• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WARNING: eBay Sellers - The Buyer is ALWAYS right ( if eBay decides! )
2 2

156 posts in this topic

Well... 1+ week after my eBAy “ Hell Week”  — frozen funds, unsatisfied ( unjustifiably! ) buyers, and reading all comments here, I have to come this conclusion:

1. eBay has NO viable competition for selling ‘RAW’ Comics

2. I will continue to use their Venue, and “Be Me” - Sell using my experience as an accomplished raw grader, and boldly state the numeric grade I assign to each and every sale

3. hope that one of ..... you? has the ambition, Financial backing, desire and energy it takes to “build a better mouse trap”  ~ that I don’t!

just listed 2 more raw, “my grade given” auctions, and moving forward ... :wishluck:

Edited by showcase4

On 11/9/2019 at 12:09 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

You cannot expect eBay reps to know the nuances of the hobby and absorb all these details. You were doomed from the start.

Bottom line: buyer was not happy and wanted refund. eBay will say "yes" the vast majority of the time unless there is BLATANT fraud that can be easily observed by anyone.

You're playing with fire by listing any raw book as a 9.8. It doesn't matter if it is a 9.8. It's only a matter of time before you run into an anal retentive kook looking to prove his superior grading prowess.

Agreed.  Listing a raw book on ebay as a 9.8 is asking for trouble.  You're gonna get picky buyers who're looking for a perfect book to send to CGC and if they see any flaws they'll return it at your cost.

yeah no way would I list raw books as 9.8 on ebay, or anywhere else. Seems to be asking for trouble, and it's a really tough guarantee to follow through with. No matter how good of a grader anyone thinks themselves to be, why risk it? Good luck, though.  Doesn't excuse crappy buyers from working the system to screw honest sellers, obviously.

@fastballspecial - I’ve sold some High Grade Moderns on eBay over the past 2 Weeks, since starting this thread, and do appreciate and used your advice ( seriously (thumbsu ) You’re obviously one of the sharpest knives in the drawer on these Boards :smile:

This time, I did NOT give a numeric grade — just general info including a “generic/safe” description and NM for condition- and they sold for 75% of what they would have / should have - had I used my ‘normal’ detailed description -and a numeric & alphabetic grade  ~

I’ve accepted that I will now have funds frozen on a few transactions, due to “never happy, returns are inevitable” Buyers.....

I will NOT accept a 25% hit on everything, because I’m scared of those few buyers.

Sell an Uber-High Grade 9.8 as a ‘dumbed down’, generic NM because “they” ‘might’ come across my auction and end up the high bidder? -  that’s CRAZY

I’m not scared of anything, except Spidersthey absolutely horrify me 🕷

Edited by showcase4

On 11/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, kav said:

@showcase4 you have to call ebay.  Messaging them does absolutely nothing.  Them guys in the Phillipines dont like reading stuff.  866-540-3229 

@kav

Maybe you didn't know that I am deaf in my whole life.  When I called that number and all other numbers through the video relay service (all of them are certified American Sign Language interpreters [slang for terp(s)] - some lousy terps don't deserve the certification). Nearly all of my interpreters have a hard time to understand them with heavy accents (few of them with clear spoken English). Even some of them have failed to understand my humors.

Edited by JollyComics

On 11/9/2019 at 7:28 PM, Beige said:

In the end - @showcase4 - I'm sorry you couldn't work something out with the buyer before the claim was thrown in. But, be honest, at those prices, how many thousands of $$ did that issue make you. You did well right? - At $60 a book with a $5 cover price, one return isn't going to kill your bottom line really mate is it. :foryou:

Well... I have to admit ... I’ve “eeked” out a tiny :bigsmile: profit over the Years ....

Edited by showcase4

15 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Why is greggy keeping messing up with us?

Like this a confused face...

32880285_ScreenShot2019-11-17at3_54_02AM.png.4b04df47dc96bad013b89b27597ef548.png

Because Greggy is always confused.

He just sent me a pm asking how it is......if you're deaf.......that you can hear what we type in the forum. :facepalm:

Edited by Domo Arigato

Maybe instead of giving it 9.8, you could give it a 9.7

Feebay Comicbook Grading Scale:

The following comics grading scale is commonly used to rate the condition of comics. It includes the name of the condition, the symbol for the condition, and a numerical value.

• Mint (MT) Comics, 9.9 to 10.0: The best example of comic book condition ever seen. Perfect, or as near to perfect as possible.

• Near Mint/Mint (NM/M) Comics, 9.8: Almost perfect. Only minor imperfections. Comic book is flat and shows no wear.

• Near Mint (NM) Comics, 9.2 to 9.7: Nearly perfect with only minor binding errors allowed. Ink is bright and reflective, no cover wear.

• Very Fine/Near Mint (VF/NM) Comics, 9.0: Outstanding condition. Slight cover bend apparent and wear is almost imperceptible.

• Very Fine (VF) Comics, 7.5 to 8.5: Excellent condition. Relatively flat cover with minor corner wear. Paper is supple, not brittle.

• Fine/Very Fine (FN/VF) Comics, 7.0: Above-average condition. Minor cover wear shows. Corners may be blunted.

• Fine (FN) Comics, 5.5 to 6.5: Above average. Cover shows wear, but is clean with no creasing. Blunted corners common. Minor or moderate spine roll.

• Very Good/Fine (VG/FN) Comics, 5.0: Above average, but obviously used. Minor cover wear with minor or moderate creases. Minor staple tear and minor rust acceptable.

• Good/Very Good (GD/VG) Comics, 3.0: Used with substantial wear. Cover loose, or detached at one staple. Discolouration or fading apparent.    

• Good (GD) Comics, 1.8 to 2.5: Substantial wear, obviously read. Dull cover. Moderate soiling and staining.

• Fair/Good (FR/GD) Comics, 1.5: Substantial and heavy wear. Cover lacks luster. Soiled, scuffed, and possibly unattractive. 

• Fair (FR), 1.0 Comics: Heavy wear. Lowest collectable grade. Spine split and roll common. Missing, rusted, or discoloured staples. 

• Poor (PR) Comics, 0.5: Little or no collector value. Missing large chunks. Corners significantly round or missing altogether.

Edited by jcjames