• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

And to think I sold that Frankenstein piece for Bernie over 24 years ago for $35,000, which was a lot at the time.

MI

Don't feel bad Mitch. Who could have predicted the money in this thing today? 

9 minutes ago, artdealer said:

I don’t feel bad. That was a great price back then. 
no way it will hit 1 mil.

I appreciate guys like you that helped get the art into rotation. You helped the artists, made a living and the rest is  a fireball of variables out of our control. I like to see great art come to auction. If the day comes when the art world collapses as an investment option so be it. My love for art has always come first. Financial value real perceived or otherwise was always a secondary perk for me. 

Oh, again the website looks great and best of luck!!!

Edited by grapeape

1 minute ago, grapeape said:

I appreciate guys like you that helped get the art into rotation. You helped the artists, made a living and the rest is  a fireball of variables out of our control. I like to see great art come to auction. If the day comes when the art world collapses as an investment option so be it. My love for art has always come first. Financial value real perceived or otherwise was always a secondary perk for me. 

Oh, again the website looks great and best of luck!!!

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, 707comics said:

What an amazing auction! Too bad most of the stuff I would like to have has an extra 0 or two in it for some reason :)

According to PIH you could walk away with that Gary Gianni oil and prelim for between $1k and $2k.

lol

lollol

lollollol

lollollollollol

lollollollollollol

Some really nice stuff in this sale.  A bunch of the lots were offered 3 years ago in the Darabont and unnamed collector auction at PIH where tons of The Studio artwork was sold.  I wonder if these are being re-sold by the buyer(s), or, more likely, either the consignor or Profiles has been sitting on them for the past 3 years trying to freshen them up.  I suspect the latter because I remember the BWS Artemis & Apollo piece didn't meet reserve (and now the former $120K reserve on that one looks to be dramatically slashed to $40K this time around).  It's a cool piece, but, you'd need a whole wall to display it properly (it was on display at SDCC 2016).  I like that Kaluta "Crimson God" piece a lot; it was also one of the lots offered in 2016, but, I had already blown my budget for the auction on this BWS piece also in the sale (will not be going for it this time around). 

I do spy one piece in the catalog that I missed out on more than a decade ago when it was available for sale (and then snapped up by someone else in an eyeblink)...I will be in the mix for that one come December. hm 

Edited by delekkerste

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I wonder if these are being re-sold by the buyer(s), or, more likely, either the consignor or Profiles has been sitting on them for the past 3 years trying to freshen them up.

I'm not sure every single piece here is from the same "gentleman" but I certainly know where those non-Darabont lots came from three years ago and I agree it's very unlikely any of them moved in between. Now then...there is a certain middleman that's associated with said "gentleman" and that association has been present all along and followed from Darabont to where several of these pieces have show up quietly in between and, I would now "assume" back to PIH. It's not too hard to connect the dots, if you've been paying attention to all venues since summer 2016. None of this has anything to do with the art, which is stellar across the board (though for every 3 incredible pieces this seems to be at least one that's so-so in comparison, I call this a hi-lo sale ;) due to that). It's just interesting to watch this all unfold; I remain very happy with the piece I pulled to the side post-PIH last time around though the undisclosed damage remains a sore point. For those that are in CFA-APA or somehow end up getting their hands on one from a friend...the piece I'm referring to will be written up in the next one (#109, Winter 2019/20).

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If I win the Powerball before December, I'm going for it. :wishluck: :insane: 

But, otherwise, I will gaze upon it in admiration from afar.  One of the very nicest/coolest/most awesome things, full stop, in our hobby.  This is a piece that can never be overexposed, IMO. 2c 

It has to be Wrightson's opus...

50 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I suspect the latter because I remember the BWS Artemis & Apollo piece didn't meet reserve (and now the former $120K reserve on that one looks to be dramatically slashed to $40K this time around).  It's a cool piece, but, you'd need a whole wall to display it properly (it was on display at SDCC 2016).

I finally got to that one, 59", is that really a problem (open wall that wide to accommodate) for anybody with that wallet to bid? I've taken down and still own (and hang) larger. And I'm, as everybody knows, a nobody! I thought the days of being homeless but rich in art got left behind in the 90s...

I think it's great (if that's the kind of BWS you're after) and those that have the requisite budget to win should!

Edited by vodou
clarity

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Some really nice stuff in this sale.  A bunch of the lots were offered 3 years ago in the Darabont and unnamed collector auction at PIH where tons of The Studio artwork was sold.  I wonder if these are being re-sold by the buyer(s), or, more likely, either the consignor or Profiles has been sitting on them for the past 3 years trying to freshen them up.  I suspect the latter because I remember the BWS Artemis & Apollo piece didn't meet reserve (and now the former $120K reserve on that one looks to be dramatically slashed to $40K this time around).  It's a cool piece, but, you'd need a whole wall to display it properly (it was on display at SDCC 2016).  I like that Kaluta "Crimson God" piece a lot; it was also one of the lots offered in 2016, but, I had already blown my budget for the auction on this BWS piece also in the sale (will not be going for it this time around). 

I do spy one piece in the catalog that I missed out on more than a decade ago when it was available for sale (and then snapped up by someone else in an eyeblink)...I will be in the mix for that one come December. hm 

So are those listed prices that look like bad estimates basically reserves?

51 minutes ago, vodou said:

I finally got to that one, 59", is that really a problem (open wall that wide to accommodate) for anybody with that wallet to bid? I've taken down and still own (and hang) larger. And I'm, as everybody knows, a nobody! I thought the days of being homeless but rich in art got left behind in the 90s...

I think it's great (if that's the kind of BWS you're after) and those that have the requisite budget to win should!

It's not just the size, it's that the piece dominates the room and needs space to breathe.  It would look ridiculous to have this on the wall surrounded by a bunch of Phantom Stranger and Deadpool art. 

7 minutes ago, jaykza said:

So are those listed prices that look like bad estimates basically reserves?

I don't know if the laws are uniform by state, but, at least here in NY, you can't have a reserve that's above the stated low end pre-auction estimate if one is provided by the auction house.  So, yes, the low end of the auction estimate is very often/usually the reserve price.