• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

Do we just put the publisher and date of the comic on the title line of the submission form?

For example if I'm submitting ASM 300 do I just put Amazing Spider-Man on the the title line or will I put Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel, May 1988?

With the Todd McFarlane signing day quickly approaching it is getting harder and harder for me to decide on what Comics I wanted to send in for Todd to sign. So obviously, I would just send in all the ones I wanted signed, but that would cost an arm and a leg. Plus, it is so close to Christmas that funds for this is going to be limited. So, I wanted to see if I could hear some input from you guys to see which comics you would pick from my list if you could only send in four. List is:

1. Spawn #1 NM  (5/92)

2. Spider-man #1  NM  (8/90)

3. Venom #1 NM (2/93) Stan Lee Signed 

4. Venom #1 NM (2/93) Newsstand Edition 

5. Spawn / Batman NM  (4/94)

6. Batman / Spawn: War Devil NM  (1994)

7. Spawn #300J NM (9/19) Parody Cover 

8. Spawn #300A  NM  (9/19) Regular Cover

9. Spawn #2 NM  (1992)

10. Spawn #3 NM  (1992)

11. Spawn #302E NM Virgin She-Spawn

So these are the ones I would like to send. Which four would be your definit top 4?

Edited by Heath W. Shirley
Spelling

Mailed off a box today. Now, just have to hope the post office doesn't delay the delivery. I'll breathe easier once tracking confirms it received.

Among the books sent were Coyote 11 & 13, Marvel Tales 227, 234 (love this cover), 235 (love this cover more), and Venom 1 Remastered Color. I tried sending in less commonly signed books, and felt that they all have a shot at 9.8. Hopefully Todd treats them gently. And signs mine before eating some greasy pizza or burger. Though a Todd thumbprint would be rather cool.

Was going to send in my Wizard 1, but decided against it. I'd rather have it open to read. Plus, the cover is a slick cardboard material, which seemed more susceptible to smearing or poor signature quality. Was also considering sending in my Return of Wolverine 1 Remastered color, but wasn't sure if Todd would sign it. I leaned toward him not signing it, so set it aside for another day.

Hoping Todd decides to add an occasional surprise remark along with his sig, and that I'm a lucky recipient of such. But know that's probably asking too much of him under the weight of so many books to sign in such a tight timeframe. If I had to guess, it would likely be the final book he signs as a celebratory wrap-up of the event.

Edited by Legion HQ

18 hours ago, Heath W. Shirley said:

With the Todd McFarlane signing day quickly approaching it is getting harder and harder for me to decide on what Comics I wanted to send in for Todd to sign. So obviously, I would just send in all the ones I wanted signed, but that would cost an arm and a leg. Plus, it is so close to Christmas that funds for this is going to be limited. So, I wanted to see if I could hear some input from you guys to see which comics you would pick from my list if you could only send in four. List is:

1. Spawn #1 NM  (5/92)

9. Spawn #2 NM  (1992)

10. Spawn #3 NM  (1992)

So these are the ones I would like to send. Which four would be your definit top 4?

I’d pick:

Spawn #1

Spider-Man #1

Spawn #300 regular 

Spawn #302 Virgin

nice stack either way 😁

18 hours ago, Heath W. Shirley said:

1. Spawn #1 NM  (5/92)

9. Spawn #2 NM  (1992)

10. Spawn #3 NM  (1992)

I'll play.

1st, eliminate anything he didn't work on, so that eliminates 3 and 4.

After that, my preference is 11.  BUT I think if value is something you care about, just pick the four highest graded ones, because otherwise you can probably buy the majority of the rest of them in CGC SS 9.4 or 9.6 for less than it would cost to have them graded/shipped/insured/signed.

16 minutes ago, revat said:

I'll play.

After that, my preference is 11.  BUT I think if value is something you care about, just pick the four highest graded ones, because otherwise you can probably buy the majority of the rest of them in CGC SS 9.4 or 9.6 for less than it would cost to have them graded/shipped/insured/signed.

Thanks a lot! That definitely helps put things is a better prospective 🤙🤙

34 minutes ago, Heath W. Shirley said:
51 minutes ago, revat said:

I'll play.

Thanks a lot! That definitely helps put things is a better prospective 🤙🤙

One more factor that I personally would consider.  Aesthetics - which comic(s) would look best with a Todd signature, like which have a good open space for him to sign.  Some comic covers are too busy or the sig placement would be awkward or distracting from the art.  In many cases, you can probably google (or search on ebay) some images of signed examples of the comics you're considering, and maybe see where are the best and worst places to sign. 

good luck.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:43 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

CGC will be busy for the next three months once this 2 day event has finished, don't expect books to return on time.

January/February was great for TATs last year, so even with this signing I don’t anticipate that return times will be awful. Assuming mid to late February. 

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

CGC will be busy for the next three months once this 2 day event has finished, don't expect books to return on time.

January/February was great for TATs last year, so even with this signing I don’t anticipate that return times will be awful. Assuming mid to late February. 

I concur with this.  People are spending their money on other people or travel during this season, which is probably one of the reasons this signing event is scheduled at this time.  And there are very few if any cons during this time to add to the submissions as well.  As much traffic as this signing appears to be getting, they're generally all modern books, and will likely be processed in a planned efficient way as they're not mixed with other sigs, or won't be shipped back with books from multiple tiers, and a lot of the work was done probably PRE-signing.

Do you think Todd would sign an Amazing Spider-man 700 skyline variant?  It has his name on the cover.  I'm though I would try, and the worst would happen is he doesn't.  I also sent a New Mutants 87 signed by Liefeld and a Venomverse 1 skyline.