Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
12 12

1,036 posts in this topic

13,716 posts
2 minutes ago, SBRobin said:
42 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I think I read 13,000 books. If he got say $45 a book (half the charge) that’s almost 600k for a few days of work, not to bad a haul. Todd is the real ^^ here xD.

I was thinking around $40 sounded like a reasonable cut. 13,000 books is crazy. What is even crazier is that CGC has the staff to grade all of those so quickly. I have no idea how long it takes to grade but I would assume a minimum of 10 minutes. They must have prioritized these books over other submissions. 

Still though

giphy-1.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 posts

Anyone know when was the last time CGC held a private signing with The Toddfather prior to this one? Or how often these happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 posts
5 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

All I see a Spiderman annual 1 expo up for $500, asm 315 and 317 for $400 starting auctions. If these people think they can get $500 for a $40 book with signature they crazy. 

I don't understand....SM Annual 1 Expo is a Clayton Crain cover art. What makes people think a TM sig will bump up the price dramatically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121 posts
9 minutes ago, mrbinkelstein said:

I don't understand....SM Annual 1 Expo is a Clayton Crain cover art. What makes people think a TM sig will bump up the price dramatically?

Lol I know, just cuz it’s venomized? Sooooooo dumb imo to send that in but would better if Crain signs it, but this guy just wanted to sell it even tho Todd has nothing to do with that book. 
 

16 minutes ago, mrbinkelstein said:

Anyone know when was the last time CGC held a private signing with The Toddfather prior to this one? Or how often these happen?

Last Todd cgc signing was 2 years ago and I saw Todd respond to a comment on Facebook last month saying that he doesn’t want to wait 2 years to do another and will hopefully do one when he finds the time in his schedule. So hopefully yearly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,337 posts

Statue on my 12/10 has been schedule for grading. :whee:

Others on 12/17 still “received”

Can’t wait to see them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,213 posts

One invoice shipped. Some gift grades, some hammer grades. 

Let's hope for all gift grades on the second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,213 posts
2 hours ago, jokiing said:

I believe it was early on in this thread that there was a discussion about Spider-Man 1 regular cover and any differences between polybag and open air copies. I, for one, couldn't find any variants except web color, which I had in both. Interesting that this no-polybag copy came back with label reading "Polybag removed".... wonder what CGC is basing that on?

IMG_2225.JPG

Are you saying that was a regular, plain ol' off the rack issue that has been misidentified as a bagged edition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384 posts
9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Are you saying that was a regular, plain ol' off the rack issue that has been misidentified as a bagged edition?

Yes... I even listed it as regular on the submission form. Maybe it's because of the purplish web color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,213 posts
2 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Yes... I even listed it as regular on the submission form. Maybe it's because of the purplish web color

I would assume it's because of the purple webs. But you bought these as unbagged copies when they were published, right..?

As weird as it sounds, is it possible that where you bought them from took them out of bags before putting them on sale..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,213 posts
3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

I was thinking around $40 sounded like a reasonable cut. 13,000 books is crazy. What is even crazier is that CGC has the staff to grade all of those so quickly. I have no idea how long it takes to grade but I would assume a minimum of 10 minutes. They must have prioritized these books over other submissions. 

If graders are taking 10 minutes to grade a single book, they're not going to be graders for very long. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384 posts
4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I would assume it's because of the purple webs. But you bought these as unbagged copies when they were published, right..?

As weird as it sounds, is it possible that where you bought them from took them out of bags before putting them on sale..?

Yes, I bought it unbagged (ink still wet) and yes, it is possible that it was pulled by store owner but not likely since bagged version has "collector's item" in big letters. A big selling point.

 I also have bagged copies with both web colors so.... EDIT.... Checked and my bagged copies are all purple web. Glad I checked.

Edited by jokiing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,213 posts
Just now, jokiing said:

Yes, I bought it unbagged (ink still wet) and yes, it is possible that it was pulled by store owner but not likely since bagged version has "collector's item" in big letters. A big selling point.

 I also have bagged copies with both web colors so....

The problem, of course, is the inconsistency...and now, 30 years on, evidence is very, very old. I bought mine the day they came out (a Friday in June, 1990), too, and got one each of the silver and regular bagged.

The purple webs, apparently, are always graded as bagged editions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384 posts
Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

 

The purple webs, apparently, are always graded as bagged editions.

