• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

I'm very excited to send a few books off for Todd's signature, but I had a question about sending the actual books in for the signing.  The instructions specifically say to submit books in window bags, but what about CGC Graded Books or even CGC Signature Series books with another signature?  Will CGC crack a holder for this type of private signing?  If they will open the slabs, should I include a window bag for each book once it comes out of the slab?

Also, how would you go about requesting a certain color of pen for the signing?  Would they typically have the standard Sharpie in black, silver, gold, etc...  Should the exact pen/marker requested be included in the submission?

Would love some insight to the process if anyone has ever participated in a CGC Private Signing before!  Thanks!

Edited by Tim Trachimowicz

I asked and they said it is 5$ additional to “crack out” the book. My question is if i send in my ASM 298,299,300 9.8’s will they guarantee they will be SS 9.8’s?. The 89$ is for signing and GRADING. Do they “regrade” my book or is it a given that it’s already a 9.8 by them and will be granted the same grade after Todd signs it....anybody? 

44 minutes ago, mrbinkelstein said:

Same for me. I got several blue label 9.8s that I want The Toddfather to sign. Since they are already 9.8’s, should I expect the same grade in return since the only people handling them is CGC?

Anything you crack open gets graded again... you roll the dice on 9.8s.

4 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

Anything you crack open gets graded again... you roll the dice on 9.8s.

So true. My ASM #300 is going to stay a blue label :(

I think they're asking if cgc is willing, considering they say have it windowed....

Which I assume, like a facilitator, they're willing to do, but a facilitator can charge fee?

And when you assume :insane:

Best case scenario is wait until Monday call cgc and adk

Books that are already signature series would need to be sent in as is without cracking them open. I would include a loose window bag and board with it. With your info written on the back of the board. 

For different color ink requests, write the color you want (“blue ink”) with an arrow pointing to the open window on the masking tape surrounding the window.

Another related question - if you were going to choose between:

Spawn 1

Spider-Man 1 green

Spider-Man 1 silver

Spider-Man 1 gold

to send in for the signing, which would be your choice?

These are all my original, direct market copies and not planning on selling.  Just wondering if you could only do one, which would you choose as the best SS candidate?

3 hours ago, Terrance M said:

Hi, so just to clarify. If I have a SS book to send in and they crack it open to add another signature, will they update the label with both signature info?

Yes. 

I've read 2 people on Facebook saying they've called CGC and they said they will crack slabs for free, you just have to provide a window bag.

I also emailed them and got the same response, but nothing about the bag or a $5 fee.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 hours ago, Ladic said:

Questions, I currently dont have any paid memberships, if I were t purchase the Premium ($149) would I be able to use that 149 credit towards the $89 fee per comic, can the credit also be used towards the marvel labels?

Submissions for the private signing only need a free membership but if you're submitting multiple books, the credit/membership pays for itself since those would be used towards everything. Unless billing/accounting says otherwise.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:59 PM, KCBatmanFan said:

Another related question - if you were going to choose between:

Spawn 1

Spider-Man 1 green

Spider-Man 1 silver

Spider-Man 1 gold

to send in for the signing, which would be your choice?

These are all my original, direct market copies and not planning on selling.  Just wondering if you could only do one, which would you choose as the best SS candidate?

Personally, I'd go for Spawn since that is purely Todd's own original creation and what he will be most known for in his legacy.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:01 PM, Terrance M said:

Hi, so just to clarify. If I have a SS book to send in and they crack it open to add another signature, will they update the label with both signature info?

yes they would print a new label for the SS added to the book.

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I wonder would they crack another grading companies book and do the cross grade? 

I would doubt any cross grade offers would apply. If you have a Blue label (any company), I would think that CGC would crack the slab for you, but the book would be regraded as if it were a raw book. Also, other company yellow labels would (and should) not be honored as a CGC yellow label.