• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I just got my books back today, and I think CGC f'd up.  I had sent in two Spawn #1, and they got graded 9.4 and 9.8.  However upon inspection, I think they got SWAPPED.  The 9.4 looks like a 9.8, and the 9.8 looks like a 9.4.  Check out these pics:

IMG-4045.thumb.JPG.d386612173a40ef2527a3c9a277cbfc4.JPG

The top left corner on the 9.4 is sharp and black, while the same corner on the 9.8 is not sharp and losing some colour.  The top right corners are not bad.

COMPARE3.thumb.jpg.42ceabfd386c7647a4ebd92ce274e517.jpg

The bottom left corner of the 9.8 is tattered, whereas the 9.4 corner is again SHARP.  Similar on the bottom right corner, the 9.4 corner is sharper and cleaner than the 9.8

IMG-4049.thumb.JPG.12adbc4b76950a3efdb4bfafbf051f27.JPG

The back side of the spine has obvious differences as well.  The 9.8 spine is not white, whereas the 9.4 spine is clearly white.

What should I do??

Edited by gmgq23

Yeah, I'd bet you're right. In their haste, the labels for your two books appear to have been switched. Makes you wonder how often that happens.  :(

I would call them on Monday and explain the situation. They may ask you to ship them back and they'll take a look and rectify? Any time I've heard of a mistake being made (not often mind you), they've been real good about making it good again. Another reason I like CGC.

Edited by Legion HQ

13 minutes ago, Legion HQ said:

Yeah, I'd bet you're right. In their haste, the labels for your two books appear to have been switched. Makes you wonder how often that happens.  :(

I would call them on Monday and explain the situation. They may ask you to ship them back and they'll take a look and rectify? Any time I've heard of a mistake being made (not often mind you), they've been real good about making it good again. Another reason I like CGC.

Yes, I've already emailed them, but I'll do a follow up call monday.  I certainly hope they'll cover all the shipping costs as well... :S 

Fun fact: Spawn #1 was the very last time in comics history that the confluence of high print run, massive quantities saved in near-perfect condition, and immense, enduring popularity occurred.

There are more 9.8s of Spawn #1 than any other comic printed. That will likely remain true forever.

2 minutes ago, gmgq23 said:

Yes, I've already emailed them, but I'll do a follow up call monday.  I certainly hope they'll cover all the shipping costs as well... :S 

I think u crazy, if they swapped labels take advantage of it, it’s labeled as a 9.8 so retains that value. Id wait for a cgc opportunity to get another Signature on the 9.4 to make both ur spawns 9.8s. 

23 minutes ago, gmgq23 said:

Hey Guys,

I just got my books back today, and I think CGC f'd up.  I had sent in two Spawn #1, and they got graded 9.4 and 9.8.  However upon inspection, I think they got SWAPPED.  The 9.4 looks like a 9.8, and the 9.8 looks like a 9.4.  Check out these pics:

The top left corner on the 9.4 is sharp and black, while the same corner on the 9.8 is not sharp and losing some colour.  The top right corners are not bad.

The bottom left corner of the 9.8 is tattered, whereas the 9.4 corner is again SHARP.  Similar on the bottom right corner, the 9.4 corner is sharper and cleaner than the 9.8

The back side of the spine has obvious differences as well.  The 9.8 spine is not white, whereas the 9.4 spine is clearly white.

What should I do??

Cgc should appreciate your honesty. Some folks would've probably kept the one graded 9.8 and sent the other back for regrading, ending up with two 9.8s

45 minutes ago, gmgq23 said:

Hey Guys,

What should I do??

Dude, send in the 9.4 to CGC for a pressing and cleaning and you will end up with two 9.8's. LOL. 

25 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Fun fact: Spawn #1 was the very last time in comics history that the confluence of high print run, massive quantities saved in near-perfect condition, and immense, enduring popularity occurred.

There are more 9.8s of Spawn #1 than any other comic printed. That will likely remain true forever.

Unfortunately, this  means that the price ceiling as a collector's item will never be very high. It sold almost 2 million copies during it's initial release. 

Thank you to everyone posting updates.  I have checked this forum constantly to keep track of potential pressing or grading dates for my books...Finally, my turn to update!

My books were received on 12-05-20 and were just changed to received on 01-24-20.

I received my books back today. I sent in 5 books witch they received on 12/4 witch I only know from USPS tracking. No pressing on any books.

This is my first time doing anything with CGC so I only signed up on here as a free membership. I sent multiple emails to them with my concern of the lack of updates on my user submissions page. They promptly informed me that they had them in house and that my status would get updated and an email would be sent out once they have been graded and slabbed. Nothing. no update, no emails whatsoever.

Now, I understand that this was a big event. I understand they were under enormous pressure to keep to a schedule all while trying to maintain the highest of accuracy and efficiency. But seeing what gmgq23 has said, has put my confidence in what CGC is claiming thy do in question. In my past experience, A company is not successful by doing what they claim they do, but as how they react to mistakes and issues that happen along the way. Please, gmgq23 , keep us informed on your issue and good luck. My issue is minor compared to yours. More of a complaint than an issue. IMO, they need to look into stronger in-house data tracking, customer service and QC procedures. Anyways... show and tell time...

#1 Spawn - 9.8

#1 Spawn - 9.8

#2 Spawn - 9.8

#3 Spawn - 9.2 (has 2 bends on lower spine I didn't see. May resubmit for pressing and regrade)

#16 Spider-man/ X-Force cross-over, Last Spider-man Todd did - 9.8 (added the spider-man NYC label)

All signed T.MFozlonE  lol

Non of these were pressed and all books that I bought off a magazine rack, new, when I was a kid. 

1496810875_Mcfarlanecomics1.thumb.jpg.b21451e00b95077c6e5db270b535951c.jpg

Edited by Faceball
crop pic

27 minutes ago, mrbinkelstein said:

Can you post a pic of the bends on the spine? I don’t know if two bends is enough to go all the way down to a 9.2. 

Also a little brownish dirt area on the back around the staples, very light tho. couldnt get a good enough pic, lota glare now its in a case. No graders notes

Anyone think would be worth sending it back to be cracked open, pressed and regrade? Id be happy to get it bumped to a 9.6

70175398_20200125_1502281.thumb.jpg.bb85f9d2920a40586ab8102c94e18f8a.jpg

Edited by Faceball

5 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

that's just plain fraud

I'm not sure that's true, legally anyway. Maybe you meant colloquially but either way, it begs the question. Meaning, if it's fraud to sell a cgc graded item, what's the point of cgc. If you can't rely on their grades, there are much more serious issues. 

3 hours ago, Faceball said:

Also a little brownish dirt area on the back around the staples, very light tho. couldnt get a good enough pic, lota glare now its in a case. No graders notes

Anyone think would be worth sending it back to be cracked open, pressed and regrade? Id be happy to get it bumped to a 9.6

70175398_20200125_1502281.thumb.jpg.bb85f9d2920a40586ab8102c94e18f8a.jpg

Thanks for posting. The bends do look a bit severe as they break ink. I would honestly resend for pressing/cleaning/regrading-you should get at least a 9.4, with a good chance at a 9.6.  I have seen plenty of 9.8's that I didn't think deserved it.