• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE: Test results posted, lignin removal
6 6

84 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, Jaylam said:

Well, let's hope that a year from now something like this doesn't suddenly happen to a book so treated.....

1885222902_turningtoashes.gif.f29b4b2ad642beda54988f1d020b2584.gif

Lol, that is exactly what is going to happen to all books (or any paper items rich in lignin) over time without improvements in conservation science.

10 years of comic book and other paper artifact test subjects are still part of the research.  Some raw and unprotected, some in various types of storage: Mylar, poly, slabbed, vacuum sealed.  So far none have exploded😄

On 8/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, 427Impaler said:

Lol, that is exactly what is going to happen to all books (or any paper items rich in lignin) over time without improvements in conservation science.

10 years of comic book and other paper artifact test subjects are still part of the research.  Some raw and unprotected, some in various types of storage: Mylar, poly, slabbed, vacuum sealed.  So far none have exploded😄

A decade after your whitening treatment, I wonder about the suppleness and flexibility of the paper, as well as how well it retains the whitening.  It's certainly a visually impressive and appealing effect.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, namisgr said:

A decade after your whitening treatment, I wonder about the suppleness and flexibility of the paper, as well as how well it retains the whitening.  It's certainly a visually impressive and appealing effect.

Legitimate questions and of course the main reason for the varied types of storage and testing.  The whitening is a nice benefit but the main focus is longevity of paper and stability.  

I’ve done my own personal testing on artificial aging, lignin content, etc.  Of course those results don’t hold much water in the public domain hence all the third party testing underway.  The oldest test piece shows the same suppleness and fold resistance as when it was first treated, as third party results come in I will be happy to show them here regardless of success or failure