• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WARNING: eBay Sellers - The Buyer is ALWAYS right ( if eBay decides! )
2 2

156 posts in this topic

Just now, kav said:

Even CGC-professional graders-people disagree with their grades constantly.  Giving a 'range' is also no solution.  You could say 'this book is a 6.0-7.0 and some numbskull will say NO WAY!  That's a 4.5 at best!  If someone wont buy if you wont give a grade that's not the kind of customer I am looking for anyway.

:facepalm::facepalm:

16 minutes ago, kav said:

Giving grades just opens the door to headaches.  Even CGC-professional graders-people disagree with their grades constantly.  Giving a 'range' is also no solution.  You could say 'this book is a 6.0-7.0 and some numbskull will say NO WAY!  That's a 4.5 at best!  If someone wont buy if you wont give a grade that's not the kind of customer I am looking for anyway.

As long as your asking price meets your inexperience as a grader. 

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

As long as your asking price meets your inexperience as a grader. 

see above

23 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
On 11/3/2019 at 4:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why would someone disagree with your grade if it’s spot on?

I personally don’t assign  grades above NM+ 9.6

there are fools on ebay thats why.

assigning grades just leaves you wide open to fool attack. "THATS NOT A 9.6!"

Same argument can be made for the seller's whose TOS looks like a Pre-nupital agreement of a 
very rich person. 

Just now, kav said:

It doesnt matter how good you can grade if you get a buyer who cant grade.

And do you think those buyers last long on ebay. They get weeded out and banned rather quickly especially
if they try it on large $ books word gets around pretty fast. 

Obviously your experiences on ebay are vastly different then mine. 

And do you think those buyers last long on ebay. They get weeded out and banned rather quickly especially

What evidence do you have that unsatisfied buyers that initiate returns get "weeded out and banned rather quickly"?

12 minutes ago, kav said:
14 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What evidence do you have that unsatisfied buyers that initiate returns get "weeded out and banned rather quickly"?

Well you said two different things. Unsatisfied buyers and bad graders aren't necessarily the same thing.

Lets assume you meant the same just for argument sake.

We have a thread here that has 100s of bad buyers on it.That get added
Weekly.

You can restrict buyers based of strikes they receive on your ebay account.

Paypal monitors accounts for this just like they do for Sellers who try to 
use F&F to avoid taxes. You initiate enough returns you will get flagged.
FB sellers get both of these issues all the time and cant figure out why
their account gets locked. Instragram users are not getting hit for it as well.

A professional is more difficult to catch because they will just create more 
accounts you never get them all sadly.

Edited by fastballspecial

The blocked user list is chock full of miscreant buyers that do far worse than initiate a return and they rarely if ever get 'weeded out and banned'.  I dispute your analysis.

Well obviously I didn't expect you to agree. I would have been shocked otherwise lol.

Hey I have many many times admitted I was wrong.  It's not something I am adverse to, as you seem to be suggesting.

8 minutes ago, kav said:
10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Well obviously I didn't expect you to agree. I would have been shocked otherwise lol.

Hey I have many many times admitted I was wrong.  It's not something I am adverse to, as you seem to be suggesting.

Fair enough I just didn't think we would agree on this matter.

For me I seldom have problems and when I do try to address as professionally as possible even when the fault is 
mine see back a few pages. I try avoid selling books that I know have a higher % of problems or doing auctions
that I know have a large portions of the problems on ebay. I would suggest that how you handle the buyers complaint
also is a big determiner if they file or not. In some cases it wont matter because they just file, but I have won several of those as well for all types of reasons. 

By not grading a book as a buyer it looks to me like its sketchy. The seller either puts "not a professional grader" or 
they ask for a NM price by saying nice copy. If you are going to all the trouble of taking pictures and describing defects
why the aversion to just putting a grade. If anything try range like 9.2 to 9.0 it gives you some room for error and lets the
buyer get a good idea where the book will fall. 

When selling slabs it is what it is. What sucks about that is what Junkdrawer pointed out with the cost of returns. 
Sadly its just the cost of doing business and ebay sometimes. The best aspect at least is the margins on comics are 
huge if you are buying right. You can afford to take a hit occasionally as the cost of doing business. I hate it as much as
anyone else does.

Edited by fastballspecial

Fair enough I just didn't think we would agree on this matter.

For me I seldom have problems and when I do try to address as professionally as possible even when the fault is 
mine see back a few pages. I try avoid selling books that I know have a higher % of problems or doing auctions
that I know have a large portions of the problems on ebay

By not grading a book as a buyer it looks to me like its sketchy. The seller either puts "not a professional grader" or 
they ask for a NM price by saying nice copy. If you are going to all the trouble of taking pictures and describing defects
why the aversion to just putting a grade. If anything try range like 9.2 to 9.0 it gives you some room for error and lets the
buyer get a good idea where the book will fall. 

When selling slabs it is what it is. What sucks about that is what Junkdrawer pointed out with the cost of returns. 
Sadly its just the cost of doing business and ebay sometimes. The best aspect at least is the margins on comics are 
huge if you are buying right. You can afford to take a hit occasionally as the cost of doing business. I hate it as much as
anyone else does.

This I agree with.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Even CGC-professional graders-people disagree with their grades constantly.  Giving a 'range' is also no solution.  You could say 'this book is a 6.0-7.0 and some numbskull will say NO WAY!  That's a 4.5 at best!  If someone wont buy if you wont give a grade that's not the kind of customer I am looking for anyway.

It seems as though your standard operating policy is tailored for the uncommon nut job, not the average customer who expects a dealer to provide some sort of grade assessment. 

If I accurately describe a book VF/VF+ and provide good photos, I’m not going to worry about the outlier who may think it’s a VG. 

If your system works for you fine. But you are certainly turning potential buyers off with that approach. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

It seems as though your standard operating policy is tailored for the uncommon nut job, not the average customer who expects a dealer to provide some sort of grade assessment. 

If I accurately describe a book VF/VF+ and provide good photos, I’m not going to worry about the outlier who may think it’s a VG. 

If your system works for you fine. But you are certainly turning potential buyers off with that approach. 

when I gave grades I turned many buyers off and had plenty of headaches.

Keep in mind many people and LCS suffer from grade expansion/contraction syndrome-when they are buying a book the grade contracts in their eyes, when selling, it expands.  Many LCS buy a 5.0 that immediately becomes an 8.0 once the transaction is concluded and it goes up on the wall.