• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I think PIH charges California sales tax for everyone (that is not exempt) since the live auction is in that state.

Really? That's a new one. If correct, there's going to be a lot surprised out of state bidders!

1 minute ago, gumbydarnit said:

What is interesting is, it will be touted as the first 1M piece of comic book art ever sold, but it isn't really comic book art... it's a book illustration, so we really haven't reached that milestone have we?

Correct. Highest comic art remains Crumb Fritz #1 cover.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:54 AM, artdealer said:

And to think I sold that Frankenstein piece for Bernie over 24 years ago for $35,000, which was a lot at the time.

MI

:takeit: .......grapeape dreams of going back in time.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, vodou said:

FWIW for the finance guys out there, the simple ROI math is 15% annualized is "double every five years" or 25 years = ca. $1,120,000. Top end of estimate isn't too far off what you could make in many buy/hold situations that were present back then and didn't crater every several years for dot-com, 9/11, housing, etc ;)

Nostrvodouamas has spoken!!!

PIH did not charge me sales tax the last time I won a lot, which I think was their last auction. They have that blanket warning but did not actually charge it to me in Arizona.

no Ken Kelly Conan for me.

no Ploog Conan for me.

A distinguished gentleman I am not. 

Edited by cstojano

3 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

What is interesting is, it will be touted as the first 1M piece of comic book art ever sold, but it isn't really comic book art... it's a book illustration, so we really haven't reached that milestone have we?

There's also EQ, used as an Eerie cover, which trumps all.  https://www.finebooksmagazine.com/news/frazettas-egyptian-queen-sets-54-million-world-record-heritage-auctions

Really cool seeing the Bernie result.  Woo !!

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

A distinguished gentleman I am not. 

Maybe the real distinguished gentleman was inside us all along...

Edited by NewCollector101