• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:
30 minutes ago, Aslpride8 said:

Newsstand

Good question. Seems to me there is no set newsstand policy at CGC. Sent in a few Spawn newsstands myself and only one was labeled as such. What gives?

I have a theory on this, which makes sense but is largely based on conjecture and some marginally anecdotal evidence and assumptions.

First Assumption:  CGC has not denoted "newsstand" as its own thing until relatively recently, and even then not for all books.  So CGC started applying it in the last 5-7 years? does that sound right?

2nd Assumption:  The denotation of newsstand is more likely to apply to newer books, or copper books after the transition when newsstand became rarer. 

My theory is that for a given book that MIGHT be considered for newsstand denotation, CGC factors in how many of that book has already been graded.  For example, if CGC started doing "newsstands" 5 years ago, approximately 8 MILLION spawns have already been graded with no indication or record keeping of 'newsstand' or not.  Denoting "newsstand" now would largely mean NOTHING because so much of the existing graded pool of comics is unknown and will never be known, effectively rendering the 'newsstand' notation useless.

So my theory is that there is all modern books published within the last XX years will denote it, and for older books, only books that have less than XXX number of ALREADY graded CGC copies will have a denotation of "newsstand".  There are other factors probably, but that's my thinking.

6 minutes ago, Drahcirh said:

Here it is!

jesus dude and I thought I got lucky on mine! Gratz!

I got a 9.4 but I thought mine was about a 7.5 before pressing, thought I’d get a 9.2 after and it came back 9.4. Probably would of gone up to a 9.6 IF this book wasn’t so cheaply made and I didn’t have so many white spots Where the blue is along the border. 

4 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

jesus dude and I thought I got lucky on mine! Gratz!

I got a 9.4 but I thought mine was about a 7.5 before pressing, thought I’d get a 9.2 after and it came back 9.4. Probably would of gone up to a 9.6 IF this book wasn’t so cheaply made and I didn’t have so many white spots Where the blue is along the border. 

Thanks! Totally unexpected, I was really expecting somewhere in the 9.2 to 9.4 range myself.

CCS did work. 

56 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Good question. Seems to me there is no set newsstand policy at CGC. Sent in a few Spawn newsstands myself and only one was labeled as such. What gives?

20FB65E8-42E9-4EB3-AD27-3E000BAA93B7.jpeg

331B7C4B-BF11-4F72-AEE2-143CF0FA90A1.jpeg

I did check my Spawn 2 and 9 with newsstand. I didn't realized number 9 actually acknowledge newsstand. You are right with "What gives?"

5 hours ago, hachimaull said:

they offered to Give me the nyc Spider-Man logo but there should be new labels within 2-4 weeks so idk. Talk to them. 

got a response back, they provided shipping label and just need me to send them back to get re-holdered free of charge so im going to do that. hope it works out for you. i was only looking to get the venom label and nyc spidey so hopefully they get it right this time.

23 minutes ago, zhenyuho said:

got a response back, they provided shipping label and just need me to send them back to get re-holdered free of charge so im going to do that. hope it works out for you. i was only looking to get the venom label and nyc spidey so hopefully they get it right this time.

That’s what I wanted Too.... They said license ended on venom so I can’t get it and I’m not guaranteed a nyc Spider-Man. So I could send but it might not get it.......

55 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

any idea on the timeframe from date received change to mailing? Also, are the mobile and website submission update page different on how the information is relayed? 

mine shipped 6 days after received date changed And I don’t know about Mobil and computer info

11 hours ago, hachimaull said:

That’s what I wanted Too.... They said license ended on venom so I can’t get it and I’m not guaranteed a nyc Spider-Man. So I could send but it might not get it.......

Their response didnt say anything to me about nothing being unavailable though Im thinking I should clarify on my return to sub for the newer one then if thats what they told you. NYC Spidey was still available when I filled out the reholder form earlier tonight, and they just announced a new Venom today it looks like. 

This is official CGC policy on newsstand notation:

"CGC does not typically distinguish between a Direct Edition of a book, and a Newsstand Edition of a book, because usually the only difference between them is how they were distributed/where they were sold and the presence of a barcode. Plus, simply looking at the cover will show the difference to those who are interested.

Only if there is some physical difference between Direct Edition and a Newsstand Edition will CGC distinguish between the two.

Things that differentiate between some Directs and Newsstands are: different paper stock, different cover prices, and inserts vs. no inserts.

In cases like that, Newsstand Editions will be "broken out". But it is because of the physical difference of the books, not just because it is a Newsstand edition in-and-of itself.

If there is a physical difference in these editions that would warrant us to notate that on the label, let us know and we can have them pulled and reviewed."

This is their official policy.

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Just got mine! Just a T and not a Todd. The silver sharpie on the green is hard to see.

IMG_7891 2.jpeg

I feel your pain! I got this GOLD sig, (NOT FROM THIS SIGNING) but you'd think that he'd have signed it similar to "other's"!~! I mean maybe since it was a "promo comic" the area around Spidey is smaller was the reason? I'm not sure, but I was disappointed with it for sure :( 

GetImage.aspx?c=3276495&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I feel your pain! I got this GOLD sig, (NOT FROM THIS SIGNING) but you'd think that he'd have signed it similar to "other's"!~! I mean maybe since it was a "promo comic" the area around Spidey is smaller was the reason? I'm not sure, but I was disappointed with it for sure :( 

I'll quote myself from Page 7 below ... looks like it is true. Something to keep in mind for future signings. For this round, I marked "Gold Ink Please" for my Gold Spider-man ... but he ended up using a White marker??? Looks like white-out if you ask me.

"I've had books signed by McFarlane in the past (not through CGC) and from what I'm told by the facilitator, Todd is notorious for signing in whatever ink color he feels in the moment and doesn't really pay any attention to requests for ink color preference. I sent my books in with an ask for Silver, but was told that on the actual day, midway through signing, Todd decided to switch and started using a blue Sharpie! My heart sank, as I think blue kills the look. Anyways, when I finally got my books back, I was relieved that mine made it in the silver batch. Facilitator told me I got lucky, as in the end no one can tell Todd what to do :)"

On 1/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, 315008 said:

Ok

ASM 315 = 9.4 (Qualified, was signed by Michelinie before subbing). Ok with that, it's been mine since I bought from Time Warp Comics in Boulder

Coyote 11 = 9.4. A little bummed this didn't come out higher.

Spawn 300 (McFarlane / Capullo variant) = 9.8 (Qualified, signed by Capullo, Snyder, Opena, and Alexander before subbing). Stoked about this one.

Just opened my box. "T. McFarlane" on ASM and Coyote (silver) and "Todd" in black on Spawn. Before hearing everyone else make an issue about "T." vs. "Todd", I would not have cared but now I'm a little bummed. Lol. FOMO, I guess.

The fact that they were signed on my birthday 1/20 makes up for it.

Edited by 315008
typo