• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a page/sketch/commission you regret getting rid of the most?
2 2

19 posts in this topic

I have very few regrets, one is a page from Uncanny X-Men #153 by Dave Cockrum I had to trade away in a deal. But the biggest regret is a page from Incredible Hulk Annual #7 by John Byrne and Bob Layton. It was the page that started my collecting comic art, which my father gave to me as a gift. 

A collector was trying to put the book back together and wanted my page. He offered me a page from Uncanny X-Men #112 by Byrne/Austin featuring Phoenix fighting Magneto for the first time. It was a cash/trade deal. It was a tough decision, I even asked my father about it. I ended up doing the deal. 

I ended up selling the Uncanny X-Men page later to fund my purchase of a page from X-Men #8 (Kirby/Stone), the first X-Men comic I ever read. I don't regret the deal considering what I ended up with but I still miss the page.

hulkann7_46.jpg.109cc1a7b491df7ec8a0cd6717447d17.jpg

I regret trading a Sandman page with Destruction on it along with 3 other pages in order to get this cover by Bisley from Locke & Key.

SimonBisley_Locke&KeyAlphaCover.jpgImmediately upon receiving this piece I knew the mistake I had made. And it felt like pouring lime on a wound when I saw that the dealer was asking more than what this piece was worth just for the Sandman art. And he still got 3 other pieces! Horrible! I true collector nightmare.

After that trade I decided to remove all of my artwork from CAF that I was not willing to sell or trade to anyone so anyone looking at my CAF doesn't think much of my collection  or as me as an OA collector. I just post to closed groups the art that is in my permanent collection.

Edited by timguerrero

1 hour ago, timguerrero said:

After that trade I decided to remove all of my artwork from CAF that I was not willing to sell or trade to anyone so anyone looking at my CAF doesn't think much of my collection  or as me as an OA collector. I just post to closed groups the art that is in my permanent collection.

Good decision. Getting picked by a professional is zero fun.

17 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I have very few regrets, one is a page from Uncanny X-Men #153 by Dave Cockrum I had to trade away in a deal. But the biggest regret is a page from Incredible Hulk Annual #7 by John Byrne and Bob Layton. It was the page that started my collecting comic art, which my father gave to me as a gift. 

A collector was trying to put the book back together and wanted my page. He offered me a page from Uncanny X-Men #112 by Byrne/Austin featuring Phoenix fighting Magneto for the first time. It was a cash/trade deal. It was a tough decision, I even asked my father about it. I ended up doing the deal. 

I ended up selling the Uncanny X-Men page later to fund my purchase of a page from X-Men #8 (Kirby/Stone), the first X-Men comic I ever read. I don't regret the deal considering what I ended up with but I still miss the page.

hulkann7_46.jpg.109cc1a7b491df7ec8a0cd6717447d17.jpg

I think you should be proud of yourself helping the other collector out. Really.:golfclap:

On 11/6/2019 at 6:36 AM, Blastaar said:

What piece of OA that you traded or sold still stings today?

A Bernie Wrightson generic monster sketch. He wasn’t thrilled to do it and it showed. Still he gave  it to me for free and I was grateful. 

I actually gave it away to someone who was a huge Bernie fan.

I don’t have anything by him today so it would be nice to still have that sketch. Well Frankenstein comes up next month so there’s that.

:bigsmile: 

Edited by grapeape

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

A Bernie Wrightson generic monster sketch. He wasn’t thrilled to do it and it showed. Still he gave  it to me for free and I was grateful. 

I actually gave it away to someone who was a huge Bernie fan.

I don’t have anything by him today so it would be nice to still have that sketch. Well Frankenstein comes up next month so there’s that.

:bigsmile: 

I think somebody with some marketing spend to burn before year end buy up The Big Wrightson and do the game-used-insert deal to market their product - Reese's Pieces? A possible piece in any package?

On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, vodou said:

Good decision. Getting picked by a professional is zero fun.

No, no fun at all. But it's a lesson that really should be learned only once. So hiding the rest of the collection now shouldn't be necessary.

As for my trades/sales...I can't say I have any real regrets there because all those transactions were in the pursuit of other art I wanted more. So my only regret would be that I couldn't keep everything.

Although, I did learn the folly of selling something too soon. I had an agreement in place to buy my most wanted piece by a certain artist from a friend. I thought the deal was so rock-solid, that I sold the example I owned by that same artist to help fund the purchase, before I had completed payment for the new piece. But my friend had changed his mind by then and decided he had made an impulsive decision to sell. If he wasn't my friend, I'd be really pizzed...because not only did I not get his piece, I no longer had the one I owned! And the one I had is still the best example I've seen in all these years. But my friend was genuinely anguished, so I couldn't stay mad for long. Just how it goes and a reminder that no deal is done until the art is in hand.

Edited by Nexus

11 minutes ago, Nexus said:

No, no fun at all. But it's a lesson that really should be learned only once. So hiding the rest of the collection now shouldn't be necessary.

As for my trades/sales...I can't say I have any real regrets there because all those transactions were in the pursuit of other art I wanted more. So my only regret would be that I couldn't keep everything.

