• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2019 at 12:00 PM, Cleangone said:

Here's an in-person pic of the Wrightson at PIH, taken at an angle for obvious reasons (i.e. I'm not taking that thing out of the mylar... :)

The condition is not as bad as it looks online or the printed catalog, but it is noticeable.  It's something the buyer will have to come to terms with, and IMO, will affect the price.

wrightson.jpg

This picture looks perfectly acceptable compared to the picture in the catalog.  If it really looks like this, condition is not a concern (although 25 years from now might be a different story).

For those in the NYC area:

PIH has a special viewing of approximately 40 pieces.  Unfortunately, the original Wrightson Frankenstein piece will not make the trip from the West Coast.  However, a high quality giclee of it is expected to be there for viewing.

This is being arranged through fellow CGC boardie, Rob Pistella.  Rob is also the curator / consultant for many of the comic art exhibits at the Society of Illustrators in NYC.

East Coast — Dec. 5 – Dec. 7

Society of Illustrators

128 E 63rd St. New York, NY

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

5 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

For those in the NYC area:

PIH has a special viewing of approximately 40 pieces.  Unfortunately, the original Wrightson Frankenstein piece will not make the trip from the West Coast.  However, a high quality giclee of it is expected to be there for viewing.

This is being arranged through fellow CGC boardie, Rob Pistella.  Rob is also the curator / consultant for many of the comic art exhibits at the Society of Illustrators in NYC.

East Coast — Dec. 5 – Dec. 7

Society of Illustrators

128 E 63rd St. New York, NY

Thanks Nelson! I will be there all day those days and people can either come on in, or make an appointment to see the art! You can email me at robpistella at mac.com. I will have a very nice selection of this landmark collection that has been off the market in one collector's hands for many years. 

On 11/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, delekkerste said:

It's a cool piece, but, you'd need a whole wall to display it properly

After leaving BWS, unfinished, Artemis & Apollo was indeed displayed on a whole wall.

Once upon a time in Houston, Texas...

(Based on actual events...to protect the innocent[red balloons have been added])

The Sale.jpg

The current owner kept the Wrightson Frankenstein wrap around cover in the same frame that Henry H. had...

To the right of the photo of Henry H.'s living room that's not shown above the small tv stand was BWS's masterpiece "Fate Sowing the Stars"...that oil painting after seeing it in person IMHO could hold its own against those masterpieces by Millais, Rossetti...no kidding...the size, colors, composition...it was stunning...viewing his collection in person was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in this hobby!

10 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

After leaving BWS, unfinished, Artemis & Apollo was indeed displayed on a whole wall.

Once upon a time in Houston, Texas...

(Based on actual events...to protect the innocent[red balloons have been added])

The Sale.jpg

This is a really great picture. I'm glad somebody decided to take it! (always "no biggie" at the time, but once the moment is lost...)

As it turns out, BWS has all the requisite breathing space and then some (if you were still with us Henry...time for some new furniture though!) but it's Jeffrey's Innocence that isn't being treated right lol

Now everybody, even Gene, can see that large horizontal pieces are not the same challenge as large vertical pieces can be to hang!