• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WARNING: eBay Sellers - The Buyer is ALWAYS right ( if eBay decides! )
2 2

156 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Why is there even an option that says you as a seller do not take returns? They are allowing you to tell buyers that you buy it, you keep it. Yet they can make you take a return. That alone is worth a call to ebay.

@Buzzetta has explained this-if you say no returns then you have the possibility of successfully arguing against a return, which he has done many times.

This effects you buyers, too —- quite a few here, have  bought from Me.:hi: 
I was just going to give you all a taste of these — fresh from a sealed case - ‘93 / raw and all 9.6/ most 9.8.  Now I Can’t risk it — will have to grade them all, and will send to C-Link.

See the trickle down effect of this new “policy” I’m just one guy- what’s going to happen to the raw comics market on eBay, once MANY get burned like I did? 

535D51B8-36E6-4AAB-86CC-D012CBEC4DE1.jpeg

D9D4D8E2-373B-4C67-AA33-6604657F8866.jpeg

Edited by showcase4

When I had a PayPal account, I never left money in it. No way for them to take what isn't there. If you have your bank linked (as I am sure most do), just tell the bank that PayPal isn't allowed to take money from it, they can only deposit. If you want to buy something, just transfer the money to PayPal first.

I don't trust them at all, but they are the largest game around, pretty much the only one, really. Like not using YouTube if you are a video content creator, you are going to miss out by not using PayPal, you just have to work within their rules.

As of now, my best friend signed up for PP and let me have access to it so it's hooked up to my eBay, just trying to sell a Blanton's Bourbon bottle stopper (letter "O") to see if I can get paid with it. If so, I am back in business selling comics. I will just have to tell Justen to set up a PayPal block so they can't take money out of his bank.

:wishluck:

-slym

Edited by slym2none

To the OP: Yeah, it sucks. This may not be what you want to hear, but I wonder if selling variants like these is particularly high-risk... buyers could be paying top dollar from you one week, confident that if they can find the same variant cheaper the following week and/or the price drops in general, they can send it back to you and ebay/Paypal will back them up.

(You can always try selling them here in the forum marketplace if you are not already?... I don’t know this market but seems worth a shot.)

I greatly empathize with the OP as I also have had some ridiculously unfair experiences with eBay and PayPal as a seller.  However, I’ve also gotten some tough experiences as a buyer and have come to the conclusion that this is just the way it goes buying and selling comics today.  I’ve been buying and selling books for over 30 years and remember when if you wanted to sell, the only option you had outside of friends and fellow collectors (a very small pool of buyers), was to sell to the local comic shop.  At best, the shop would pay 50% of saleable value for hot books and  10-20 cents on the dollar for everything else.  As I ran a shop at one time, I understood having to buy at a discount to make money but it still hurt as a collector getting a fraction of the value for your comics.

By comparison, today, with all the BS that happens and the absurd percentage cuts taken by both eBay and PayPal, things are better than they were.  Not awesome, but better.  2c

6 hours ago, showcase4 said:

This effects you buyers, too —- quite a few here, have  bought from Me.:hi: 
I was just going to give you all a taste of these — fresh from a sealed case - ‘93 / raw and all 9.6/ most 9.8.  Now I Can’t risk it — will have to grade them all, and will send to C-Link.

See the trickle down effect of this new “policy” I’m just one guy- what’s going to happen to the raw comics market on eBay, once MANY get burned like I did? 

535D51B8-36E6-4AAB-86CC-D012CBEC4DE1.jpeg

D9D4D8E2-373B-4C67-AA33-6604657F8866.jpeg

Have you already been forced to adopt the ‘bay’s Managed Payments system?

Just curious as to whether Managed Payments is exacerbating this problem. 

I think once I’m forced to accept Managed Payments it may be the last straw for me. 

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Have you already been forced to adopt the ‘bay’s Managed Payments system?

Just curious as to whether Managed Payments is exacerbating this problem. 

I think once I’m forced to accept Managed Payments it may be the last straw for me. 

Managed payments system?  Que es?

1) Stop using numerical grades. NM is subjective and gives wriggle room - 9.4 does not.

2) Use the damn phone.

3) Use the damn phone again

4) Keep using the damn phone until they get sick of you

5) Every time you phone, go above the head of the last person you rang.

'No returns' doesn't matter - if item is not as described or damaged, you have to take the hit. - So use the damn phone, and get paypal/ebay to contact buyer and request pics of their gripe with your book.

