• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8s on flawed books
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Hi all-

I purchased 3 recently graded CGC 9.8 modern books in the last 2 weeks, but when I received them, they show flaws which weren’t seen in eBay listings. 2 of these books were from the same seller. I have examined hundreds of modern CGC 9.8s before, and these flaws aren’t consistent with a 9.8 grade. Not sure what to do; spent over $500 total on the 3, and it’s frustrating to pay a lot for CGC 9.8s which really don’t look like they should be assigned the 9.8 grade.

Is this the best forum to post pics of the flaws on the 3 books?

Thanks-

4 minutes ago, Lookin4Newsstands said:

Hi all-

I purchased 3 recently graded CGC 9.8 modern books in the last 2 weeks, but when I received them, they show flaws which weren’t seen in eBay listings. 2 of these books were from the same seller. I have examined hundreds of modern CGC 9.8s before, and these flaws aren’t consistent with a 9.8 grade. Not sure what to do; spent over $500 total on the 3, and it’s frustrating to pay a lot for CGC 9.8s which really don’t look like they should be assigned the 9.8 grade.

Is this the best forum to post pics of the flaws on the 3 books?

Thanks-

As always; Grading is subjective.

I would suggest this sub-forum:

Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is that the only flaw? I would argue that, if the comic is perfectly centered and it is the only flaw, then that's a 9.8 to me.

If there's another obvious flaw, then could this be the result of SCS?

Thanks-

That is the only flaw on that one, pretty major crease for a 9.8-

from what I’ve seen, centering of a cover isn’t a flaw, and nothing is deducted from a grade due to that- have seen off-centered CGC 9.9s in the past.

Just now, Lookin4Newsstands said:

Thanks-

That is the only flaw on that one, pretty major crease for a 9.8-

from what I’ve seen, centering of a cover isn’t a flaw, and nothing is deducted from a grade due to that- have seen off-centered CGC 9.9s in the past.

Centering matters to Gem Mint. Off-center means no greater than 9.9/Mint.

A non-color-breaking crease on an otherwise seemingly-perfect comic is a valid 9.8 to me. The other 2 you've posted do not look like 9.8s to me.

Have you considered returning the 2 that seem over-graded, and keeping the other one? You could just return all 3 if you don't like any of them. Buy the books - not the labels.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Centering matters to Gem Mint. Off-center means no greater than 9.9/Mint.

A non-color-breaking crease on an otherwise seemingly-perfect comic is a valid 9.8 to me. The other 2 you've posted do not look like 9.8s to me.

Have you considered returning the 2 that seem over-graded, and keeping the other one? You could just return all 3 if you don't like any of them. Buy the books - not the labels.

Thanks-

what does SCS mean that you mentioned with the 1st book?

All 3 do look under 9.8 to me-

The 2 ASM books do say returns accepted in listing, but I’ve returned one before to another seller who then blocked me from buying anything else moving forward.

the other book (a recent Batman Rebirth issue) is not returnable.

Debating whether to return the ASMs since I haven’t been able to find newsstand copies of those in that grade. However, as you said, but the book not the label.

also, should I bring up these flawed books to CGC? Not sure how they were assigned a 9.8 grade in the first place, especially since 3 graders grade the books-

thanks

Just now, Lookin4Newsstands said:

Thanks-

what does SCS mean that you mentioned with the 1st book?

All 3 do look under 9.8 to me-

The 2 ASM books do say returns accepted in listing, but I’ve returned one before to another seller who then blocked me from buying anything else moving forward.

the other book (a recent Batman Rebirth issue) is not returnable.

Debating whether to return the ASMs since I haven’t been able to find newsstand copies of those in that grade. However, as you said, but the book not the label.

also, should I bring up these flawed books to CGC? Not sure how they were assigned a 9.8 grade in the first place, especially since 3 graders grade the books-

thanks

Shaken Comic Syndrome. Excessive shifting of the comic inside the case that causes it to get bumped/bruised by the plastic itself. Sometimes happens during shipping.

Since you're not the original submitter of these books, I doubt CGC will entertain much discussion, as they cannot vouch for any handling after it has left their custody.

Just to clarify - I am not suggesting that you "bought the label" on these comics (though that's much easier to do online), but that you should keep them based on how they present after you received them. If you don't think they look like the grade you bought them as, returning them seems like a no-brainer. If you haven't read/heard that term before, though, keep it in mind!

Shaken comic syndrome- ah

the comics came in a thin mailer shown below-

i had bought the 2 ASMs from the same seller but separately over 2 weeks-

both times had requested to securely pack with bubblewrap in hard box (to no avail), but my request was ignored. Had even stressed it after the first shipment, since this is prone to getting damaged. The boxes arrived undamaged but I though it was prone to being slammed or bent (which may not show on the box)- immnot sure if that would have been the cause of these damages though.

the last book (recent Batman) arrived in a crushed USPS priority mailing box.

08F66561-EE9A-41D1-B3F3-8D7CF3F9E7AC.jpeg

2 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I sometimes think when I see bends and NCB spine dings that they were pressed but not very well and that the paper reverted to a pre-press state. As for the color break that would never be a 9.8 unless it is on ebay ;-)

However, these weren’t ‘raw 9.8’s’-

they were already CGC graded!