• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8s on flawed books
1 1

32 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Lookin4Newsstands said:

However, these weren’t ‘raw 9.8’s’-

they were already CGC graded!

He's just saying they were likely pressed prior to submission then after they were slabbed paper fatigue or memory set in and the defects showed up again.  Are the spine bends color breaking?  They look like they should be.

Thanks to all who responded-

It seems that everyone agrees that based on the substantial color-breaking creases for these books, they would typically grade much lower than 9.8. I don’t think that these particular flaws come from SCS though; typically corner bends come from that from what I’ve seen.

Is there any point at all in bringing up these assigned 9.8 grades with CGC? Anyone have experience with doing that? 

Edited by Lookin4Newsstands

Just now, Lookin4Newsstands said:

It seems that everyone agrees that based on the substantial color-breaking creases for these books, they would typically grade much lower than 9.8.  

Is there any point at all in bringing up these assigned 9.8 grades with CGC? Anyone have experience with doing that? 

No.

53 minutes ago, Lookin4Newsstands said:

It seems that everyone agrees that based on the substantial color-breaking creases for these books, they would typically grade much lower than 9.8. I don’t think that these particular flaws come from SCS though; typically corner bends come from that from what I’ve seen.

I can only say this:   ???  

Wow! All 3 of these, especially the one with the big corner crease, are embarrassing.  I would have to say these aren't from SCS. 

At the Baltimore Con, I saw an Xmen I was interested in, graded 9.8. I asked to look at it, and right away noticed at least 5 color breaking creases. Looked more like an 8.5. 

I'm not a "grading is subjective" guy. If that were the case,  then you could also say "good eyesight " is subjective.

Edited by CCComics
Spelling

9 hours ago, CCComics said:

Wow! All 3 of these, especially the one with the big corner crease, are embarrassing.  I would have to say these aren't from SCS. 

At the Baltimore Con, I saw an Xmen I was interested in, graded 9.8. I asked to look at it, and right away noticed at least 5 color breaking creases. Looked more like an 8.5. 

I'm not a "grading is subjective" guy. If that were the case,  then you could also say "good eyesight " is subjective.

Just curious- which issue of X-Men?

new or old case?

even though grading is ‘subjective’,  I thought there were specific criteria that differentiated one grade from another...

On 11/10/2019 at 2:02 AM, MARK ARNEY said:

that is crazy. I would be concerned as well. I have never seen 98s that looked like that. If those were not cracked and replaced labels somehow, someone was drinking while grading. that'd be a DWG pho sho

Just an update on the 2 ASMs shown-

seler offered a full refund if I return, no problem-

however, he had scans of these before he shipped them out- they showed the same flaws as they do now. SCS wasn’t the problem- 

perhaps it really was DWG (drinking while grading)? That leaves me wondering...