• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WARNING: eBay Sellers - The Buyer is ALWAYS right ( if eBay decides! )
2 2

156 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, southern cross said:

Many comic book stores I have visited don't put a grade on their books. Yes they grade the book themselves and price accordingly and it's up to the customer to see the condition of the book themselves and decide if the price is right for them

Which is totally fine when you can inspect a book in hand. I don't need anyone to tell me the grade when I can do it myself.

However, the online experience is different and I expect sellers to adjust accordingly. :sumo:

Edited by Mr. Zipper

31 minutes ago, Point Five said:

It must be said, Ebay's current Purchase History interface certainly dangles red meat in front of those problem buyers... :taptaptap:

1175086104_ScreenShot2019-11-05at11_45_11AM.png.9f5d128490e8a6d280791a704bda03fe.png

The fact that "Return this item" exists larger than "Leave feedback" highlights a focus problem...

I noticed that awhile ago.

Spoke ( phone ) to a human at eBay Today — bottom line - anyone can return anything for any reason - does not matter who’s right / wrong .... doesn’t matter if your auction says no returns. If they hit that return button, your PayPal account get funds frozen for the amount of that transaction. Only way around it - if they don’t send the item back within 10 days, they will find in the Sellers favor and cancel the return process / unfreeze funds - but you have to call and request it. —-

So, eBay will freeze funds automatically if the buyer pushes the return button, but there’s no electronic / automated system to ”unfreeze“ funds - you have to do that ‘manually’ by calling. Short of that 10 day return time limit and spending an hour on hold for ‘the next available....’ - if you’re a seller..... you’re screwed 

Edited by showcase4

9 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

Spoke ( phone ) to a human at eBay Today — bottom line - anyone can return anything for any reason - does not matter who’s right / wrong .... doesn’t matter if your auction says no returns. If they hit that return button, your PayPal account get funds frozen for the amount of that transaction. Only way around it - if they don’t send the item back within 10 days, they will find in the Sellers favor and cancel the return process / unfreeze funds - but you have to call and request it. —-

So, eBay will freeze funds automatically if the buyer pushes the return button, but there’s no electronic / automated system to ”unfreeze“ funds - you have to do that ‘manually’ by calling. Short of that 10 day return time limit and spending an hour on hold for ‘the next available....’ - if you’re a seller..... you’re screwed 

@Buzzetta

On 11/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, mattn792 said:

Yikes.  Sad part is they’ll keep this up until the stock tanks.  

Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but for me it’s not hard to imagine in the not-too-distant future the Managed Payments evolving into the Bay just holding the funds until the buyer receives the item and waiting for the buyer to give the “all ok” before releasing the funds to the seller. 

While I do have about a short box and a half books I would like to sell, actually I really only have a couple of big-ticket items that I’d really like to hopefully move before they force everyone to adopt this. 

Then I won’t care, they can do whatever they won’t care. 

Edited by Number 6

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but for me it’s not hard to imagine in the not-too-distant future the Managed Payments evolving into the Bay just holding the funds until the buyer receives the item and waiting for the buyer to give the “all ok” before releasing the funds to the seller. 

While I do have about a short box and a half books I would like to sell, actually I really only have a couple of big-ticket items that I’d really like to hopefully move before they force everyone to adopt this. 

I don’t think your being paranoid at all, they keep putting the screws to sellers, so there’s ample reason to suspect they’ll one day start a policy of holding funds hostage by default.  Wonder how long they’d give the buyer to give the ok...a week?  Two?  A month?  90 days?  All seem plausible.

The extremely liberal return policy and the reckless application of it are certainly enough to give me great pause if I was looking to sell any high priced item. Imagine selling a five figure key and then getting an email from ebay 179 days later stating "there's a problem"?

About 15 years ago I sold an FF 1 to someone who was a member here and they Paypal scammed me 44 days later. Not going to let that happen again.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:34 PM, mattn792 said:

Yikes.  Sad part is they’ll keep this up until the stock tanks.  

Yup

The problem with eBay is that their system is sooooo carefully set in place for decades now, and in order for them to evolve and be more up to date like amazon, they will have to do a crazy demo-job which will probably bring the platform to its knees. Yet they wanna do everything else like Amazon; sponsored listings, managed payments, FBA (or FBE I guess)... Pretty much everything... But they dont understand that their platform and user base is TOTALLY different than Amazon.

Theyre kinda like Myspace vs Facebook of 2007 (if anyone remembers)

Very sad

Edited by Aweandlorder

RE: buyer AGREED with my Description and Grading. He said he found a "very minor manufacturing defect" with one of the 2 book in this auction -- he attached pics -- I didn't see ANYTHING - no idea what the problem is ( he must have literally used a Microscope - or just be a nut job! ) / my problem = eBay!

I called eBay / emailed the Buyer and Ebay -- letting them know I didn't print the book, I just sold it -- and the buyer admitted everything about my Ad was correct --it was a Manufacturing Concern. Here is the end result --- 

eBay Customer Support made a decision  

Hi showcase-

We're sorry there was a problem with this transaction. After reviewing the case, we made a final decision in the buyer's favor.

Details:
Decision:
This case has been decided in the buyer's favor.

Comments:
The buyer has been asked to return the item to you. Once tracking shows the item has been delivered to you, the buyer will be issued a refund. If the buyer uses an eBay provided shipping label to return the item, you will be required to pay the shipping and will see this charge on your invoice.

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

Marvel House of X Powers of X #2 Putri Connecting Variant 2019 NM/MT 9.8 UNREAD!
Marvel House of X Powers of X #2 Putri Connecting Variant 2019 NM/MT 9.8 UNREAD!
Item # : 174064759872
Sale price: $118.50
Quantity: 1
Sale date: Oct-17-19 06:50:52 PDT

7879.jpg

78799.jpg

787999.jpg

7879999.jpg

Edited by showcase4

On 11/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, Number 6 said:

I was told by a CSR eBay rep supervisor that it is best not to sell big ticket items on eBay and you are better served selling items like that at dedicated auction houses geared toward that item.

I am very well aware that there will come a day that I may sell a five figure book.   I am also very well aware that I will not be using eBay to handle that transaction.  I will be using ComicConnect, CLink, or Heritage. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I was told by a CSR eBay rep supervisor that it is best not to sell big ticket items on eBay and you are better served selling items like that at dedicated auction houses geared toward that item.

I am very well aware that there will come a day that I may sell a five figure book.   I am also very well aware that I will not be using eBay to handle that transaction.  I will be using ComicConnect, CLink, or Heritage. 

omg that guy sold his Action #1 9.0 on ebay!  wonder if buyer returned 'not as described'

1 minute ago, Mr. Zipper said:

You cannot expect eBay reps to know the nuances of the hobby and absorb all these details. You were doomed from the start.

Bottom line: buyer was not happy and wanted refund. eBay will say "yes" the vast majority of the time unless there is BLATANT fraud that can be easily observed by anyone.

You're playing with fire by listing any raw book as a 9.8. It doesn't matter if it is a 9.8. It's only a matter of time before you run into an anal retentive kook looking to prove his superior grading prowess.

x1000

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Well, “big ticket” is a relative term. The couple of items I have are “big ticket” for me, but would probably be considered cheep drek to most of the high-rollers here. They’re certainly not five-figure items, and wouldn’t be a lock for getting top-dollar at auction. 

Unfortunately, the ‘Bay is probably the best venue for the type of items I’m selling....for as long as it lasts.