• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicBookDB Shutting Down

40 posts in this topic

I have been using comicbookdb also (always loved the site, real upset its closing).  

I have thousands of comics already logged there, does any one know any site where the CSV export from comicbookdb can actually be used to upload into?

On 11/1/2019 at 12:14 PM, lonetree said:

For many years, I have relied on ComicBookDB.COM  as a resource for artists, covers, etc.  It has been a fantastic resource.  Sadly, they have announced the website is closing on Dec 16th. 

What other Resources is everyone using?

Thanks, Brian

ComicBookDB.thumb.jpg.6023e31ced2f0dcc2c166834ce73b48c.jpg

"as we look towards creating a new and improved tool for collectors to utilize."

I would imagine they will return as an app.

2 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

"as we look towards creating a new and improved tool for collectors to utilize."

I would imagine they will return as an app.

If they planned on coming back soon I would assume they would offer more info at this point.  So that all there users dont leave for other apps, because once you enter your whole collection into another app the chances of switching back are very slim.

11 minutes ago, malloc said:

If they planned on coming back soon I would assume they would offer more info at this point.  So that all there users dont leave for other apps, because once you enter your whole collection into another app the chances of switching back are very slim.

Maybe the new tool doesn't accommodate collections?

I have over 6,000 books logged in there - all with cover photos - and now it's just going into the garbage?

I've spent days on that site logging in information and using it as a tool to keep my own collection in check.  It was great for looking up creators and artists and it was just a wealth of information.

So what do I do now?

Seriously?

-E

On 11/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, comicginger1789 said:

What about stash my comics? Anyone use that? Is it any good?

I use it to keep my comics organized (inventory control) and that's about it.  There are times they don't have the newest releases available and their covers aren't always covered.  Their values are way off from other sites too.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:48 PM, Eric M. Rom said:

I have over 6,000 books logged in there - all with cover photos - and now it's just going into the garbage?

I've spent days on that site logging in information and using it as a tool to keep my own collection in check.  It was great for looking up creators and artists and it was just a wealth of information.

So what do I do now?

Seriously?

-E

Perhaps excel? maybe it would transfer?

Of course My excel spreadsheet I'm locked out of updating as well, perhaps I have too old a version of Office? it's Office 2013 lol But it stinks :( 

3 hours ago, Capn17 said:

I use it to keep my comics organized (inventory control) and that's about it.  There are times they don't have the newest releases available and their covers aren't always covered.  Their values are way off from other sites too.

Yeah I dont so much care about a site that gives values. I more so just want an easy to use database that tracks what I have an is easily accessibly on my phone if I am out hunting :)

12 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah I dont so much care about a site that gives values. I more so just want an easy to use database that tracks what I have an is easily accessibly on my phone if I am out hunting :)

Stashmycomics is not the greatest for on the go reference.  It does not have a "mobile friendly" website nor do they have an app.  I've used it on the go, but with low expectations on accessibility.  Is it usable?  yes.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:34 AM, BCarter27 said:

I find the GCD interface unusable.

It is a bit clunky and maybe overcomplicated in terms of the many search options.  

Also, difficult to use on a smartphone without pinch magnifying a great deal.

It's the only alternative I was aware of to ComicBookDB, which I also felt had similar design limitations.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

GCD is far superior, regardless of whether it wasn't built to support some specific feature you like.

I have no clue how to import a .csv file with over 6000 books into the GCD. 

I don't even know if you can keep track of a collection on that site.  I have no idea how to add a book or anything.

7 minutes ago, Eric M. Rom said:

I have no clue how to import a .csv file with over 6000 books into the GCD. 

I don't even know if you can keep track of a collection on that site.  I have no idea how to add a book or anything.

You can. I can't help you with any specifics because I do not use it to track my collection, but there is currently something on the homepage addressing importing collections.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:35 PM, ComicBookNut2019 said:

I miss the site already. I used it 2 keep track of character appearances in chronological order. No other site does that, so now I have 2 wait til they come back....sigh

Dude, I miss it too.  Like, a lot.  I never thought that I could feel this upset over a website closing down. 

Also, I do not believe that the site will come back, at least not nearly anything like it was.  It was bought by comicbook.com.  Go and check out their database that they've had a link to for years.  You can't because there isn't one and never was one.  Also, that website is lousy with ads.  Oh, and they are owned by CBS.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:35 PM, ComicBookNut2019 said:

I miss the site already. I used it 2 keep track of character appearances in chronological order. No other site does that, so now I have 2 wait til they come back....sigh

I used comicbookdb for the same reason.  It was so well organized.  And while I couldn't find anything that well put together, I did find these two that do a reasonable job of listing character appearances in similar fashion.

This is a site that lists Marvel characters, alphabetized, in chronological appearances...

https://www.chronologyproject.com/a.php 

And here is the key that helps you understand the abbreviated comic titles...

https://www.chronologyproject.com/key.php

Here is a website that does the same for DC characters...

http://dcuguide.com/w/Chronologies