• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Marvel Second Printings From 90-92?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

understandably, it'd be nice for someone to just post or direct you to a complete list, but I think you'd get most of them pretty quick by throwing 'marvel gold 2nd print' into an ebay search.

Thanks.  I didn’t see it for some reason on my initial search.  I’m not sure it’s quite what I’m looking for since it seems to cover all 2nd printings and not just the gold covers.   I will look closer at it later when I’m at my computer to make sure I’m not missing something.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, valiantman said:

Some of these are puzzling. Daredevil 267 & 273? Captain America 384? (And other random unremarkable Marvel issues)

20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Some of these are puzzling. Daredevil 267 & 273? Captain America 384? (And other random unremarkable Marvel issues)

That list seems to be ALL second printings, not just the metallic variants. I'm wondering if some of those "unremarkable" books were printed for comic multi-packs, or JC Penney reprints, etc?

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That list seems to be ALL second printings, not just the metallic variants. I'm wondering if some of those "unremarkable" books were printed for comic multi-packs, or JC Penney reprints, etc?

I looked up a few, and none of them appear to be books that have a significant appearance in them that might get packaged with an action figure. And if you're going to go back to print for multi-packs, why not pick more significant books?

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I looked up a few, and none of them appear to be books that have a significant appearance in them that might get packaged with an action figure. And if you're going to go back to print for multi-packs, why not pick more significant books?

The multi-packs weren't made for the hardcore collector market and, as reprints, would have been shunned at that time if they had. It didn't matter much what was in them, although it would be interesting to know who chose those issues and why.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The multi-packs weren't made for the hardcore collector market and, as reprints, would have been shunned at that time if they had. It didn't matter much what was in them, although it would be interesting to know who chose those issues and why.

Understood that the multi-packs weren't for collectors. I could totally understand if they were packaging up overstock to get rid of. Having insignificant issues included then would be understandable. But if you're choosing to reprint something to get out to non-collectors, you would think they would choose books that would entice readers to pick up other comics.

I definitely don't know anything one way or the other, but my recollection of multi-packs in the 80's and 90's was that they could have pretty much anything in them, they usually weren't "significant" books. That was just my best guess about some of the second prints that i couldn't find any further info on (or examples of.) I will let the experts chime in.

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Understood that the multi-packs weren't for collectors. I could totally understand if they were packaging up overstock to get rid of. Having insignificant issues included then would be understandable. But if you're choosing to reprint something to get out to non-collectors, you would think they would choose books that would entice readers to pick up other comics.

Was the first comic you read a major key, or even a key at all? I know mine wasn't, so why did we keep reading?

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Was the first comic you read a major key, or even a key at all? I know mine wasn't, so why did we keep reading?

Major key or not, if you focused on books that are generally regarded as being higher quality, I think you'd be more likely to have more return readers.

Higher quality according to whom? These were books chosen by someone at the publisher, and in the early 90s, virtually no one working at publishers understood, or cared about, what collectors thought or would have considered "worth reprinting." I would imagine the recent issues were chosen because they were recent and Marvel had easy access to them.

A lot of those 2nd prints are indeed from the 1992 and 1993 Marvel Vintage Packs available through Sears and JC Penney Catalogs.

I’m collecting all the 2nd and 3rd prints from that time (I’m about 5 away) but I don’t have just the color changes separated. 

Some have some subtle differences in the logo, UPC or price box but the indicia gives them away.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Higher quality according to whom? These were books chosen by someone at the publisher, and in the early 90s, virtually no one working at publishers understood, or cared about, what collectors thought or would have considered "worth reprinting." I would imagine the recent issues were chosen because they were recent and Marvel had easy access to them.

It seems unreasonable to think that no one working for Marvel and DC was keeping up with what collectors cared about, as there were a decent number of publications that were tracking values and collector interests. Not that they had to reprint based on that info. And certainly they knew what was selling more. While that isn't necessarily an indication of quality, it is an indication of what was more desired by customers. The various books that I called out didn't stand out either artistically or sales-wise during that time period. Your last point, that they were recent issues, seems to be the most likely. At that time, things weren't being handled digitally, so recent books may have been the only ones that had plates readily available. Still, you think they would have focused on the better selling books, if they were looking to draw in new readers.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It seems unreasonable to think that no one working for Marvel and DC was keeping up with what collectors cared about, as there were a decent number of publications that were tracking values and collector interests. Not that they had to reprint based on that info. And certainly they knew what was selling more. While that isn't necessarily an indication of quality, it is an indication of what was more desired by customers. The various books that I called out didn't stand out either artistically or sales-wise during that time period. Your last point, that they were recent issues, seems to be the most likely. At that time, things weren't being handled digitally, so recent books may have been the only ones that had plates readily available. Still, you think they would have focused on the better selling books, if they were looking to draw in new readers.

Speaking as a kid who received a few of those Penney's/Sears grab bags at xmas time, the assortment was seemingly TOTALLY random. The issues included weren't "hot" or "notable" in any way. I have no idea how they chose which issues to reprint, but they were about as random as possible.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Speaking as a kid who received a few of those Penney's/Sears grab bags at xmas time, the assortment was seemingly TOTALLY random. The issues included weren't "hot" or "notable" in any way. I have no idea how they chose which issues to reprint, but they were about as random as possible.

Image result for charlie kelly meme