I guess that keeps it simple since web color and bagged/not bagged were the only variations...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57,213 posts
1 hour ago, jokiing said:

I guess that keeps it simple since web color and bagged/not bagged were the only variations...

I wish the industry had kept better documentation for all of this. You'd think with the #1 selling book of the year, Marvel would have kept better track of all the variations they made. Sigh. 

My understanding is this:

Grey webs - Direct, Direct bagged, newsstand, newsstand bagged

Purple webs - Direct, direct bagged.

That's at least 6 different possible combos.

No purple web newsstand copies have shown up, so there is that.

If only they'd left the cover price off of the bagged editions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121 posts
12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wish the industry had kept better documentation for all of this. You'd think with the #1 selling book of the year, Marvel would have kept better track of all the variations they made. Sigh. 

My understanding is this:

Grey webs - Direct, Direct bagged, newsstand, newsstand bagged

Purple webs - Direct, direct bagged.

That's at least 6 different possible combos.

No purple web newsstand copies have shown up, so there is that.

If only they'd left the cover price off of the bagged editions.


U made me look and my bagged Copy looks pretty purple, I kinda never noticed that b4 tbh 

BE25C502-A980-4E81-A804-AB88E7D09B0D.jpeg

A204DFC2-161E-479E-94AF-7D78ADB65741.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384 posts
2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wish the industry had kept better documentation for all of this. You'd think with the #1 selling book of the year, Marvel would have kept better track of all the variations they made. Sigh. 

My understanding is this:

Grey webs - Direct, Direct bagged, newsstand, newsstand bagged

Purple webs - Direct, direct bagged.

That's at least 6 different possible combos.

No purple web newsstand copies have shown up, so there is that.

If only they'd left the cover price off of the bagged editions.

I was going off memory so I double checked my comics.... all my bagged are purple web  :facepalm:  .... I have a combination of grey & purple direct not bagged (store bought 1990).... So no bagged grey, unless someone else had found that to be true. Yikes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
520 posts
8 hours ago, hachimaull said:

All I see a Spiderman annual 1 expo up for $500, asm 315 and 317 for $400 starting auctions. If these people think they can get $500 for a $40 book with signature they crazy. 

Fun CGC Census facts changes since prior census. The data taken from CGCdata:

image.thumb.png.072c3599cf2c9c5bf31ae4a90c7df84e.png

 

image.thumb.png.548cb22054a8305deebc1ff853655399.png

image.thumb.png.db62fd4021acbded7e80c1ec34f6039a.png

image.thumb.png.024c1781af9d58ef01eedb45672271f7.png

image.thumb.png.9e2a4a7e3e0adbb17ab3fadab3322db5.png

image.thumb.png.412f142875bfdf10a4e9c242b1b4f78d.png

image.thumb.png.7c9e530d9b4be70068ef848e9f049f2e.png

image.thumb.png.c03527774f9ed6de3b92711f1eef073a.png

 

Thank you  Greg  Holland

 

Edited by catch21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121 posts
7 minutes ago, catch21 said:

Fun CGC Census facts changes since prior census. The data taken from CGCdata:

image.thumb.png.072c3599cf2c9c5bf31ae4a90c7df84e.png

 

image.thumb.png.548cb22054a8305deebc1ff853655399.png

image.thumb.png.db62fd4021acbded7e80c1ec34f6039a.png

image.thumb.png.024c1781af9d58ef01eedb45672271f7.png

image.thumb.png.9e2a4a7e3e0adbb17ab3fadab3322db5.png

image.thumb.png.412f142875bfdf10a4e9c242b1b4f78d.png

image.thumb.png.7c9e530d9b4be70068ef848e9f049f2e.png

image.thumb.png.c03527774f9ed6de3b92711f1eef073a.png

 

Thank you  Greg  Holland

 


im curious to see the end numbers in a month. These r just the ones that didn’t get pressed. But asm 300 leading huh, not surprised 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
520 posts
2 minutes ago, hachimaull said:


im curious to see the end numbers in a month. These r just the ones that didn’t get pressed. But asm 300 leading huh, not surprised 

Actually it is Spawn 1 with 224.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121 posts
9 minutes ago, catch21 said:

Actually it is Spawn 1 with 224.


yeah it is. It’s late, asm 300 and spawn 1 will be hard to match tho. They will be the top two I think, can u give us updates in a month when everythings done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
12 12