Although, I did learn the folly of selling something too soon. I had an agreement in place to buy my most wanted piece by a certain artist from a friend. I thought the deal was so rock-solid, that I sold the example I owned by that same artist to help fund the purchase, before I had completed payment for the new piece. But my friend had changed his mind by then and decided he had made an impulsive decision to sell. If he wasn't my friend, I'd be really pizzed...because not only did I not get his piece, I no longer had the one I owned! And the one I had is still the best example I've seen in all these years. But my friend was genuinely anguished, so I couldn't stay mad for long. Just how it goes and a reminder that no deal is done until the art is in hand.

You’re a good soul. It’s a huge dilemma to need to sell a piece in order to fund another. So much can happen before you pull the trigger. 

Early in my collecting I was fortunate enough to buy the cover to the Super Powers mini comic for The Penguin for what was a lot of money for me then. I mentioned this to a collector I had met and at the same time I mentioned that I was trying to put together the complete issue for Azrael 39 because I had 4-5 pages. 

Well this guy found the cover to Azrael 39 and wanted to trade me for my Penguin. Only it was supposed to be a three way deal, sort of. He was going to take my cover and trade it for some Joker Super Powers merchandising art to a collector who had the complete interiors to the Penguin comic PLUS the complete color guide (supposedly).

The Penguin cover by Ernie Chan is small art about 8-1/2” x 11” and a bit underwhelming vs 11x17 with nice action. But most of all this was going to bring all these pieces in one home. It was one of those “between a rock and a hard place” and decided to do the trade almost based on ethics. 

Well the third collector didn’t budge on the Joker art (apparently) which is kind of ballsy. That was huge trade bait. So then the original collector just sold him the Penguin at cost of the Azrael cover which he later told me he paid 2/3s of what I paid. 

Back then I told myself that I had to make peace with letting this go so the sting is minimal. I wish that that I could have kept both pieces. If I was faced with this decision today I might say that he needs to make sure the other party agrees to the trade first and not just assume. Otherwise today I would just flat out say No, regardless of how it could bring all these pieces together. 

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

13 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Early in my collecting I was fortunate enough to buy the cover to the Super Powers mini comic for The Penguin for what was a lot of money for me then. I mentioned this to a collector I had met and at the same time I mentioned that I was trying to put together the complete issue for Azrael 39 because I had 4-5 pages. 

Well this guy found the cover to Azrael 39 and wanted to trade me for my Penguin. Only it was supposed to be a three way deal, sort of. He was going to take my cover and trade it for some Joker Super Powers merchandising art to a collector who had the complete interiors to the Penguin comic PLUS the complete color guide (supposedly).

The Penguin cover by Ernie Chan is small art about 8-1/2” x 11” and a bit underwhelming vs 11x17 with nice action. But most of all this was going to bring all these pieces in one home. It was one of those “between a rock and a hard place” and decided to do the trade almost based on ethics. 

Well the third collector didn’t budge on the Joker art (apparently) which is kind of ballsy. That was huge trade bait. So then the original collector just sold him the Penguin at cost of the Azrael cover which he later told me  he paid 2/3s of what I paid. 

Back then I told myself that I had to make piece with letting this go so the sting is minimal. I wish that that I could have kept both pieces. If I was faced with this decision today I might say that he needs to make sure the other party agrees to the trade first and not just assume. Otherwise today I would just flat out say No, regardless of how it could bring all these pieces together. 

All these heart breaks make the success stories so sweet.

I was ambitious when I started collecting. I bought my first big piece in 2001 - Miracleman 4 cover art by Jim Starlin for $800. I found an Australian collector who wanted it and traded it to him for the cover to Ghost Rider 25 (my very first trade). Then, a dealer from whom I had been buying golden age comics convinced me to trade it to him - because Ghost Rider art wasn't very popular then and wasn't a very good investment for me, he said - for the Steve Ditko Ghostly Tales 120 cover art - which he said was a much better investment. I ended up trading that toward the Crisis on Infinite Earths 6 cover art and got a huge offer of a LOT of art for the Crisis cover, so I traded it away.

Those are the pieces I miss.

Every single trade was carefully executed to build my collection to what it is today.

I also traded away a great action page of Daredevil and Wolverine from Daredevil 197 that I miss.

17 hours ago, Nexus said:

ouch

Did you ever get a replacement into the collection Felix?

Bought a Black Canary pin-up from Darwyn Cooke at DragonCon. When we bought our house, I sold a bunch of stuff to raise funds for some stuff I wanted to properly set up the new place (home theater, etc). I don't miss the vinyl records or the (most) of the toys, but I do really regret letting some of the art go, especially this piece. It was just a little marker sketch, I think I paid him $250 for it, and I think that's about what I got out of it when I sold it. At the time I thought, "Well, I can always pick up something else from him at the next show." Of course, had no idea that Darwyn would be gone so soon, and there would be no "next show" where I'd get to see him. I was a big dummy.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:20 PM, JadeGiant said:

ouch

Did you ever get a replacement into the collection Felix?

No. :cry:

Although I did have a chance to buy my original piece back later. But the new owner wanted so much for it, that I had to pass. Would rather have an example than not, but it's not the only hole in my collection. Can't have everything!

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

No. :cry:

Although I did have a chance to buy my original piece back later. But the new owner wanted so much for it, that I had to pass. Would rather have an example than not, but it's not the only hole in my collection. Can't have everything!

8 minutes ago, Nexus said:

it's not the only hole in my collection

That sounds like a thread of its own ...