• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I am so upset this is coming to auction before I have the means to get it-

https://profilesinhistory.com/auctions/comic-illustration-art-the-property-of-a-distinguished-american-collector/

Any predictions?

You mean the cover, right? Well -like many top pieces- to me it's lost much of it's luster due to overexposure. If I could step back into the mindset of the first three years I was a collector and aware of this image, oh yeah I'd be in for swapping my whole collection for it, I'd be making $5m predictions, etc. But almost three decades later...I'm very much interested in seeing what number is posted (simple curiosity) but don't actually care to own in the slightest. No matter what the number is.

If I win the Powerball before December, I'm going for it. :wishluck: :insane: 

But, otherwise, I will gaze upon it in admiration from afar.  One of the very nicest/coolest/most awesome things, full stop, in our hobby.  This is a piece that can never be overexposed, IMO. 2c 

5 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If I win the Powerball before December, I'm going for it. :wishluck: :insane: 

But, otherwise, I will gaze upon it in admiration from afar.  One of the very nicest/coolest/most awesome things, full stop, in our hobby.  This is a piece that can never be overexposed, IMO. 2c 

3 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Couldn't agree more.

LOL. That's what makes a market. I couldn't be more cold on it. Money aside (or the old "you can have it but never sell it"), straight up Image A compared to Image B (C, D, etc)...I can (quickly) point to at least four things I've acquired this year that I would not swap for this. (and if I took the time, probably more than four.) And no, I'm not trying to be falsely contrary or playing Devil's Advocate to spur conversation (or scorn upon myself lol ), I mean it. I've seen this image at least once a month every single month since publication...I don't ever need to see it again (and am happy not to), and definitely wouldn't want it on my wall. Not at all.

Methinks the Batman 251 cover just lost a bid or two. lol

This auction season raises a host of questions... Is this the beginning of the End? Is this a bull market cash out or a generational one? Both? Can we expect loads of A+++ Boomer goodies every auction cycle from now on?

Just now, artdealer said:

And to think I sold that Frankenstein piece for Bernie over 24 years ago for $35,000, which was a lot at the time.

MI

Cool. Thanks for that price point, yes top of the market mid-90s and very few had the balls (means or not) to spend at that level without comps to comfort them when they told their spouse :)

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

This auction season raises a host of questions... Is this the beginning of the End? Is this a bull market cash out or a generational one? Both? Can we expect loads of A+++ Boomer goodies every auction cycle from now on?

It's interesting. There is a constant barrage of quality and top quality material every single auction, and then some even more than others too. Only the consignors know their motives (cashout or rotation); but I wish some would share publicly and directly...instead of through Gene ;)

23 minutes ago, artdealer said:

And to think I sold that Frankenstein piece for Bernie over 24 years ago for $35,000, which was a lot at the time.

MI

FWIW for the finance guys out there, the simple ROI math is 15% annualized is "double every five years" or 25 years = ca. $1,120,000. Top end of estimate isn't too far off what you could make in many buy/hold situations that were present back then and didn't crater every several years for dot-com, 9/11, housing, etc ;)

Edited by vodou
typo

16 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

We've seen tons of material from Frazetta and The Studio artists (Wrightson, Jones, BWS, Kaluta) hit the market in the past several years.  We know one of the sellers was Doc Dave (in his 60s), another was Frank Darabont (age 60 now, was 57-58 I think when he cashed out), and, of course, a lot of the Frazettas have been from the family following the passing of Frank Sr. in 2010.  So, I would wager this is a generational cash out for a lot of this material.  Nadia at Heritage told me that Boomers selling out is definitely a trend, but, that there's been a lot of demand from other collectors to soak up the supply (which is obvious from the auction results).  

19 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Is the Cabal is cashing out?

Not yet!