• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, grapeape said:

I’m old enough to remember that awards show. I was sitting on the floor and when he “moonwalked” I sprung to my feet!

my mouth was open!

For the hat, gloves, etc yeah $2,000,000

For the socks? $2.99

It was an amazing moment but I watched Jeffrey Daniel of Shalamar do it a year earlier on Top Of The Pops !

On 11/7/2019 at 12:15 AM, r100comics said:

It was an amazing moment but I watched Jeffrey Daniel of Shalamar do it a year earlier on Top Of The Pops !

Shalamar was a terrific band. I’ll dig up the tapes. Hope they won’t auction Jeffrey’s socks anytime soon.

Edited by grapeape

On 11/5/2019 at 11:37 AM, Bronty said:

Its not purely apples to apples for sure.  As you know almost none of his line work existed, so the paintings were created to fill that void.

The only reason they are his most valuable works are because what the market would really treasure isn't available.    I have no doubt that if the cover to Uncle Scrooge 1 existed, it would absolutely crush the price for his paintings.

I will second that....US #1 would crush it...

52 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Wouldn’t that be a glorious piece ... a guy can dream.    

I have seen and held the greatest oil collection of carl barks paintings and was hosted the video which was never released. Together the collection was amazing...in my opinion I liked the July 4th of Duckberg  painting the best.....to me it would be a close call but I would have to take the US1...

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I have seen and held the greatest oil collection of carl barks paintings and was hosted the video which was never released. Together the collection was amazing...in my opinion I liked the July 4th of Duckberg  painting the best.....to me it would be a close call but I would have to take the US1...

I'd take US 1 over several of the paintings put together.   But that's me!    I can't think of a better single piece of duckdom possible.

I can't imagine many people choosing differently.

Edited by Bronty

22 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'd take US 1 over several of the paintings put together.   But that's me!    I can't think of a better single piece of duckdom possible.

I can't imagine many people choosing differently.

I would wager I could tempt you...

1003191614_muscleduck.jpg.d2e103c5f5a18a52aa66f545b87b2076.jpg

On 11/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, comix4fun said:

These would go GREAT with those platforms...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/michael-jackson-socks-auction-trnd/index.html

Michael Jackson's socks from his first on-stage moonwalk are up for auction. They could fetch $2 million

Maybe the owner of Tracy Emin's bed should consider bidding on Jacko's socks.  He could display the smelly socks next to Tracy's soiled panties?

Now there's a horrible thought . . .

53 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Maybe the owner of Tracy Emin's bed should consider bidding on Jacko's socks.  He could display the smelly socks next to Tracy's soiled panties?

Now there's a horrible thought . . .

Can't scrub the dirty pictures running through my mind..........Why Voord why?

On 11/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, Carlo M said:

I am not a Wrightson expert but I am also in the camp "lots of detail does not necessarily = great art".  And that applies to comic and other art equally.  Having said that, this particular piece is quite spectacular, and in this case the detail provided is probably instrumental to convey and enforce the obsession of the characters and the drama of the situation.  In other cases, detail is totally gratuitous and...just not for me...

"Lots of detail does not necessarily = great art" I tried to ask master kim jung gi about this...his details are insane, however, an Alex Toth (to me) is more satisfying....my question was lost in translation and I came off like an :)

All that being said, if I hit the lottery tomorrow...I'd bid this up to $800k - heck hypothetical money be darned - make it $900k!