• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Would You Do?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

I'll keep this scenario brief and vague until it all unfolds. 

I bought a book back in April that was hidden in a lot on Ebay for a great deal. The book as it sat, is worth around $200. When I got it, I felt a good press and some work could help it. So I decided this would be my first submission to have a comic pressed and CGC graded, as there was the potential to raise the value a bit. Basically, I thought of it as an investment towards some other books I really want, but at worst a neat book to get graded for my first ever CGC submission. 

At the time, I was new on here and was not posting much. But I was using Instagram and am part of the "comic community" that exists there. So I asked around for some pressing references and got a couple. I selected one because the pricing seemed fair and so did the CGC fees. All in, I spent around $100 to get two books pressed: this one and an issue of The Cat #1 that I had. This one was more just for me as the book had a weird warp in the cover and just needed to be flattened out. The guy doing this sent me pics of his work, had some people refer him and evened offered to chat with me in person (which I did not do as I felt he was genuine). So I sent my books. I told him to just hang onto the Cat #1 until the other issue came back from CGC and then he could ship both back to me.

This was back in May. I checked in every 3 weeks or so throughout the summer and we chatted several times. He was always showing me his pressed work. So in a way, I felt like I was making a friend. He confirmed sometime around mid to end June that CGC had the book and it was awaiting grading. Great. I knew it was a busy time of year but had realistic hopes to have the book back by September. In the meantime, we chatted every couple weeks. I even bought a couple books from him that I needed to complete a run. I got them, and this is where for the first time, I had a concern. He sent 2 of the books I wanted. One had a terrible stain on it he did not disclose, the other was fine and then 2 of the books were books I did not even want. I told him he sent me the wrong stuff and he said he would send me the others. I figured my CGC book was comic back soon, so I said just wait til then and send them all back together free of charge. This would offset the troubles and he agreed. (Oh and he also returned my Cat #1 with this purchase so I have that back). 

Well September came. By the end of the month, I was a little antsy so I asked the guy about it. He said he was contacting CGC about the submission. Apparently they told him that the books he sent in (there was my book and a couple others) were due for grading the first week of October. Great. Maybe I would have back by Halloween. I am fine with that.

Well, October goes by and nothing, so I message him again. He does not respond immediately but on Tuesday he tells me that he has crappy news. Some buddy of his, who he sent it to, was supposed to send my book and 3 other customers' books in back in May and never did. The good news is he has my book. He says he is sending it back, he said he will refund me and he is throwing in a few books as an apology. I told him he did not have to do the last thing, just as long as I got my book and money back, that would be fine.

I am currently awaiting a tracking number and confirmation he is sending my book back. I realize I made the mistake of not researching people who press and submit to CGC better. Heck, it was only a few months after I had signed up here and I really should have spent time asking around here but as I said, at the time I had not made the transition to using these boards as a means of comic communication. Either way, I am just hoping this book comes back to me. I am reluctant to send it away again if i do get it back but I now feel I have a better idea of who to use at least. 

My questions to you folks is this:

-After all this is done and I have my book back, should I share this person's info? I get that mistakes happen but I want others to be informed

-If this book does not come back to me, what is my recourse through Paypal? I have never had an issue like this outside of ebay where I know I am protected.

I'd post it in the hall of shame sections with the name. See if you get howls of protest.   The price range you are talking about is just about perfect for non consequential scams- just not enough money to get motivated into action.  In the future, use the kudos section and get  recommendations from reputable people as to where to send your materials. CGC may be expensive to use for pressing but it is reliable.  This may be a sad case of you get what you pay for. 

Wow.

I hope you get your book back. 

To be honest, this whole thing sounds like an exercise in futility. I can't tell you how many times I've heard scenarios like this in my life. When you're counting on other people, you really need to know if they're the kind of people you can count on. Successful transactions depend upon both parties keeping their word and treating the other party with courtesy and respect, and that includes keeping open communication traveling in both directions. Anytime I hear the line about a "friend" who's suddenly part of the arrangement, it means the original arrangement has been altered without your consent, or the person is trying to throw the blame on an imaginary third party. Either way, it's not good.  (tsk)

I wish you the best of luck...

22 minutes ago, Foley said:

It doesn't sound to me like any of this happened through the boards, or that the party in question is even a board member. 

No it did not originate here at all. Which is why I did not know if I should post anything anywhere else. It originated elsewhere, however, I do not know if this person is active here or not as they have never mentioned it. 

Again, maybe I am too trusting but the person seems to get a lot of business. He even posted publicly that he was pressing this book for me, and notated to others that he was doing it for a customer when they commented on how it looked. I mean, this could all be a scam that would see me out around $100 of my own money, plus the value of this book which even though I did not pay its value, would be a $400-500 loss in total. I just found it odd that, if it were a scammer, why would he publicize his work? The person has a lot of followers for a comic based account on Instagram (over 1000) including some notable companies and such which I guess really means nothing but generally on Instagram, when someone screws someone over, we all hear about it. There is even a dedicated account to follow for collectors on sellers and people to avoid and to my knowledge, this guy has not been on there.

