• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relative Newbie Question

55 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ESeffinga said:

Well that advice is a straight up horse turd. Sure, come take a dig at some art I’m selling and then see how fast I sell it to you... 

spoiler alert: It’s never.  Anything. Ever.

It was a joke. Would never do that. 

wdqwq.gif.1f4c11b9828bdd9c67f2edd67c02440a.gif

Let me add: If you put up a “taking offers” tag for your piece, that’s a neon sign saying: “I have no good idea what the FMV of this art is, and I am just fishing fishing for an offer that’s so high I can’t turn it down. What amount that is, I’ll know it when I see it.” 

If you truly want to sell a piece, put a price tag on it. If not, don’t play games. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I could tell you were kidding right off, but you'd be surprised by how many of these mini-wannabe-super-villain-art-collectors try this maneuver.

About 15 years ago, I had one guy tell me once that a page I had from an iconic 80's series, wasn't very good, poorly inked, maybe not even published, but that he'd still (begrudgingly) to take it off my hands......for about 10% of its real value. 

It happens and it can be really damaging to a person's reputation in this "Smaller Circle Than One Would Think"-hobby . I never forgot it and I've never failed to repeat that story to everyone I knew well in the hobby. I mean word of people's poor behavior and tactics can really spread like a computer virus. 

I wonder about people sometimes. I have a buddy  solicited for a cover about 10 years ago on his CAF listed not for sale.

The interested party “cleverly” delivered an email solicitation, rife with all the reasons why the cover wasn’t that great. He kindly made a mercy offer In order to check a box on his list until he could upgrade “big time.”

My buddy actually responded politely saying, “ I couldn’t in good conscience sell something to you that you clearly disapprove of. I will keep it but thanks for the offer.”

What balls. The injured solicitor wrote back “your loss, you’ll never get close to an offer like the one I made you.”

again as a refresher this was an NFS item.

In response to PhilipB2k:

The name on my gallery is Justin Manis. Add me to your do not buy list. 

The first couple of years on CAF I spent way too much time going back and forth with people. I also had a lot of time wasted with people who agreed to a deal only to ghost. I even had a guy try to trade my art to another guy without even owning it and wouldn't stop pestering me with lowballs to acquire it. I'm not playing games and I'm not rude to people.  If I was more motivated to sell I wouldn't operate this way. I would just price everything and that would be that. I buy and sell comics for a living. I've been doing that for 25 years. I'm a motivated seller, and I operate that completely different. I'm more of a collector when it comes to art, so I generally only sell things when I get something that makes the original redundant to me, or if I just get no joy from owning it anymore. 

A handful of times each year, when I go back through my offers on something I have deemed expendable, the guys I contact that made offers are usually overjoyed that I've decided to sell. I'm not playing games, and I know the market pretty well. I've dealt with a lot of guys who aren't all that motivated to sell the pieces that they personally love. Sometimes it takes years to get something I really want. It does happen sometimes though. 

Edited by Real Elijah Snow

29 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

In response to PhilipB2k:

The first couple of years on CAF I spent way too much time going back and forth with people. I also had a lot of time wasted with people who agreed to a deal only to ghost. I even had a guy try to trade my art to another guy without even owning it and wouldn't stop pestering me with lowballs to acquire it. I'm not playing games and I'm not rude to people.  If I was more motivated to sell I wouldn't operate this way. I would just price everything and that would be that. I buy and sell comics for a living. I've been doing that for 25 years. I'm a motivated seller, and I operate that completely different. I'm more of a collector when it comes to art, so I generally only sell things when I get something that makes the original redundant to me, or if I just get no joy from owning it anymore. 

A handful of times each year, when I go back through my offers on something I have deemed expendable, the guys I contact that made offers are usually overjoyed that I've decided to sell. I'm not playing games, and I know the market pretty well. I've dealt with a lot of guys who aren't all that motivated to sell the pieces that they personally love. Sometimes it takes years to get something I really want. It does happen sometimes though. 

All I ask is that those who don’t want to sell, don’t put up a “taking offers” tag, and then get upset when people don’t read their minds. You can tell the difference between a hack lowball and a person just making an opening bid on a legit negotiation. if I make an offer, I plan on following through with it. Which is why I don’t shoot the moon right out of the gate. Yes, I may pay more than my initial offer. But I’d like to reach a deal that is mutually acceptable. If you agree to sell for a price that I am willing to pay, then we should both be fine with the transaction. 

And if you know the market, there’s really no excuse for putting up a “taking offers” tag on apiece when you could put a price tag on it. 

I’d rather someone just put a 3X price on a page over FMV than do the old “make an offer” routine. Same difference. But at least I won’t waste my time. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

33 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I wouldn't sweat it, biggest talkers/whiners tend to have the smallest wallets.

