superpowers imaginable?

Side note-just because you can 'control flame' does not mean you can manufacture matter and create smoke molecules.  Not even close.

30 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Already 81 pages and 1600+ posts in here... well done, Kav.  Knew you had a winner and a mainstay in this thread.  B-)

Plus dont forget all the Greggies!!!!
:acclaim:

17 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

This whole misadventure is maybe my favorite flub from Marvel's early days. Johnny spends 6 issues trying to hide a secret that everyone knows. I'm off to work now, but I'll post the ending of this little farce after I get home!

46 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Ok, better late, as they say.

98D182A2-DC5E-4468-A0B4-70A30EB6D021.thumb.jpeg.e8fb9ddcd47785b8a9a2338db3ee42e1.jpeg

It reminds me a little of a reviewed play in the NFL. The process is laughable at times, but eventually they got the call right. Getting rid of Johnny’s secret identity was an even better idea than losing Mike Murdock.

image.png.0d8403d15f716e939c4ebc5db16ccd6c.png