• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color touch removal
1 1

30 posts in this topic

1. Yes, under the right circumstances. I had a Hulk 1 with professional color touch that went from a 7.5 purple to a 6.5 blue. I also had a Tales To Astonish 27 (raw) that had amateur color touch. It was removed, creating a hole... but the book was only a mid-grader, so it was worthwhile doing... wound up a 4.5 blue.  I've submitted other restored books on which CCS/CGC declined to remove color touch, presumably because the damage caused would hurt the book's grade too much.

2. Yes... with CT removed, it will then get a blue label. Seems crazy... since it's actually been TWICE doctored... but that's the case.

3. I don't know for sure... but there are some on this board who probably can answer that question.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, APDallas said:

Can color touch be removed?

And if so can the book be submitted as untouched?

Also how can you spot a color touch?

yes as mentioned before CT depending on the grade of the book, severity of the Colour Touch (Canadian spelling of color) and other factors it can be removed if its a valuable book I would have a pro look at it to analyze if it can be removed. you can google such services. 

On 11/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, APDallas said:

Can color touch be removed?

Yep...the same way you'd remove a scab. Scrape it off. 

Now...imagine what that does to the paper. 

4 hours ago, newshane said:

Yep...the same way you'd remove a scab. Scrape it off. 

Now...imagine what that does to the paper. 

Unless, of course, it's entirely professionally done, using materials that are all removable/reversible. Then, scraping and excision are unnecessary. Which leads me to a question about some revisions, and since I've never tried to remove color touch, possibly JoeyPost can weigh in here.

Are there certain types of "professional" color touch that cannot be removed without scraping, excising, or the use of a chemical that would require CGC to slab purple? How about glue removal/tape residue removal? Would the use of any chemical to remove tape, color touch, or tape/glue related residue necessarily trigger an automatic purple label, same as a chemical to clean a cover cause that?

On 11/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, aszumilo said:

Not all color touch can be removed.  If someone used a black sharpie to touch up a black area on the cover, it will usually bleed thru the cover and be seen on the inside cover.  This cannot be removed by merely scraping off.

well technically you can removed the bleed through if its just the cover and not the interior page you would just get a hole instead. Some prefer the hole to get that blue label so they can re sell as a blue label for monetary value. 

Personally I wouldn't want the hole but to each their own. 

6 hours ago, Krismusic said:

well technically you can removed the bleed through if its just the cover and not the interior page you would just get a hole instead. Some prefer the hole to get that blue label so they can re sell as a blue label for monetary value. 

Personally I wouldn't want the hole but to each their own. 

True, but, I was referring more to the scraping it off than the cut it out.

16 hours ago, aszumilo said:

True, but, I was referring more to the scraping it off than the cut it out.

I know you were probably were referring to that but just wanted newcomer to understand that some people cut holes to get rid of the CT which I hate to see happen.

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I know you were probably were referring to that but just wanted newcomer to understand that some people cut holes to get rid of the CT which I hate to see happen.

IMO, the artificial look of the wear necessary to remove invasively bleeding color touch in many cases is far worse and far more obvious than even the amateurly done color touch the scraping and cutting is there for to remove!  Even on comics with lots of wear and defects, those flaws have a "natural" look indicative of what we hobbyists instantly recognize as normal wear. Creases, pieces, chips, rolls, tears, etc., even with a large accumulation of each, the wear is indicative of normal comic wear from reading, handling, storage, age, etc., etc.

The scrapings and excised areas of color touch look completely different and unnatural.

15 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

IMO, the artificial look of the wear necessary to remove invasively bleeding color touch in many cases is far worse and far more obvious than even the amateurly done color touch the scraping and cutting is there for to remove!  Even on comics with lots of wear and defects, those flaws have a "natural" look indicative of what we hobbyists instantly recognize as normal wear. Creases, pieces, chips, rolls, tears, etc., even with a large accumulation of each, the wear is indicative of normal comic wear from reading, handling, storage, age, etc., etc.

The scrapings and excised areas of color touch look completely different and unnatural.

oh yeah I have never had CT removed my books that had CT on them are slabbed that way either I missed it or bought them for the discount lol but I understand the CT removal is usually known and un natural. I am just point to the fact that many new comers who get the PLOD want a blue and sometimes go to the extreme of getting holy comics.. err I mean holes in their comics.. so they can get the blue universal label

39 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Right on, JJJ!   

20 minutes ago, APDallas said:

I guess the main thing is would a color touch removal get you a blue label or remain purple?

Answered this already, but CCS will make sure you get a blue label after they agree to remove restoration.

Edited by oldrover

16 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Answered this already, but CCS will make sure you get a blue label after they agree to remove restoration.

They will, but it comes at a cost. In some cases so much color has to be removed, that the book looks like a bug crawled across it and chewed away. Most amateur CT removal results in the book having some paper removed completely, not just the color. 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

They will, but it comes at a cost. In some cases so much color has to be removed, that the book looks like a bug crawled across it and chewed away. Most amateur CT removal results in the book having some paper removed completely, not just the color. 

That may be true, but in my experience CCS agrees to remove resto ONLY when it is in the financial best interests of the client.

If you've got a beautiful 8.0 PLOD and removal will bring it down to, say, a 3.0, they won't touch it.

But if it's instead at a 4.5 PLOD, that might make sense. Again, financially.