• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, Fazzyfaz said:

I asked and they said it is 5$ additional to “crack out” the book. My question is if i send in my ASM 298,299,300 9.8’s will they guarantee they will be SS 9.8’s?. The 89$ is for signing and GRADING. Do they “regrade” my book or is it a given that it’s already a 9.8 by them and will be granted the same grade after Todd signs it....anybody? 

As a guy who's cracked 2 9.8 Batman #423's for Todd to sign...and had both come back 9.6 - no.  LOL - everything gets re-graded, so cracking a current Blue 9.8 is a risky proposition.

That said, I've also cracked 2 or 3 9.6 books for SS and had them come back 9.8 - so it's a dice roll regardless.

4 hours ago, brownies8701 said:
22 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

Anyone know if I can pay for this with a Visa gift card?

I just called CGC customer service & you cannot use a Visa gift card to pay for the McFarlane signatures.

(in case anyone else wanted to know)

I appreciate the tip!

Hello everyone! I have many questions.  This would be only my second submission to CGC, the first one being at NYCC, so I've never shipped anything to them.  These are my questions, I'd really appreciate any answers any of you can provide:

1. Is there a step by step instructions for filling out the submission form? I'm trying to fill it to the best of my knowledge but there are fields I don't know what I am supposed to fill with.  For example, where do I write the release date for the comics I will be sending, and, How do I know what grading tier and the price of said tier to fill the grading tier field on the submission form

2. Since I am a free member, can I upgrade my membership to Premium and use the $150 credit towards this signing and pay the difference if I'm sending to books for the signing?

3. Also if I upgrade and send my submission for this signing, can I also submit a book for regular grading in the same box as the ones for the signing so that I can save in shipping costs?

4. For the window bags, can I just cut a window on a normal polybag or do I have to purchase any pre-made window bags?

5. The submission form has multiple pages, do I need to send all pages or just the first one if all I am sending are two books?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

8 hours ago, Antyreal said:

Literally a few threads above this one....

Just to make my comment a little clearer, Does anyone have any recommendations on how to window bag an already slabbed book. Not how to window bag in general.

EDIT:

nevermind I saw someone on page three recommended tracing a bag over the slab.

Edited by Dsaitta5587

18 hours ago, Canvilella said:

Hello everyone! I have many questions.  This would be only my second submission to CGC, the first one being at NYCC, so I've never shipped anything to them.  These are my questions, I'd really appreciate any answers any of you can provide:

1. Is there a step by step instructions for filling out the submission form? I'm trying to fill it to the best of my knowledge but there are fields I don't know what I am supposed to fill with.  For example, where do I write the release date for the comics I will be sending, and, How do I know what grading tier and the price of said tier to fill the grading tier field on the submission form

2. Since I am a free member, can I upgrade my membership to Premium and use the $150 credit towards this signing and pay the difference if I'm sending to books for the signing?

3. Also if I upgrade and send my submission for this signing, can I also submit a book for regular grading in the same box as the ones for the signing so that I can save in shipping costs?

4. For the window bags, can I just cut a window on a normal polybag or do I have to purchase any pre-made window bags?

5. The submission form has multiple pages, do I need to send all pages or just the first one if all I am sending are two books?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

1) look at already graded books for the "dates".... once you fill out the first page, all 9 pages populates itself, send cgc all 9 pages. The grading tier is modern, but click the $89 fee for grading without press or the other option I believe is $94 with a press. In the bottom lower left corner of the 1st page, fees will be either the $89 or the "94" times however many books, plus $5 handling + shipping charges 

2) $150 credit is automatically applied to whatever you send in, but does not count toward shipping fees

3) only send in books for the signing, or do the non signing books too, but be aware you'll need a seperate form and they will be shipped seperately incurring more charges 

4) make your own, no need to purchase

5) see response 1)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

1) look at already graded books for the "dates".... once you fill out the first page, all 9 pages populates itself, send cgc all 9 pages. The grading tier is modern, but click the $89 fee for grading without press or the other option I believe is $94 with a press. In the bottom lower left corner of the 1st page, fees will be either the $89 or the "94" times however many books, plus $5 handling + shipping charges 

2) $150 credit is automatically applied to whatever you send in, but does not count toward shipping fees

3) only send in books for the signing, or do the non signing books too, but be aware you'll need a seperate form and they will be shipped seperately incurring more charges 

4) make your own, no need to purchase

5) see response 1)

Thank you so much for your help! 

