• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value or economy
1 1

7 posts in this topic

you can try the search function as this is a topic which has come up multiple times. Some type of sticky or example  from CGC would be nice.

CGC has to insure the books while they hold them so think of the cost of tiers as being related to the premiums they pay for the various levels of book values.

How much do you want your book insured for?   That's the tier you pick. With the higher cost tiers you get (or should get) better turnaround time.

If something happens to your book while out of your hands, then the tier level represents what you're insured for.

At least this is the way I think about the tier levels & costs.

You can determine a value per grade by using sites like Ebay, goCollect, GPA etc

There are 2 ways to look at it.  What would it be worth in the grade you think it will get?  Or how much would it cost you to replace the raw copy you have in the same condition?  I usually value it on the grade I think it will get, just in case something goes wrong.

You can also try submitting it under the lower priced tier.  If CGC determines that the book is worth more that you submitted, they can bump the tier on you and charge the appropriate difference in cost between the tiers.  If they bump the tier on you, it is not necessarily a bad thing as that usually signals a higher grade than you thought.  I have never done this, but, I have heard people mention it before. 

On 10/30/2019 at 6:50 AM, Frankielo said:

I have a ASM #300 that I think is at least a 9.0 how do I send it in value or economy?How do the determine the value?

Well, the most recent sale for this issue in CGC 9.0, according to GPAnalysis, was $350. GoCollect prices the same issue at the same price. I would use Economy - if your book gets lost (yes, it CAN happen) or damaged in the mail (an even more likely occurence), you want it to be valued close to its present value. If you send it to CGC in Economy, the most you get refunded if it was lost, damaged, or stolen from your front porch would be $200. It's clear that you book, if graded 9.0, has a larger value than $200. Thus, I would use Economy.

Joe

On 11/1/2019 at 6:03 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, the most recent sale for this issue in CGC 9.0, according to GPAnalysis, was $350. GoCollect prices the same issue at the same price. I would use Economy - if your book gets lost (yes, it CAN happen) or damaged in the mail (an even more likely occurence), you want it to be valued close to its present value. If you send it to CGC in Economy, the most you get refunded if it was lost, damaged, or stolen from your front porch would be $200. It's clear that you book, if graded 9.0, has a larger value than $200. Thus, I would use Economy.

Joe

The way I've always understood is to use the FMV of the raw book you're sending in. If this is right, CoCollect (and GPA) would not be applicable.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

The way I've always understood is to use the FMV of the raw book you're sending in. If this is right, CoCollect (and GPA) would not be applicable.

Well, I can't argue with that. However, if you feel that your book would be closer to $400 than to $200 when graded, wouldn't you want to receive the $400 instead of $200 if (heaven forbid) it gets lost or damaged?

Also, we're talking about $38 (approximate wait-time of 40 days) versus $27 (current wait-time of 105 days). If you have a book that is worth more than $300, is it worth it to quibble over $11? Not to be rude or anything, but if $11 extra is a deal-breaker for you, I would suggest that perhaps you should think twice about getting it graded in the first place. For me, getting it back three months earlier (approximately) would be worth the $11. Of course, YMMV.

Joe

Thanks,to further complicate the matter I just acquired a iron man #55 in about an 8 so do I send both in under economy? Or will the IM 55 get bumped up?Also have to consider shipping in the equation since I woild be sending in one economy and one standard.I feel inclined to send both in economy and if they bump the IM up I'll just deal with it.