If you are going to sell stuff as definately 9.8 - the slightest cbc will give them an out - so don't  - NM/NM+ gives you some wriggle room to argue.

No good griping on here - get on the phone to ebay and paypal, argue your side and make them step in for YOU - demand pics from buyer, packaging pics etc. It's amazing how many people suddenly want to be more amienable when they have to prove their case.

It suxs - I really do get it,but sometimes the buyer is right as well.

All ebay/paypal want is their fees - and they will take the easy road every time. Make it hard for them - I'm still battling a 4 month old dispute. I got to keep my money, now I'm still arguing to get the unreasonable neutral removed - and will keep requesting a call-back every few days until it's gone.

Yeah - what the hell is 'ebays managed payments system'??

Here's a hint - opt out of everything but the basics (inc global seller hub) - makes life easier.

Oh yeah - RING THEM UP. Give 'em hell.

Then ting them again, and again, and again. As long as you are in the right.

14 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I wish eBay would send out a customer satisfaction survey.  It would be like Festivus for us.

C1597A64-9CA7-4868-A0A9-AB504D58F604.jpeg

They do.

8 hours ago, showcase4 said:

I wouldn’t believe it if you guys told me - just happened again! Twice in 1 day! Sale from 2 weeks ago ( pics ) - buyer said my 9.8 was accurate, but he found a hairline pink printing defect on one of the 2 covers - they just froze that money, too! Over $400 today !

0C550490-BFB0-48A8-AFD0-FE2E2B734317.png

A3631103-AD68-405C-AD17-7DDB032D334F.png

293BD47D-A49F-45C3-AC7E-106C377F4C69.png

Did you ring them?

Did you get them to pull up the ebay message that said - 'yes these books are 9.8' from the buyer?

Did you ask ebay/paypal to contact the buyer and send in pics of this hairline "printing defect"?

If you didn't, why would you expect a clone to do it for you?  These guys kill for these ebay jobs - the wages are way above average, they aren't going to rock the boat unless you force them.

They have targets to meet, and ticking off the buyers complaint asap meets one such target.

Cause them to possibly miss that target and they will pay much more attention to your cause.

You are dealing with 38 stories of cloned Phillipino -script-readers who want nothing more than to just make every complaint go away asap - so they keep their job.

Currently, you are making it as easy as possible for them to do just that.

Make it hard.

10 hours ago, Raze said:

Also if you call leave out the “redacted“ Comments maybe? You can explain what you “think” might have happened but lets just sick to the facts.

Hope this helps.

D1686A94-FF05-460A-8912-8ED6045DC5BD.jpeg

And this - well, it just doesn't address the complaint at all. He/she could not care less how many feedbacks you have, or how long you have been on ebay, or how well you grade.

They want you to explain why the buyer is wrong. You haven't in any way,shape or form. I'd side with the buyer as well, based on this.

I still have no idea what his complaint was - and neither will the ebay rep, unless they go look through all your ebay messages, which they won't.

I appreciate you are angry - but use the damn phone!!

Don't grade books as 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 because the buyer will hold you to it.  

Take good pictures/scans

Put in the description any visible defects  "spine stress"  "surface wear"  "fingerprint"   If you advertise 9.8, you are just going to sell to a flipper who thinks it won't slab out a CGC 9.8 and will want his $$ back since he can't make anything off of it. 

Don't give out grades. You are just screwing yourself if you do.  

49 minutes ago, Beige said:

1) Stop using numerical grades. NM is subjective and gives wriggle room - 9.4 does not.

2) Use the damn phone.

3) Use the damn phone again

4) Keep using the damn phone until they get sick of you

5) Every time you phone, go above the head of the last person you rang.

'No returns' doesn't matter - if item is not as described or damaged, you have to take the hit. - So use the damn phone, and get paypal/ebay to contact buyer and request pics of their gripe with your book.

If you are going to sell stuff as definately 9.8 - the slightest cbc will give them an out - so don't  - NM/NM+ gives you some wriggle room to argue.

No good griping on here - get on the phone to ebay and paypal, argue your side and make them step in for YOU - demand pics from buyer, packaging pics etc. It's amazing how many people suddenly want to be more amienable when they have to prove their case.

It suxs - I really do get it,but sometimes the buyer is right as well.

All ebay/paypal want is their fees - and they will take the easy road every time. Make it hard for them - I'm still battling a 4 month old dispute. I got to keep my money, now I'm still arguing to get the unreasonable neutral removed - and will keep requesting a call-back every few days until it's gone.

