• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, Mmehdy said:

28%, Calif 10% sales tax, shipping say 2%...40% WOW

Yeah, and unless they specifically have proxy bidding, expect that your bid will just be grabbed regardless of the current activity.

They may not just bid up for you like you have expected on ebay or heritage.

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

PIH did not charge me sales tax the last time I won a lot, which I think was their last auction. They have that blanket warning but did not actually charge it to me in Arizona.

no Ken Kelly Conan for me.

no Ploog Conan for me.

A distinguished gentleman I am not. 

Good to know, whew !

10 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Welp, this line from HA is good enough for me, and plenty others...

"The Egyptian Queen first appeared in print as the cover for Eerie magazine #23 in mid-1969, and as multiple prints and posters over subsequent decades."

Egyptian Queen is comic art - it was published on the cover of a comic magazine after all - but the reason people question that at first is because the value derives from Franks non-comic body of work.   In other words, nobody is paying 7 figures for it because it’s the cover of Eerie 23 , they are paying for the frazetta brand and Almost nothing else.    Therefore, it’s comic art, but with an asterisk. 

The Wrightson on the other hand is most assuredly NOT comic art since it was not published in a comic book (or comic magazine for that matter).   (I haven’t read the 1983 Frankenstein but I presume it’s a standard copy of the book with wrightson illos. However, since the Frankenstein was published by marvel and aimed at a comic art audience, it ‘feels’ more like comic art in some ways.   It also looks more like your standard comic art being pen and ink.    However it clearly is not comic art in any way since it did not illustrate a comic book or magazine. 

The take away, to me, is that both these pieces are odd ducks from a classification POV and not your standard comic OA.    They both require some thought in classifying then.    From that POV it’s a bit odd that they should be 1 and 2 in terms of Heritage’s US ‘comic art and near comic art’ auction results .    I guess we are all still waiting for a hulk 181 cover auction.....

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I guess we are all still waiting for a hulk 181 cover auction.....

...cuz Neal Adams ain't gettin' it done ;)

And of course, the Hulk 181 cover result would be 100% about Trimpe and have very little to do with anything else lol

Edited by vodou
misspelling

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

However, since the Frankenstein was published by marvel and aimed at a comic art audience, it ‘feels’ more like comic art in some ways.

Stan Lee presents: Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's Frankenstein

26 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Stan Lee presents: Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's Frankenstein

Okay, but Stan Lee also presented cartoons and god knows what else.   His presentation doesn't turn a novel into a comic book.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Okay, but Stan Lee also presented cartoons and god knows what else.   His presentation doesn't turn a novel into a comic book.

Stan Lee presents: His signature on pair of white athletic socks if handed to him. Or so the legend goes.

R I P 

Edited by grapeape

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

I love it, feels like we're being fine art elitists with this stuff.

That isn't comic original art, no sir!  It's from... a book. Gasp  :O   lol

So true.

It hasn't sold in a while but this is the most valuable (priceless even?!!) published comic art in the world.

image.png.6f85f8cb7263d9008da3017cab02bdfb.png

Original "comic" art has a big problem. It's no secret. The problem is: all the 1%er trophies are M.I.A.

Where's Action #1 cover?

Where's Detective #28 cover?

Where's FF #1 cover?

Where's AF #15 or ASM #1 covers?

Even TOS #39, we've seen the guts but where's the cover?

Instead we debate what's a comic, what's comic art (it's not Frazetta oils...L O L!) and try to pretend this whole thing is legit.

No.

It's a phenomenal crown where all the diamonds and emeralds are missing, somebody got 'em when no one was looking and all that's left is some lesser (Chic) Stones.

Sad.

But true.

At least nobody wanted those Sal Bees..plenty of those to go around ;) , they appear to line the cage the (once glorious) crown sits in.

21 minutes ago, vodou said:

So true.

It hasn't sold in a while but this is the most valuable (priceless even?!!) published comic art in the world.

image.png.6f85f8cb7263d9008da3017cab02bdfb.png

I find it cool (even if obvious) that both HA and PIH decided to include EQ and Frankie in comic OA auctions... knowing that's where the obsession and $$$ would be for these pieces.

You know what would end this debate is if a certain someone won it... there is NO DOUBT that it will soon be made into a Marvel Comics Frankenstein #1 cover with all the title graphics GLUED to the art. There you have it... the first comic book art to hit 1M!