• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Cman429 said:

Grader notes say:

bend left bottom of back cover
finger bends left center of back cover
moderate spine stress lines breaks color
multiple staple rusted spine

if these were on the 9.2 before it was graded, I’m shocked this many errors got a 9.2. If they occurred during the cracking, well, I guess we’ll never know. Either way I lost $175 in value just by submitting this to Todd. 

This, coupled with the dude for whom CGC mixed up a 9.4 and 9.8, confirms a lot of suspicion / reluctance I previously had about any grading agency

Ok, finally received word that the one book I could afford to send in to Todd (Spider-Man 1 Silver) was finalized / shipped.  Was sure this would get a 9.8, or at worst a 9.6 (or else wouldn’t have sent in).  So of course it got a 9.4 ☹️ 

However, there are no grader notes shown to let me know why.   Is there anyway to find out?  Is my only recourse to send in for a press and re-grade?  

In hindsight I should probably have purchased a slabbed 9.8 or created a signature window bag (didn’t know this was a thing until after I mailed my book).    Definitely feeling bummed but I know I’m not the first and won’t be the last.  😞

1 minute ago, Rayzor13 said:

Ok, finally received word that the one book I could afford to send in to Todd (Spider-Man 1 Silver) was finalized / shipped.  Was sure this would get a 9.8, or at worst a 9.6 (or else wouldn’t have sent in).  So of course it got a 9.4 ☹️ 

However, there are no grader notes shown to let me know why.   Is there anyway to find out?  Is my only recourse to send in for a press and re-grade?  

In hindsight I should probably have purchased a slabbed 9.8 or created a signature window bag (didn’t know this was a thing until after I mailed my book).    Definitely feeling bummed but I know I’m not the first and won’t be the last.  😞

No hindsight, I bought 6x 9.8 graded ASM books. Only three came back 9.8. The  others 9.4,9.6,9.6. I made my own bags and cgc crack them.

They did say 6 weeks for pressing right? and is anyone else bothered by those on feebay  trying to sell book worth under $25 for $400 just because they spent $100 to get the cgc ss Todd just did. I am using ball park figures, But you know what I am seeing out there. Its as bad when anyone dies & others try to cash in in such greedy ways. Yes, I have been a collector since 1970 so I fully understand the market.  I can recall when reprints were cheaper because it wasn't a 1st print & those Walt Whitman with lines thru the bar codes being in 3 for a buck bags. Now somehow in the 10 years I stopped following the industry, it has all been twisted around. Even the so called special covers are being sold at crazy prices & the buyers dont read them, they just want to seal them & put away, you might as well get a photo of the cover & frame it. Plus digital comics brand new at cover cost?? Whats going on?? if I don't have the actual book then it show be in the membership for $10 a month to read online.  Can someone please give me some thoughts & opinions on my food for thought, yes I am old & WHEN I LEAVE MY CAPS ON, I AM NOT YELLING. MY EYES HAVE A DARK SHAOW OVER WHAT I SEE & CAPS MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE. BUT ON FEEBAY WHEN SOMEONE PUTS A COMPLAINT IN ON ME, SAYS I AM YELLINBG AT THEM. YET ALL MY POSTS FOR MY SELLING HAS CAPS ON & WHEN I CALL FEEBAY THEY DON'T TAKE MY SIDE. ITS ALWAYS THE CHILDISH COMPLAINER THAN ENDS UP WITH MY MONEY & BOOKS BEING DAMAGED … HECK I CAN SPEAK ALL DAY ABOUT THESE THINGS, ITS PARTLY HOW THE INDUSTRY TANKED IN THE 90'S. BUT THATS ANOTHER TALE. TALK TO ME & LETS VENT ABOUT THIS STUFF. OR TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM WITH FACTS TO PROVE IT SO I UNDERSTAND MORE. THANK YOU ALL & HAVE A GREAT DAY & A WONDERFUL TIME COLLECTING..

7 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

so I looked, heres the grades I got on my books, all and all I’m pretty happy with them. Heres my predictions and the grades I got:

asm300 - 9.4

venom 1 - 9.4

spawn 1 - 9.6

malibu sun - 9.2 then changed my mind to 8.5

Line Item: 001
Comic Description: Amazing Spider-Man 300 5/88 Marvel Comics
Category: Signature
Grade: 9.4 WHITE
Comments: SIGNED BY TODD MCFARLANE ON 1/14/20

Line Item: 002
Comic Description: Venom 1 1/17 Marvel Comics McFarlane Sketch Cover
Grade: 9.6 WHITE

Line Item: 004
Comic Description: Malibu Sun 13 5/92 Malibu Comics
Grade: 9.4 WHITE

Line Item: 005
Comic Description: Spawn 1 5/92 Image Comics
Grade: 9.8 WHITE

was really praying I’d get a 9.6 asm300 but I’ll take it!!

Hey that's an awesome sub :) Congrats!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hey that's an awesome sub :) Congrats!

Thanks buddy, all are for my personal collection. The others I sent r just junk so no need to show them. 

im already preparing my next mcfarlane submission! Gonna do a coyote 11, hulk 340, and a crow mcfarlane cover that I’m getting signed by j.o.barr at rev con in May. 

is like to find another 2 before than to add I just need to make my mind up on which ones. 

36 minutes ago, Rayzor13 said:

I had this kind of happen to me a couple months ago.  I submitted a 9.8 Wolverine limited series (the Frank Miller cover with Wolvie doing the "come here" thing) that was already signed by Claremont and signed and sketched by Rubenstein.  They say never crack a 9,8 but I felt like I needed Miller on this for the trifecta.  Miller was a sig and a sketch.  Book got regraded after and became a 9.6 with NO graders notes.

CGC said I am more than welcome to send it back for a regrade......on my dime of course and with zero guarantee of what the grade would be...hell it could even drop again to a 9.4, 9.2 etc....no guarantees.  I'm still kicking it around...I see nothing wrong with the book but obviously in a slab it's hard, but the jump from 9.6 to 9.8 is very significant so I'm still thinking on it. 

Don't know what you can do other than roll the dice if you want to resubmit.

10 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Hmm,

I just check the inventory of my order. 2 of the 3 say under the Category as Signature and the third one says Modern. It’s probably nothing but it’s got me a little concerned.

I might call about it, I know there were books McFarlane said he wouldn't sign, though it's probably fine :wishluck:

Last three of my comics (pressed) are finally in shipping mode.... 13 out of 16 = 9.8 ... other three 9.6 ... not bad at all.  :whee:

Maybe soon I'll see movement on my "value" lot that's been there since Nov.13th.....

Edited by jokiing

My 12/17 has been changed status to grade/quality control. A little bit nervous as seven of them were cracked by CGC and packed to window bags by themselves. My first 25 was really good as I did everything myself. I hope it would turn out good. Prefer graded would be same after slabbed them again. :wishluck:

My 25 comics will arrive anytime today. 😁