• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the kids about a horror movie

9 posts in this topic

I'm not that young or old, but I don't think the real 'young people' know anything about it (there's really too much media content out there to go around watching really old horror movies).  But for younger horror buffs, I think they can appreciate it for what it is. 

1 hour ago, revat said:

I'm not that young or old, but I don't think the real 'young people' know anything about it (there's really too much media content out there to go around watching really old horror movies).  But for younger horror buffs, I think they can appreciate it for what it is. 

the finest crafted film ever made?

It’s funny because I actually watched this for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was actually a really scary and creepy movie. I was surprised by the lack of gore given the title. I have seen one of the sequels and I remember it to be fairly gruesome.  If you like horror and never got around to watch it, I highly recommend it! (thumbsu

I generally try to put myself into the feeling of a theater-goer in the original era.  I'm not quite enough for that movie, BUT I think I would have enjoyed this movie at the time, and if you're into horror you can see some of the influences this movie had on future horror/slasher movies.  A lot of the tropes were more novel back then.

It was very effective in portraying violence without actually showing it, rather leaving it to cuts and the audience's imagination to fill in the gaps - often who would then pronounce the film to be much gorier than it really was. I grew up fascinated with horror movies (since my parents and my friends parents let us all watch them) and while I can appreciate TCM story, innovation and use of budget for the time I never regarded it anywhere close to the finest crafted film made (or horror-film, which I feel Halloween did a better job a few years later for the entire genre). It was however one of the best character designs ever, one that could horrify an audience with just a look.

I did enjoy the experimentation the series would take after the first movie, never scared of taking on a new tonal direction in the sequels (Often with goofy results). That is something many franchises fail to do and often get boring as a result of not taking such chances (Halloween in this case suffered for adhering so close to the formula of the first movie, didn't care for any of the initial sequels, but I did love the modern direct-sequel that just came out. I know I did watch the new TCM remake and can't remember any of it - so i'll take that as a bad sign for that version of the film and assume I hated it.)

Edited by Sauce Dog
spelllliiingggggggg