• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiny piece missing from front cover

4 posts in this topic

Bought Scooby-Doo #2 and next to scoob's paw in the outlined red area I noticed what looks like a piece missing from the cover. The book looks amazing, it's got a shine, great color and whatnot. There are only a couple spine ticks but this part is bothering me... If this is indeed a piece of it missing then how much would it hurt the grade?
P.S. this is the sellers picture. I don't have the book yet.

Scooby Doo #2.png

Edited by x10234

Unfortunately a grade cannot be given without seeing the book in it's entirety since a grade reflects the "overall" condition of the book.

Since "technically" a 1/8" piece missing is only allowed in VG 4.0 the higher the the grade without the defect the more it will lose with the defect, for instance, IMO, if this book were a FN 6.0 without the defect it would probably drop to a VG/FN 5.0 with the defect.

The word choices you've made above suggest that you're not an experienced collector.  Here's a rule of thumb that will help to keep you out of trouble when buying on eBay: if the seller is unknown to you, and the images provided are blurred (rather than crisp/sharp), request better images or move on.  There is only one way this book has a chance of being certified as a 9.4 NM, and that's if CGC has found a way of bringing George Shearing back to life and is now employing him as a grader.

This book does not have "only a couple" of spine ticks.  I count at least a half-dozen color-breaks along the spine.  The book also has several non color-breaking bends and light wrinkles (typical of a book that's been handled and read).  There are thin oxidation shadows along some of the edges of the back cover.  And these are only a few of the defects that I can readily see in the seller's blurry photos.  Nitpicky?  Maybe.  But that's what high-end grading is all about.

Is this book worth the $300 you paid for it?  Possibly -- the book's value to you can only be set by you.  A CGC-certified 7.5 VF- sold for that amount this past Spring.  However, you asked about the book's grade.  I feel confident saying that it's closer to an 8.0 VF than a 9.4 NM.