List of Marvel Second Printings From 90-92?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

6 posts

I’ve decided that I’d like to collect these cool gold and silver variations.   Is there a list that has all the ones that were printed?  I appreciate any help.  Thanks 

19,611 posts

understandably, it'd be nice for someone to just post or direct you to a complete list, but I think you'd get most of them pretty quick by throwing 'marvel gold 2nd print' into an ebay search.

6 posts

Yeah, I’ve started, but sorting through eBay is not the most efficient of methods because you get a lot of stuff you aren’t looking for as well as I won’t know if something is missing if eBay doesn’t have one for sale.   

5,279 posts

There's a thread about these that's just barely on page 2 of this forum.

6 posts

Thanks.  I didn’t see it for some reason on my initial search.  I’m not sure it’s quite what I’m looking for since it seems to cover all 2nd printings and not just the gold covers.   I will look closer at it later when I’m at my computer to make sure I’m not missing something.

3,213 posts
On 11/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, valiantman said:

Some of these are puzzling. Daredevil 267 & 273? Captain America 384? (And other random unremarkable Marvel issues)

6,200 posts
20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Some of these are puzzling. Daredevil 267 & 273? Captain America 384? (And other random unremarkable Marvel issues)

That list seems to be ALL second printings, not just the metallic variants. I'm wondering if some of those "unremarkable" books were printed for comic multi-packs, or JC Penney reprints, etc?

3,213 posts
18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That list seems to be ALL second printings, not just the metallic variants. I'm wondering if some of those "unremarkable" books were printed for comic multi-packs, or JC Penney reprints, etc?

I looked up a few, and none of them appear to be books that have a significant appearance in them that might get packaged with an action figure. And if you're going to go back to print for multi-packs, why not pick more significant books?

5,279 posts
4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I looked up a few, and none of them appear to be books that have a significant appearance in them that might get packaged with an action figure. And if you're going to go back to print for multi-packs, why not pick more significant books?

The multi-packs weren't made for the hardcore collector market and, as reprints, would have been shunned at that time if they had. It didn't matter much what was in them, although it would be interesting to know who chose those issues and why.

3,213 posts
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The multi-packs weren't made for the hardcore collector market and, as reprints, would have been shunned at that time if they had. It didn't matter much what was in them, although it would be interesting to know who chose those issues and why.

Understood that the multi-packs weren't for collectors. I could totally understand if they were packaging up overstock to get rid of. Having insignificant issues included then would be understandable. But if you're choosing to reprint something to get out to non-collectors, you would think they would choose books that would entice readers to pick up other comics.

6,200 posts

I definitely don't know anything one way or the other, but my recollection of multi-packs in the 80's and 90's was that they could have pretty much anything in them, they usually weren't "significant" books. That was just my best guess about some of the second prints that i couldn't find any further info on (or examples of.) I will let the experts chime in.

5,279 posts
16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Understood that the multi-packs weren't for collectors. I could totally understand if they were packaging up overstock to get rid of. Having insignificant issues included then would be understandable. But if you're choosing to reprint something to get out to non-collectors, you would think they would choose books that would entice readers to pick up other comics.

Was the first comic you read a major key, or even a key at all? I know mine wasn't, so why did we keep reading?

3,213 posts
8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Was the first comic you read a major key, or even a key at all? I know mine wasn't, so why did we keep reading?

Major key or not, if you focused on books that are generally regarded as being higher quality, I think you'd be more likely to have more return readers.

56,345 posts
12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Major key or not, if you focused on books that are generally regarded as being higher quality, I think you'd be more likely to have more return readers.

Higher quality according to whom? These were books chosen by someone at the publisher, and in the early 90s, virtually no one working at publishers understood, or cared about, what collectors thought or would have considered "worth reprinting." I would imagine the recent issues were chosen because they were recent and Marvel had easy access to them.