• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I submitted my bids through their Absentee Bidder form online this evening.  The webpage said that my form was submitted successfully, but, I wish they'd send me an e-mail to confirm both receipt of my bids, as well as the amounts.  I mean, if I accidentally typed in one too many zeroes, I'd be both oblivious and screwed right now. :eek: 

Ya very poor communication by PiH thus far, does not reflect well.

14 hours ago, grapeape said:

Fair warning to everyone all online bidding is going to cost you 28% of the final sales price. Depending on where you live add sales tax so ouch. I think that’s because I Collect has to get their share.

Cheapest bite  is 20% by registering For telephone, mail in or in person bids. Still time but better read up on it. That cuts I Collect out of it I believe.

Sales tax if applicable still applies. :|

Good heads up, they don't necessarily put those fees out front you really have to dig to find them. 28% + sales taxes = nasty surprise!

ALL of the fees tax, buyers premium and even shipping SHOULD ALL be calculated on screen and visible on your next bid button... I wonder why they save that information to be revealed at check out? hm

There ought to be a law....

Edited by gumbydarnit

1 minute ago, gumbydarnit said:

Good heads up, they don't necessarily put those fees out front you really have to dig to find them. 28% + sales taxes = nasty surprise!

ALL of the fees tax, buyers premium and even shipping SHOULD be calculated on screen and visible on your next bid button... I wonder why they save that information to be revealed at check out? hm

I called them to clear up the 0-28% scale. They do provide options but of course I’m used to auction online with eBay, HA and C Link. Easier for me but imagine 28% on a $750,000 bid.

So bidding online with PIH will cost us the most.

No please don’t do the math and hurt your heads fellow board friends. 
ITS A LOT OF DOUGH 

3 hours ago, O. said:

Ya very poor communication by PiH thus far, does not reflect well.

For those that only know the Heritage Experience: this is SOP for 'smaller' houses. The best part is you still get to pay 20% or more in BP, so at least that'll be familiar ;)

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I submitted my bids through their Absentee Bidder form online this evening.  The webpage said that my form was submitted successfully, but, I wish they'd send me an e-mail to confirm both receipt of my bids, as well as the amounts.  I mean, if I accidentally typed in one too many zeroes, I'd be both oblivious and screwed right now. :eek: 

“He got a pretty little absentee bid don’t he?”

7F66996C-5402-45F4-81C2-334D2D4CA500.jpeg.3ca6e8cb9035a661e7cade4eb9449246.jpeg

3 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

ALL of the fees tax, buyers premium and even shipping SHOULD ALL be calculated on screen and visible on your next bid button... I wonder why they save that information to be revealed at check out? hm

28%, Calif 10% sales tax, shipping say 2%...40% WOW

The 8% difference in bp is the convenience fee you pay NOT to have to talk to another person, which adds some odd element of judgment to the bidding process.

Many years ago I registered to telephone bid on a series of lots in Switzerland (not comic art). I was totally out of my league and had no clue how out of my league I was. At one point the nice gentleman on the long distance line asked me "Sir, do you intend to place any bids at all." I said, sorry and hung up feeling like the tool that I was.

edit: I should add it wasn't clear to me that these European houses were running auctions where the low end estimate was opening bid. So I went into this thinking deals could be had, possibly, which wasn't the case at all. 

Edited by cstojano

ASM 37 page 8 won on the floor bid at $75,000. That price does not include 20% so the buyer gets an extra $15,000 tacked on. Then if the buyer pays and takes away the art in person they pay 9.5% based on the auction house location.

62732BBF-4729-496A-8E16-1E9067FA014C.jpeg.439685fa8394c5504586a12797db4795.jpeg

The other 5 ASM pages with no Spidey

(one half face and a final Panel figure  face) stayed within the 20-30 K estimates.

Edited by grapeape

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Thanks!  Looks like I bought my first Kaluta at half my maximum bid!! :banana: 

Was hoping for a similar result on the Hush DPS, but alas, someone took it one increment higher than my absentee bid. The vig + sales tax was suffucating, even after sidestepping the 8% iCollector charge.