• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me out.....stamps on back covers?

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a collection of about 20 Amazing Spiderman issues ranging from VG - VF based on the photos.  Before he even sent me the photos, the seller disclosed that several have been stamped on the back cover, typically a single letter and number.  I've attached a couple of examples below.  Admittedly, I've never seen this before. 

Anyone else have any idea what this is?  It certainly occurred to me that it could have been done at the newsstand back in the day, but given that it's not the typical date stamp (or at least not any that I've ever come across), I'm trying to figure out how much it would/should affect the overall grade.  For the lower grade books, I expect the impact would be negligible.....the question is really for those that look cleaner and would otherwise be in the F/VF range, does this really have any impact?

Any insights would be appreciated.

72414386_411397103135633_5855035589845319680_n.jpg

73291628_561730971268574_1057665155820683264_n (1).jpg

73528593_1423634734467872_6590764694535929856_n.jpg

Those stamps could represent any number of things.  Every newsstand had it's own methods of tracking sales.  One example is they would write or stamp each book with the number of copies that they had ordered.  At the end of the month, if there were copies left, they could count those and compare to the number ordered.  At which point they could adjust the next order accordingly.  Each vendor had their own system and they varied greatly.  Date stamps were often applied so that a vendor could tell how long something had been out.  Today, these are usually discounted as historical markings and for many, don't have an impact on grade.  To others, they like the markings if they're distinctive enough to identify a pedigree collection but otherwise, no.  And still others want no markings at all.  It's really personal preference at this point.  2c

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Those stamps could represent any number of things.  Every newsstand had it's own methods of tracking sales.  One example is they would write or stamp each book with the number of copies that they had ordered.  At the end of the month, if there were copies left, they could count those and compare to the number ordered.  At which point they could adjust the next order accordingly.  Each vendor had their own system and they varied greatly.  Date stamps were often applied so that a vendor could tell how long something had been out.  Today, these are usually discounted as historical markings and for many, don't have an impact on grade.  To others, they like the markings if they're distinctive enough to identify a pedigree collection but otherwise, no.  And still others want no markings at all.  It's really personal preference at this point.  2c

Personally, these stamps don't bother me at all. The only ones I find a little intrusive are the ones that obliterate some of the artwork on the front cover, and even those I can live with. A nice find---if the price is right, I wouldn't let those date stamps get in the way...