The LCS is offering this service for us, unfortunately it's $170 per book, $190 with press+clean. I'd love to take advantage of this but I think it's a better option to just buy one from ebay so on the fence, we have to have our books in by Sunday 23rd.

1 minute ago, IbukiLord said:

The LCS is offering this service for us, unfortunately it's $170 per book, $190 with press+clean. I'd love to take advantage of this but I think it's a better option to just buy one from ebay so on the fence, we have to have our books in by Sunday 23rd.

why not do it through CGC yourself, where the cost is half that? I mean for bigger books at least....

The plus side of this signing is it's a "flat fee", meaning I could send in a 9.8 ASM #300 for them to crack out and it's only a flat fee of $84 without a press...... 

Instead of the Express tier or Standard Tier that would cost more, due to the value of the book... :shy: I mean if we all had the guts to do that lol this would be ideal in that it's less expensive :) 

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

why not do it through CGC yourself, where the cost is half that? I mean for bigger books at least....

The plus side of this signing is it's a "flat fee", meaning I could send in a 9.8 ASM #300 for them to crack out and it's only a flat fee of $84 without a press...... 

Instead of the Express tier or Standard Tier that would cost more, due to the value of the book... :shy: I mean if we all had the guts to do that lol this would be ideal in that it's less expensive :) 

Unfortunately doing it myself is even more of a hassle and likely will cost much more. At least through the LCS the shipping, insurance and custom fees is shared across the shipment.

It costs $45 per book for us to send provided FMV is under $200, when I tried myself the costs were totaling over $100 without factoring in customs and insurance.

4 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

Unfortunately doing it myself is even more of a hassle and likely will cost much more. At least through the LCS the shipping, insurance and custom fees is shared across the shipment.

It costs $45 per book for us to send provided FMV is under $200, when I tried myself the costs were totaling over $100 without factoring in customs and insurance.

wow! I understand, if the LCS is able to do it cheaper through bulk, then that's the way to go since they're lowering the cost to customers through bulk...I hadn't thought of being out of country :sorry: that's my bad (thumbsu edit, good on your LCS doing that though :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

wow! I understand, if the LCS is able to do it cheaper through bulk, then that's the way to go since they're lowering the cost to customers through bulk...I hadn't thought of being out of country :sorry: that's my bad (thumbsu edit, good on your LCS doing that though :) 

Yeah, South Africa, so for us shipping is pretty expensive because theft is a major issue in our postal service so we have to use couriers which makes up a huge part of the overall costs. It's definitely a step in the right direction for us and something I'd love to try support but the cost over return is a big factor. If I was in the US it would be a no brainer and would jump at the oppurtunity.

I read the post on how to make the window bags, I just have a question, it says to put the comic with the window bag inside a bigger bag, is this ok? I read the cgc instructions saying to put in a window bag, but it did not mention putting that inside another bag.  I just want to make sure I'm following the instructions correctly.

16 minutes ago, Canvilella said:

I read the post on how to make the window bags, I just have a question, it says to put the comic with the window bag inside a bigger bag, is this ok? I read the cgc instructions saying to put in a window bag, but it did not mention putting that inside another bag.  I just want to make sure I'm following the instructions correctly.

Either way is fine. As long as you have the comic in the window bag then an extra one. The extra is just to protect it in transit to the signing. When cgc is getting them all ready, either right when received or later, they just need the comic in a window bag to know where you want the signature placement and to somewhat protect it as it's handed to Todd to sign.

So really either way, if you happen to have a ;bigger bag... with Todd's being mostly copper to modern if not all, a bigger golden age bag is just for protection. 

Edit, cgc will just get rid of the extra bag when time. As long as they notice the comic is in a window bag, your good.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

57 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Either way is fine. As long as you have the comic in the window bag then an extra one. The extra is just to protect it in transit to the signing. When cgc is getting them all ready, either right when received or later, they just need the comic in a window bag to know where you want the signature placement and to somewhat protect it as it's handed to Todd to sign.

So really either way, if you happen to have a ;bigger bag... with Todd's being mostly copper to modern if not all, a bigger golden age bag is just for protection. 

Edit, cgc will just get rid of the extra bag when time. As long as they notice the comic is in a window bag, your good.

Great, Thank you!