• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Mooney Splash
2 2

11 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Any thoughts on what this might be worth ?  1941-43 ??  Sure Fire or Lightning Comics ? 

90C5D145-1F20-41DC-9CD1-48036C3B89D9.jpeg

Probably April of 1942. Volume 2 issue 6......In that issue Lightning battled the Eel.....I don't have the comic to confirm but....It's a beautiful Splash. I would think at least $9-15 K starting bid? I can't find price point data, past sales of similar. Contact Metropolis Comics on this one.

Used to be Flash Lightning but changed to Lash Lightning to avoid problems with The Flash. It's really a sweet splash. Below I believe is the comic the splash comes from. The entirety of art is credited to Jim Mooney for the Eel story art.

Cover for Lightning Comics (Ace Magazines, 1940 series) #v2#6

Edited by grapeape

13 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Probably April of 1942. Volume 2 issue 6......In that issue Lightning battled the Eel.....I don't have the comic to confirm but....It's a beautiful Splash. I would think at least $9-15 K starting bid? I can't find price point data, past sales of similar. Contact Metropolis Comics on this one.

Used to be Flash Lightning but changed to Lash Lightning to avoid problems with The Flash. It's really a sweet splash. Below I believe is the comic the splash comes from. The entirety of art is credited to Jim Mooney for the Eel story art.

Thx for the insight grapeape ! 

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Thx for the insight grapeape ! 

My pleasure....I'm not an expert but for valuation I think Vince at Metropolis or Heritage Auctions is a good place to start. I don't work for either one ha ha. I would love to know more about it later. Like if you obtain the page, own the page or sell the page. Jim Mooney was one of our very best artists. This is really gorgeous art work.

If you own and want to sell please take it to auction. It could be a sleeper. Granted Lash Lightning is not Superman. However how many excellent super hero splashes from 1942 are floating around? Please let me know even if its through PM. This is a fascinating piece of art.

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

That seems a quite high to me. It's a great splash, no doubt. But, of an obscure character. This kind of art is for niche collectors. Michael Finn might be able to give you an idea of its value. Golden Age art is his primary  focus. https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=9834

Edited by PhilipB2k17

43 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That seems a quite high to me. It's a great splash, no doubt. But, of an obscure character. This kind of art is for niche collectors. Michael Finn might be able to give you an idea of its value. Golden Age art is his primary  focus. https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=9834

Really good suggestion to contact Michael.