• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So now PayPal keeps their fee, even if item is returned.

13 posts in this topic

I'm guessing you just accepted the refund because you consider yourself a 'good' seller? I personally would reject any buyer's remorse return requests. Especially with the latest fee stuff by eBay/PayPal.

I think there have been at least 2 other threads regarding this same topic.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, Gaard said:

Maybe it's time to start charging a 3% restocking fee.

But how can you charge a 3% restocking fee if a refund is being sent back to your account? It's not like you can edit the amount you're being refunded for nor will PP add 3% to it. Only way is to add 3% to your buy price in case a return would happen.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:50 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Lost $29 bucks today taking back a $980 “graded PSA8” baseball card. Buyer returned it and his excuse was changed his mind. 

FADB9B16-509D-4A51-A781-AD4E708237EA.jpeg

Was this card an auction listing or a Buy-It-Now?

Yeah, they announced it some while back.

I posted right here in CG about it - because they actually started doing it before Nov 1st in Australia despite setting that date.

They aren't doing themselves any favours currently - I think a lot of ebays future is tied to the fact that too many people have so much stock listed (not particularly comics) that moving to etsy or Amazon is just a ball-tearer.

I'd like to know the USA/Aus difference please  :foryou:

In the cold light of day over here I get 1500 listing in my store (wether I use them all or not) for $60 - thats 4c a month.

Or if you sell a heap of cheap drek like I do - 48c a year to keep an item in front of millions of people.

We do NOT get ebay bucks, but the occasional code (it's POTTER currently) - that gives between 3 - 10% discount on certain items.

We do not get mail pick-ups - it's all go to your PO yourself.

We can opt out of everything - especially the GSP, and 'staggered payments' - we also have the ability to 'request a call' from ebay - they usually respond in 90 secs at most.

Our search function is very poor - it's hard to separate foreign sellers who will/will not sell to Australia.  I have a registered USA address on ebay as well - but if sellers have marked 'no international sales' - then you cannot even send them a message to say you have a USA addy- which is wierd.

We also have without doubt, the worst 'cart' system in the history of online shopping. It really makes it hard for buyers to combine shipping/request invoice if they are new.

You have to commit to buy - not pay - go back, commit to the next - not pay, go back etc etc until you are done and then 'request invoice'.

To make it hard ebay pops a message up 'pay for it quickly before you lose the item' - so noobies end up paying postage on each item ir walking away.

Whats different in the USA?

On 11/4/2019 at 5:04 PM, Gaard said:

Maybe it's time to start charging a 3% restocking fee.

15 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

But how can you charge a 3% restocking fee if a refund is being sent back to your account? It's not like you can edit the amount you're being refunded for nor will PP add 3% to it. Only way is to add 3% to your buy price in case a return would happen.

This was brought up before in the other thread talking about this. eBay no longer allows restocking fees.

Restocking fees will no longer be a return option.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

Yup. Charging a "restocking fee" doesn't mean anything, because eBay will force a return of the entire amount, and Paypal will eat it.

Time to refuse Paypal as payment. Time to call eBay and Paypal and complain.

No, it isn't.

What I would suggest is going back two years,or 2500 transactions, whichever is the smaller number. Determine how much this policy cost you  and build that into your pricing model. If you lost $250 over 2500 transactions, you should raise your prices ten cents to cover it. Your returns, for any reason, should be a very small portion of your transactions.

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

No, it isn't.

What I would suggest is going back two years,or 2500 transactions, whichever is the smaller number. Determine how much this policy cost you  and build that into your pricing model. If you lost $250 over 2500 transactions, you should raise your prices ten cents to cover it. Your returns, for any reason, should be a very small portion of your transactions.

Luckily over the course of two years,  I have not had a single return. I take good and detailed pictures and clearly describe anything on my description if needed attention. 

If I were to do what you suggested (going back two years or 2500 transactions) to figure out any losses if any, it would take me a long time to check every single one of those transactions. High volume sales would be a headache I imagine.