• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever heard of a pre binding cover?

7 posts in this topic

So I've been on the hunt for an original cover for my cover-less ASM #129 and eBay alerted me to a listing this morning that has been now been removed. The item was listed as ASM 129 cover "unused". I messaged the seller to find out if it was a reproduction since it's not trimmed and has no staple holes and after a few emails he says "These are original covers Before binding". He also says that he will be relisting at a $250 buy it now price. I have never saw an original cover that wasn't trimmed to fit the book or not have staple holes. So has anyone here ever heard of such a thing because I'm very sceptical at this point. Sorry if this isn't the right place for this.

Thanks!

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400.jpg

I have an uncut printer sheet of old romance comics from the 50's.  Mine has four covers on one VERY large sheet.  Printed both front and back (the inside has advertisements).

It's not unheard of.

20 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have an uncut printer sheet of old romance comics from the 50's.  Mine has four covers on one VERY large sheet.  Printed both front and back (the inside has advertisements).

It's not unheard of.

This also has adverts inside. Any idea how someone could have originally obtained something like this? The post stated that this and another comic cover in a similar state were found in storage but the seller didn't seem interested in supplying any other details. Also, how does the rarity of something like this effect the value? $250 for just a cover is a little higher than I wanted to pay but, if it's legit, that might be within reason.

I'd imagine the only way to "originally obtain" something like this would be as an employee of the printing company.  It would have been pulled from the machines before running through binding.

If you were to buy this, and it was a legitimate unused cover - I would urge you not to staple it to the book you are seeking a cover for.  How many graded copies of that book are there?  How many unused covers are floating around?

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

If you were to buy this, and it was a legitimate unused cover - I would urge you not to staple it to the book you are seeking a cover for.  How many graded copies of that book are there?  How many unused covers are floating around?

I would not use this as a cover to marry to my comic, that would require trimming it and punching staple holes (it's also in much better condition than the rest of my book). It did pique my interest though. I couldn't get a good enough look on my mobile to notice the lack of staple holes and just how much white space it actually had, when I noticed that, I realized it wasn't going to fit my original need.