• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, SBRobin said:
42 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I think I read 13,000 books. If he got say $45 a book (half the charge) that’s almost 600k for a few days of work, not to bad a haul. Todd is the real ^^ here xD.

I was thinking around $40 sounded like a reasonable cut. 13,000 books is crazy. What is even crazier is that CGC has the staff to grade all of those so quickly. I have no idea how long it takes to grade but I would assume a minimum of 10 minutes. They must have prioritized these books over other submissions. 

Still though

giphy-1.gif

5 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

All I see a Spiderman annual 1 expo up for $500, asm 315 and 317 for $400 starting auctions. If these people think they can get $500 for a $40 book with signature they crazy. 

I don't understand....SM Annual 1 Expo is a Clayton Crain cover art. What makes people think a TM sig will bump up the price dramatically?

9 minutes ago, mrbinkelstein said:

I don't understand....SM Annual 1 Expo is a Clayton Crain cover art. What makes people think a TM sig will bump up the price dramatically?

Lol I know, just cuz it’s venomized? Sooooooo dumb imo to send that in but would better if Crain signs it, but this guy just wanted to sell it even tho Todd has nothing to do with that book. 

16 minutes ago, mrbinkelstein said:

Anyone know when was the last time CGC held a private signing with The Toddfather prior to this one? Or how often these happen?

Last Todd cgc signing was 2 years ago and I saw Todd respond to a comment on Facebook last month saying that he doesn’t want to wait 2 years to do another and will hopefully do one when he finds the time in his schedule. So hopefully yearly. 

2 hours ago, jokiing said:

I believe it was early on in this thread that there was a discussion about Spider-Man 1 regular cover and any differences between polybag and open air copies. I, for one, couldn't find any variants except web color, which I had in both. Interesting that this no-polybag copy came back with label reading "Polybag removed".... wonder what CGC is basing that on?

IMG_2225.JPG

Are you saying that was a regular, plain ol' off the rack issue that has been misidentified as a bagged edition?

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Are you saying that was a regular, plain ol' off the rack issue that has been misidentified as a bagged edition?

Yes... I even listed it as regular on the submission form. Maybe it's because of the purplish web color

2 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Yes... I even listed it as regular on the submission form. Maybe it's because of the purplish web color

I would assume it's because of the purple webs. But you bought these as unbagged copies when they were published, right..?

As weird as it sounds, is it possible that where you bought them from took them out of bags before putting them on sale..?

3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

I was thinking around $40 sounded like a reasonable cut. 13,000 books is crazy. What is even crazier is that CGC has the staff to grade all of those so quickly. I have no idea how long it takes to grade but I would assume a minimum of 10 minutes. They must have prioritized these books over other submissions. 

If graders are taking 10 minutes to grade a single book, they're not going to be graders for very long. ;)

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would assume it's because of the purple webs. But you bought these as unbagged copies when they were published, right..?

As weird as it sounds, is it possible that where you bought them from took them out of bags before putting them on sale..?

Yes, I bought it unbagged (ink still wet) and yes, it is possible that it was pulled by store owner but not likely since bagged version has "collector's item" in big letters. A big selling point.

I also have bagged copies with both web colors so.... EDIT.... Checked and my bagged copies are all purple web. Glad I checked.

Edited by jokiing

Just now, jokiing said:

Yes, I bought it unbagged (ink still wet) and yes, it is possible that it was pulled by store owner but not likely since bagged version has "collector's item" in big letters. A big selling point.

I also have bagged copies with both web colors so....

The problem, of course, is the inconsistency...and now, 30 years on, evidence is very, very old. I bought mine the day they came out (a Friday in June, 1990), too, and got one each of the silver and regular bagged.

The purple webs, apparently, are always graded as bagged editions.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

The purple webs, apparently, are always graded as bagged editions.

I guess that keeps it simple since web color and bagged/not bagged were the only variations...

1 hour ago, jokiing said:

I guess that keeps it simple since web color and bagged/not bagged were the only variations...

I wish the industry had kept better documentation for all of this. You'd think with the #1 selling book of the year, Marvel would have kept better track of all the variations they made. Sigh. 

My understanding is this:

Grey webs - Direct, Direct bagged, newsstand, newsstand bagged

Purple webs - Direct, direct bagged.

That's at least 6 different possible combos.

No purple web newsstand copies have shown up, so there is that.

If only they'd left the cover price off of the bagged editions.

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wish the industry had kept better documentation for all of this. You'd think with the #1 selling book of the year, Marvel would have kept better track of all the variations they made. Sigh. 

U made me look and my bagged Copy looks pretty purple, I kinda never noticed that b4 tbh 

BE25C502-A980-4E81-A804-AB88E7D09B0D.jpeg

A204DFC2-161E-479E-94AF-7D78ADB65741.jpeg

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I was going off memory so I double checked my comics.... all my bagged are purple web  :facepalm:  .... I have a combination of grey & purple direct not bagged (store bought 1990).... So no bagged grey, unless someone else had found that to be true. Yikes....

8 hours ago, hachimaull said:

All I see a Spiderman annual 1 expo up for $500, asm 315 and 317 for $400 starting auctions. If these people think they can get $500 for a $40 book with signature they crazy. 

Fun CGC Census facts changes since prior census. The data taken from CGCdata:

image.thumb.png.072c3599cf2c9c5bf31ae4a90c7df84e.png

image.thumb.png.548cb22054a8305deebc1ff853655399.png

image.thumb.png.db62fd4021acbded7e80c1ec34f6039a.png

image.thumb.png.024c1781af9d58ef01eedb45672271f7.png

image.thumb.png.9e2a4a7e3e0adbb17ab3fadab3322db5.png

image.thumb.png.412f142875bfdf10a4e9c242b1b4f78d.png

image.thumb.png.7c9e530d9b4be70068ef848e9f049f2e.png

image.thumb.png.c03527774f9ed6de3b92711f1eef073a.png

Thank you  Greg  Holland

Edited by catch21

7 minutes ago, catch21 said:

Fun CGC Census facts changes since prior census. The data taken from CGCdata:

image.thumb.png.072c3599cf2c9c5bf31ae4a90c7df84e.png

image.thumb.png.548cb22054a8305deebc1ff853655399.png

image.thumb.png.db62fd4021acbded7e80c1ec34f6039a.png

image.thumb.png.024c1781af9d58ef01eedb45672271f7.png

image.thumb.png.9e2a4a7e3e0adbb17ab3fadab3322db5.png

image.thumb.png.412f142875bfdf10a4e9c242b1b4f78d.png

image.thumb.png.7c9e530d9b4be70068ef848e9f049f2e.png

image.thumb.png.c03527774f9ed6de3b92711f1eef073a.png

Thank you  Greg  Holland

im curious to see the end numbers in a month. These r just the ones that didn’t get pressed. But asm 300 leading huh, not surprised