• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

Thanks to Rob and the Society of Illustrators for the private viewing of some of the PIH originals.  The high resolution giclee of the Wrightson Frankenstein piece may not have been the original but it was still breathtaking.  Grail is an over used term.  The Frankenstein piece really is a Grail.

The Byrne FF team splash is iconic.  The oversized Al Williamson piece is just amazing to see in person.

Rob also coordinated with Dan Pottick and got several fellow CGC boardies and OA collectors to attend.  

It was great catching up with friends and fun meeting new ones.

I'm sorry I did not have a chance to speak with everyone but hopefully at a future gathering.

I will be emailing a few people privately in the next few days.  For those visiting NYC, have a safe trip back home.  Enjoy the holiday season everyone.

Cheers!

N.

Yes, everyone knows me as Animated Ink. Lol.

18 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Thanks to Rob and the Society of Illustrators for the private viewing of some of the PIH originals.  The high resolution giclee of the Wrightson Frankenstein piece may not have been the original but it was still breathtaking.  Grail is an over used term.  The Frankenstein piece really is a Grail.

The Byrne FF team splash is iconic.  The oversized Al Williamson piece is just amazing to see in person.

Rob also coordinated with Dan Pottick and got several fellow CGC boardies and OA collectors to attend.  

It was great catching up with friends and fun meeting new ones.

I'm sorry I did not have a chance to speak with everyone but hopefully at a future gathering.

I will be emailing a few people privately in the next few days.  For those visiting NYC, have a safe trip back home.  Enjoy the holiday season everyone.

Cheers!

N.

Yes, everyone knows me as Animated Ink. Lol.

Sorry I couldn’t make it! I heard I was there in spirit lol 

Mel and I had a great time. Thanks to Rob for bringing out the stuff. And to Dan. It was great seeing everyone and catching up!

And The Cabal clubhouse is pretty cool! I mean, I had to tear up a Sal B. cover in front of them to gain entrance, but wow was it worth it!

thanks all! We had a great time at the Society of Illustrators where we hosted a preview of our December 12 sale at Profiles in History. 

Best way to register for this sale is here:

https://profilesinhistory.com/auction-registration-landing-page/?auctionid=23891

Here are some photos from the preview, we had over 75 enthusiastic collectors preview the art... 

Rob

IMG_6831.jpg

59744343258__56F62E94-A1FB-4E2C-815E-585335BD258F.JPG

59744243654__5F9FE554-5CA4-475F-859C-AD038FDAB484.JPG

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg copy.jpg

Nice pics Rob.  Might seem like a weird observation, but it looks like a decent mix of ages represented, and not a room full of old geezers.  Newer, younger blood in the hobby is a good thing from a longevity standpoint, and that demographic looks well represented at this preview.  Now are those actual buyers, or just looky-loos kicking the tires?  That's the question.

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Nice pics Rob.  Might seem like a weird observation, but it looks like a decent mix of ages represented, and not a room full of old geezers.  Newer, younger blood in the hobby is a good thing from a longevity standpoint, and that demographic looks well represented at this preview.  Now are those actual buyers, or just looky-loos kicking the tires?  That's the question.

Hi Scott! I really didn't try to take representative pictures as I was busy discussing the sale. FOR SURE there were a lot of younger collectors entering our hobby and interested in buying. I don't think they were tire kickers. There were many 20s-30s I just didn't photograph. It was refreshing to see that. Also they were very interested in the craft involved in making a comic age. Earlier that day a NYC art school (Fashion Institute) came in and they LOVED the art and the fact that the art was hand penciled and inked and lettered and not done via computer. 

Top 2 lots in auction....one a hidden gem

1: COLORAMA orignal 5 page story art and table of contents page with panel(rare). This is a true classic of the 50's..in black Cat #45 and #61.it has been reprinted without table of contents page and of course the original cover art is considered a classic also.  6 pages total with bid at only $400. Interesting to note its was slightly modified in one panel when reprinted under the code, plus a word balloon at the end. I can't believe this is not in the major auction section. The comic book art and story are GREAT.

2-I ROCKET-EC at its best, pure energy. This is an example how far the comic art form can go with you have a publisher who cares, an author who writes a great story, and of course the best original art  artists combo every assembled. Great stuff

Edited by Mmehdy

I think as long as prices remain as high as they are, art collecting is always gonna be 30+. The simple fact is that those are the folks who generally have disposable income who aren’t always looking to spend all of it on “experiences”.

25 minutes ago, buttock said:

I just tried to sign up to bid and was told I have to send in a copy of my ID and put a $500 hold on my card?!?  What kinda crack are they smoking?

I remember doing that ha ha. Wasn’t thrilled but Michael is easy to deal with. The hold falls off in a week. :o

2 hours ago, buttock said:

I just tried to sign up to bid and was told I have to send in a copy of my ID and put a $500 hold on my card?!?  What kinda crack are they smoking?

Fair warning to everyone all online bidding is going to cost you 28% of the final sales price. Depending on where you live add sales tax so ouch. I think that’s because I Collect has to get their share.

Cheapest bite  is 20% by registering For telephone, mail in or in person bids. Still time but better read up on it. That cuts I Collect out of it I believe.

Sales tax if applicable still applies. :|

Edited by grapeape

I submitted my bids through their Absentee Bidder form online this evening.  The webpage said that my form was submitted successfully, but, I wish they'd send me an e-mail to confirm both receipt of my bids, as well as the amounts.  I mean, if I accidentally typed in one too many zeroes, I'd be both oblivious and screwed right now. :eek: 

54 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I submitted my bids through their Absentee Bidder form online this evening.  The webpage said that my form was submitted successfully, but, I wish they'd send me an e-mail to confirm both receipt of my bids, as well as the amounts.  I mean, if I accidentally typed in one too many zeroes, I'd be both oblivious and screwed right now. :eek: 

The Cabal doesn't offer loans (shrug)