• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It's not just the size, it's that the piece dominates the room and needs space to breathe.  It would look ridiculous to have this on the wall surrounded by a bunch of Phantom Stranger and Deadpool art. 

Why did I read your response? Now I can't scrub it out of my eyes nor brain.

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

20160721_151305.thumb.jpg.a786ff1f01332630210dfb2772c24127.jpg

Again...white wall (not black) and noooooothing else on that wall.

Big deal?

Maybe you just need to pony up for a joint with bigger walls Gene? (um, and a garage for your track cars?!!)

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Again...white wall (not black) and noooooothing else on that wall.

Big deal?

Maybe you just need to pony up for a joint with bigger walls Gene? (um, and a garage for your track cars?!!)

Easy to say in spacious unwanted rolling fields of Tennessee, but have you SEEN the cost of wall space in New York?!? Every inch costs. If he got a wall that big, even Gene would be broke.

Edited by ESeffinga

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The Frankenstein is probably my single favorite piece of "comic art" ever done...having said that....does anyone really see a million+ for it?

Does anyone with $1m to spend (generally people that know or know those that know how to handle money) see $3-5m in 10 years that would make spending seven figures 'the right move'?

It will be interesting to see how it will do.   I can see how its a grail for some people and the detail is incredible but I always felt like there was too much going on in it and the drama of the moment is completely lost in 343 beakers on shelves.     

I have to think its sub 1m.    I'm not big on the batman 251 cover yet I'd prefer that to this.    

Of course now that I've said that it will probably go for more.

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

the drama of the moment is completely lost in 343 beakers on shelves.

An old artist friend of mine would critique hyperrealism categorically as ultimately (and thus also essentially) unsettling/dissatisfying to the casual viewer because the entire image is all perfectly in-focus. Foreground, background, edges, center, etc. All in focus. Which is not how the human eye actually works. So what would initially be stunning in a slavish technical sense ("mad skillz, yo!") would eventually turn out to be empty calories ("not good art").

image.thumb.png.ed6c103673d9fbca190c238841577ff5.png

I'm not sure if he would ever criticize anything Wrightson, just cuz, but if we were still on speaking terms I would certainly challenge his pro-Wrightson prejudice against that other self-professed standard of his (which I do agree with).

image.thumb.png.df5aadbd2b2e91653966f31c3b504a1a.png

Right.   Some of my  favorite artists are very aware of that and lavish incredible detail on the focal points while barely suggesting the rest.  Frazetta worked that way in at least some of his paintings.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/1/2019 at 8:54 AM, artdealer said:

And to think I sold that Frankenstein piece for Bernie over 24 years ago for $35,000, which was a lot at the time.

MI

I think it was about the same time you sold me my Frankenstein plate Mitch.  I think I paid about 9k, which was also a huge number at the time (one I happily paid and one of the best purchases I ever made).

45 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I think it was about the same time you sold me my Frankenstein plate Mitch.  I think I paid about 9k, which was also a huge number at the time (one I happily paid and one of the best purchases I ever made).

Bro, mid-1990s you were already playin' deep with house money ;)