Yeah - what the hell is 'ebays managed payments system'??

Here's a hint - opt out of everything but the basics (inc global seller hub) - makes life easier.

Oh yeah - RING THEM UP. Give 'em hell.

Then ting them again, and again, and again. As long as you are in the right.

Most of the above is pretty spot on. 

Let me repeat a few. Stop grading any book 9.8. Nobody and I mean almost nobody can grade a raw book accurately every time
as a 9.8. You set yourself up to fail when you do that. People looking at books 9.8 are a whole different level of buyers. 

When you call them be persistent. Not rude, not pushy persistent.

Don't leave much money in your paypal account. Link it to a secondary bank account that is a standalone account
and don't leave much money in it. I am not sure about the block they are talking about because paypal actually deposits
money in the account takes it back out so it would have to be after you set up the account.

Don't abuse Friends of Family this will get your account suspended.(not saying you just a heads up.)
100s of FB sellers have found this out the hard way.

14 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Don't grade books as 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 because the buyer will hold you to it.  

Take good pictures/scans

Put in the description any visible defects  "spine stress"  "surface wear"  "fingerprint"   If you advertise 9.8, you are just going to sell to a flipper who thinks it won't slab out a CGC 9.8 and will want his $$ back since he can't make anything off of it. 

Don't give out grades. You are just screwing yourself if you do.  

Disagree

Learn to grade and you can give grades out. The buyer has every right to hold you to your grade.
Thinking its all on the buyer to decide is not a wise decision and not winnable either.

Taking pictures and scans is great, but a grade will get you the buyers repeat business.

When you are dealing with high grade and slabs buyers look at everything and honestly you are never
going to be 100% because some of those buyers have OCD so bad they see things that aren't even there
sometimes. 

Well, not ALWAYS right.

Couple months ago I had a low FB buyer purchase a slab from me, I sent it, they got it and then they left me positive feedback.

Then, a month or so later, I get an email from PayPal that the buyer wanted a refund (buyer never contacted me ever). PayPal said they investigated and sided with me. No refund.

THEN a few weeks ago I get another email from PayPal saying the buyer's Credit Card refunded the buyer their money, but PayPal would not debit my account for the money.

All this happened and I never heard nothing from no one.

So the buyer got the book, AND got their money back (but not from me).

Okay, that was PayPal siding with the seller not Feebay, but I wonder if the buyer even tried first through Feebay and got nowhere.

Edited by jcjames

Not sure if this is common knowledge or has been posted here on the boards already, but I recently had a sale returned to me on ebay and was shocked to find out that Paypal no longer refunds the 3% fees on transactions as of October 11th. I had to call Paypal to fight and get back the fees. Supposedly they sent every user an email detailing this, but after a quick review of my received mail, I had noticed I did not receive any correspondence from them in regards to the new policy. So let this be a warning for those making sales through Paypal, that as of last month Paypal will no longer refund you your transaction fees if a buyer returns an item to you.

6 hours ago, jcjames said:

Well, not ALWAYS right.

Couple months ago I had a low FB buyer purchase a slab from me, I sent it, they got it and then they left me positive feedback.

Then, a month or so later, I get an email from PayPal that the buyer wanted a refund (buyer never contacted me ever). PayPal said they investigated and sided with me. No refund.

THEN a few weeks ago I get another email from PayPal saying the buyer's Credit Card refunded the buyer their money, but PayPal would not debit my account for the money.

All this happened and I never heard nothing from no one.

So the buyer got the book, AND got their money back (but not from me).

Okay, that was PayPal siding with the seller not Feebay, but I wonder if the buyer even tried first through Feebay and got nowhere.

Did they tell you why the buyer wanted a refund? No contact for over a month along with positive fb seems to indicate that the slab was undamaged.

I have came to the same conclusion as a buyer. I no longer buy moderns on ebay as almost every purchase listed as nm+ is not. I believe many sellers are people who get a bunch of copies to sort through to find the 9.8s then dump the rest on ebay as nm+. 

I got sick of getting books with obvious damage. The whole site is super shady for moderns. I never returned any as I always felt this was the risk I took.

My LCS almost never has nm+ (assume its the way they handle books). I’ve started using a few online retailers with some mixed results (which so far I've found to be my best option)

Trust me when I say that ebay is a placed to get screwed as a buyer more than a seller. I assume most people are like me and take a lick without raising a stink, especially when the listing is cleverly worded to put the responsibility on the buyer or the pictures are carefully taken to hide flaws or make it difficult to see damage.