Will keep everyone posted. Just want my book back and the $100. At worst the book.

Edited by comicginger1789

28 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

No it did not originate here at all. Which is why I did not know if I should post anything anywhere else. It originated elsewhere, however, I do not know if this person is active here or not as they have never mentioned it. 

Again, maybe I am too trusting but the person seems to get a lot of business. He even posted publicly that he was pressing this book for me, and notated to others that he was doing it for a customer when they commented on how it looked. I mean, this could all be a scam that would see me out around $100 of my own money, plus the value of this book which even though I did not pay its value, would be a $400-500 loss in total. I just found it odd that, if it were a scammer, why would he publicize his work? The person has a lot of followers for a comic based account on Instagram (over 1000) including some notable companies and such which I guess really means nothing but generally on Instagram, when someone screws someone over, we all hear about it. There is even a dedicated account to follow for collectors on sellers and people to avoid and to my knowledge, this guy has not been on there.

Will keep everyone posted. Just want my book back and the $100. At worst the book.

Life is full of lessons, my friend...some of them are more expensive than others. Live and learn...  

to answer your question I guess it depends on if you get the book back then its probably a mistake and he's friend forgot to include it in a bundled shipment or whatever.. in that case I would let it go specially if you get your money and book back and are even back again just out time that you wasted with the guy. 

if you dont get the book back or the money I would definitely let the community know even if he's not here on the boards it will at least let other people on the boards know to stay away.

Sorry this happened to you was the guy in Canada? or did you have to send it to the US? 

Just like the tactic they use in all the cop dramas. do you want someone else to fall prey to his tactics that might not be as  methodical as you were with checking up on it?  If not then I would out him here.

strip it all away. You sent the book in may and it's November- almost six months. You've got no book despite requests. I think you are being stalled. USPS can send anything anywhere in three days in the US. $200 for  a comic isn't all that much but getting you or someone else to send in something substantially more valuable would fit in what I think is a scam. Demand the book back. Then expose it if you don't have it in three days. 

I'm a fan of people with acknowledged track records. 

It doesn't sound like an outright scam (although it might be), possibly a case of being sloppy and cutting corners and/or getting in over his head (not a great excuse).  You undoubtedly have his real address and probably his real name, and a hopefully a host of messages saved.

I would be closer to filing a police report than outing the guy on social media.  That can be done AFTER the police investigation.

At this point I would attempt to buttress any and all available documentation or proofs.

I'd ask for things like proof of submission to CGC, like the forms filled out and the invoice numbers.  CGC membership numbers, photos, etc.

29 minutes ago, revat said:

It doesn't sound like an outright scam (although it might be), possibly a case of being sloppy and cutting corners and/or getting in over his head (not a great excuse).  You undoubtedly have his real address and probably his real name, and a hopefully a host of messages saved.

I would be closer to filing a police report than outing the guy on social media.  That can be done AFTER the police investigation.

At this point I would attempt to buttress any and all available documentation or proofs.

I'd ask for things like proof of submission to CGC, like the forms filled out and the invoice numbers.  CGC membership numbers, photos, etc.

The book never went to CGC and he already got the other book back.

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Well, October goes by and nothing, so I message him again. He does not respond immediately but on Tuesday he tells me that he has crappy news. Some buddy of his, who he sent it to, was supposed to send my book and 3 other customers' books in back in May and never did. The good news is he has my book. He says he is sending it back, he said he will refund me and he is throwing in a few books as an apology. I told him he did not have to do the last thing, just as long as I got my book and money back, that would be fine.

I am currently awaiting a tracking number and confirmation he is sending my book back.

Assuming the book arrives back soon, the guy is probably just a flake rather than a scammer. But if there are any further problems...

59 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

USPS can send anything anywhere in three days in the US.

Which has what to do with the Canadian posting this story?

I believe he said it was Tuesday that the guy said he will send it back its been 2 days maybe 1 day I would give the guy a few days to get him a tracking #.. this seems more like the guy was a flake and messed up on @comicginger1798 submission than a scam. As he got back one of the books that wasn't suppose to go to CGC. Also the OP bought 2 books off the guy and received them without full disclosure of the stain on one of the books (which goes in line with the flake and messing up) comment about the guy forgetting to send to CGC and being in over his head maybe thing. 

if he was scamming I would expect that he wouldn't of sent two books to the OP for a sale and return the other pressed book. 

5 minutes ago, greggy said:

:flamed:

It was paid in Mexican.. errr. I mean (Canadian peso's) :roflmao:err... sorry I mean CAD probably.