• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

And, honestly, it's not drawn as if someone is standing there...in the lab....while these two are having their disagreement and thus they can only focus on three beakers. 

It doesn't fail because science says someone standing there can only focus on a few items at a time. It doesn't fail at all. 

It's created to set the scene in complete detail, not too much detail, just exact detail. It's perfection. 

Absurd you need to lay this out. Didn't realize the "rules" of art required the exact depiction of human visual perception. Instead of hating alll you need to say is "I can never afford it so I feel less of a human being." lmao

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Thoughts on Beltran as new manager?

I remember Beltran with the bases loaded and a 0-2 count against the Cardinals. I remember the bat sitting on his shoulders as strike three zipped by sending Cardinals to the world series..Not happy at all with this choice. That said I will support him as long as I can hoping we get off to a fast start next year. Our window is closing and we won't have this pitching much longer.

Edited by grapeape

Just now, grapeape said:

I remember Beltran with the bases loaded and a 3-2 count against the Cardinals. I remember the bat sitting on his shoulders as strike three zipped by sending Cardinals to the world series..Not happy at all with this choice. That said I will support him as long as I can hoping we get off to a fast start next year. Our window is closing and we won't have this pitching much longer.

Another dam rookie manager Brodie doesn’t have to feel threatened by. This team owned the eventual WS champions this year record wise...they have NOW talent. Why would you waste that on an unproven feel good pick?!

5 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Another dam rookie manager Brodie doesn’t have to feel threatened by. This team owned the eventual WS champions this year record wise...they have NOW talent. Why would you waste that on an unproven feel good pick?!

Agreed. Didn't it hurt? watching Washington carve the same path to a championship that we easily could have taken. I told anyone that would listen, " just make the damn playoffs." All those blown saves. This Beltran move is another shaky gamble. If we don't make the playoffs this year......;.

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

And, honestly, it's not drawn as if someone is standing there...in the lab....while these two are having their disagreement and thus they can only focus on three beakers. 

It doesn't fail because science says someone standing there can only focus on a few items at a time. It doesn't fail at all. 

It's created to set the scene in complete detail, not too much detail, just exact detail. It's perfection. 

I really liked @Eric Seffinga ‘s guitar solo analogy.   I don’t know how you can say that it isn’t too much detail, it clearly is in any kind of narrative analysis because at two people on this thread  didn’t even see the third body amidst the clutter.  

Its not just a guitar solo.    It’s a freaking fourteen minute long guitar solo.    Some people will have their minds blown by that.   And some wanted to get back to the main part of the song 12 minutes ago.     Doesn’t make it perfection or a failure either.    Just what it is.   For the guitar solo crowd, it’s mind melting.   For the people less into that, it’s impressive but they’d rather listen to something else at the end of the day.

Edited by Bronty

Welcome to the Bronty/Vodou School of Art Appreciation

1Bosch.jpg.0dbf5216d9c84d3745c1e2289a274bcd.jpg

"Too many creatures, didn't even notice ____, ____ and ____", "Where's the Focal Point??  My eyes can't absorb it all.  Just a hot mess.  Didn't this guy know that you have to master the rules before you break them like this?"  

934342044_1Hobbema.thumb.jpg.9a4ab819454c6748ec0ca53712bd40bf.jpg

"This guy is the Yngwie Malmsteen of Dutch landscape artists.  And, yes, we know that Yngwie is Swedish.  SO. MANY. LEAVES!!  This painting is like a 22-minute guitar solo.  All filler, no killer.  Unless you've got 3 heads like Ghidorah, there's just no way all of this detail is going to fit into your 3-D cone of vision."

129936731_Borisduo.thumb.jpg.540a8f4e7d2788e41e8608e3f701cca6.jpg

"Sheer perfection.  Central focal point.  No extraneous characters.  Strikes just the right balance between being realistically detailed but stops short of boring hyper-realism. A modern masterpiece if there ever was one.  And check out the unit on that guy!"