• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nothing about Rhode Island Comic Con?

4 posts in this topic

I worked this show last year one day with Ted at Superworld-- so I didn't get to see much of it, but it seemed like it was just another one of these celebrity heavy comic book light conventions.   In another con thread here someone remarks "everyone is set up at Rhode Island Con" -- if so, why no mention of it here?   Is it a show worth going to?   I'm about 45 minutes out from it.  Have ZERO interest in celebs, but always looking for rare and obscure comics.

Edited by AndyFish

I went on Sunday and it was a good time.  You are right about the event being a celebrity heavy convention. 

However, I was able to meet Neal Adams & Michael Zeck & had some comics signed (btw - talking with Mike Zeck was awesome - great guy).  I felt like the celebrities/artists were more accessible & engaging than previous conventions I attended (ie Boston).

Boston started as a "comics only show" and then progressed to the mess it is now.

I went to Rhode Island Comic Con on Saturday night-- it was a pretty interesting show-- a lot of non comics stuff but unlike some of the stuff at Wizard World Chicago which had a lot of stuff that had no connection to comics at all- this one had stuff that at least a comics fan might be interested in, like old posters, toys, etc.  I picked up a vintage Mint condition Sean Connery James Bond doll from Gilbert Toys made in 1964-- this one came complete with his Walther PPK, attache and spy watch-- really a neat item.   I also managed to get some bronze age Batman's cheap thanks to #2 son who was working the show.

Patrick Warburton had a big line, the girl who was the "first victim of Jaws" did not-- I don't care about celebrities so it didn't matter to me.   Overall a fun show.   I managed to find a meter on the street for $4 so parking was cheap.

I worked the show as a witness for CGC, it was an unusual show , as a lot of comic dealers were around the rotunda at the Dunkin Donuts center, and lighting was horrible. I did like the celebrities there, they were fun and approachable, i mostly took pics at the table as i had no time for photo ops. The vendors in the main room were a mish mosh of all kinds of things, i wished they had all the comic dealers at least in one area. I only purchased 3 books, two from a buddy artist Bill McKay, and one from Jaime Tyndall. Siderbar, one guy wanted $2k for an ungraded WWBN # 32, raw, gave a funny look and walked away, i figured if it was a great book, why didn't he get it graded.