I'd be surprised if you have anything worth being unmotivated to sell that the person you're referring to could afford anyway.

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

All I ask is that those who don’t want to sell, don’t put up a “taking offers” tag, and then get upset when people don’t read their minds. You can tell the difference between a hack lowball and a person just making an opening bid on a legit negotiation. if I make an offer, I plan on following through with it. Which is why I don’t shoot the moon right out of the gate. Yes, I may pay more than my initial offer. But I’d like to reach a deal that is mutually acceptable. If you agree to sell for a price that I am willing to pay, then we should both be fine with the transaction. 

I put up the taking offers tag for the reasons stated above. I don't get upset over it when someone doesn't make an offer or offers something that I think is way lower than I value it at. I just don't bother negotiating. If someone offers me $200 for something I paid $2000 for a few months ago, I just don't respond. If someone offers me $2500 on something I bought a few months ago, I make a mental note of it, and let them know I'll contact if I want to sell at their offered price.  If I decide I want to sell it I contact them. Negotiating on art can be a giant waste of time in my experience. If it was as simple as a few messages over an hour it might be different, but it's not been that in my experience. If everyone honored their word on the internet I'd have sold way more through CAF. As it stands, the way that I have been doing it is the only way to weed out the time wasters. Since I'm not trying to sell most of it anyway, this is the way I will continue to operate. 

1 minute ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I put up the taking offers tag for the reasons stated above. I don't get upset over it when someone doesn't make an offer or offers something that I think is way lower than I value it at. I just don't bother negotiating. If someone offers me $200 for something I paid $2000 for a few months ago, I just don't respond. If someone offers me $2500 on something I bought a few months ago, I make a mental note of it, and let them know I'll contact if I want to sell at their offered price.  If I decide I want to sell it I contact them. Negotiating on art can be a giant waste of time in my experience. If it was as simple as a few messages over an hour it might be different, but it's not been that in my experience. If everyone honored their word on the internet I'd have sold way more through CAF. As it stands, the way that I have been doing it is the only way to weed out the time wasters. Since I'm not trying to sell most of it anyway, this is the way I will continue to operate. 

It seems like selling through CAF is not the best method for doing this anyway. 

14 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

“Unmotivated sellers” don’t advertise that they are taking offers. 

I've literally explained my reasoning on "taking offers"  twice now. 

When I do become motivated to sell something with the "offers" tag that's when the offers come into play. Then I'm ready to sell. Not now. In the future. 

Edited by Real Elijah Snow

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

It seems like selling through CAF is not the best method for doing this anyway. 

It is. That's why I'm content with how much I sell. 

It's probably not the best method for buying art. It takes a lot of patience, but occasionally it works out. 

My only real point here is that my reasoning for having "offers" on pieces is different than what you are assuming has to be the only reason. 

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I wonder about people sometimes. I have a buddy  solicited for a cover about 10 years ago on his CAF listed not for sale.

The interested party “cleverly” delivered an email solicitation, rife with all the reasons why the cover wasn’t that great. He kindly made a mercy offer In order to check a box on his list until he could upgrade “big time.”

My buddy actually responded politely saying, “ I couldn’t in good conscience sell something to you that you clearly disapprove of. I will keep it but thanks for the offer.”

What balls. The injured solicitor wrote back “your loss, you’ll never get close to an offer like the one I made you.”

again as a refresher this was an NFS item.

If you're really "lucky", you'll get one of the guys who sends a power-point style presentation along with his low-ball/mercy offer complete with arrows and visual aid commentary on all the specific flaws your piece has.....sounds like a joke....happened to me. 

34 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

“Unmotivated sellers” don’t advertise that they are taking offers. 

:)

Says "you".

Countdown to anybody electing you to the office of Boss of Me...3...2...1...0.

Oh, no takers.

We're all making our own rules up as we go along, obviously if you don't like some people's practices and methods...don't do business with them.

But understand: they may not care.

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

:)

Says "you".

Countdown to anybody electing you to the office of Boss of Me...3...2...1...0.

Oh, no takers.

We're all making our own rules up as we go along, obviously if you don't like some people's practices and methods...don't do business with them.

But understand: they may not care.

lol Nailed it!

2 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I've literally explained my reasoning on "taking offers"  twice now. 

When I do become motivated to sell something with the "offers" tag that's when the offers come into play. Then I'm ready to sell. Not now. In the future. 

Wait, can you explain it just once more? Not sure some of us get it..doh!

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

If you're really "lucky", you'll get one of the guys who sends a power-point style presentation along with his low-ball/mercy offer complete with arrows and visual aid commentary on all the specific flaws your piece has.....sounds like a joke....happened to me. 

image.png.47180c71f0be70278bb3c29338ff82da.png

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

May have discovered the low baller insurance protection offer template......To the far right of chart appears maximum low ball.

Image result for chart graphics to low ball a customer