• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane CGC Private Signing December 2019
6 6

1,036 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that it was you in the past, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but are you going to do an unboxing video? How many books? lol just trying to take your mind off of it, by..... talking about it :roflmao: :foryou: 

I’m Doing a mail call and unboxing video tomorrow afternoon when my package arrives :) 

3 hours ago, Legion HQ said:

I looked at the grades, and honestly, I feel a bit let down. Not terribly so, but my excitement has been dampened.

I'm somewhat ok at determining what will be a 9.8 and what won't. I felt like all the books I sent in were strong candidates for 9.8, especially after a pressing. None had spine tics or bends at all. That's what I look for with my amateur eye.

I'm getting back 7 9.8s, 8 9.6s, and 1 9.2. Granted, I only really look over the covers, not the insides really. But this is the worst 9.8 ratio (less than 50%) that I've ever received with a submission, including before when I didn't even have books pressed. 

I'll see what they look like when I get them back. If there are suddenly obvious spine tics, then I'll just chalk it up to Todd leaning heavily on the books while he signed them, which is a bummer. If I still don't see anything wrong with them, then I'm considering sending some of the 9.6s back in later for a re-press / re-grade, just out of curiosity, once the stress of this marathon of McFarlane grading has worn off of them.

I know that feeling, I don't focus on grades but the coolness of his auto. That help me feel good about my cgcs result. :) 

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think that it was you in the past, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but are you going to do an unboxing video? How many books? lol just trying to take your mind off of it, by..... talking about it :roflmao: :foryou: 

Yep, I'll be doing a video - I'll drop a link here for those interested when I do.

Just one book, CGC and Todd deciding to drop this during Christmas season made for a limited sub. 

Very curious how it'll turn out, it wasn't the highest of grades pre-press (maybe 8.0-8.5), but the flaws were basically all fixable by press.

If CCS did a good press I think the sky is the limit on it.

2 minutes ago, Drahcirh said:

Yep, I'll be doing a video - I'll drop a link here for those interested when I do.

Just one book, CGC and Todd deciding to drop this during Christmas season made for a limited sub. 

Very curious how it'll turn out, it wasn't the highest of grades pre-press (maybe 8.0-8.5), but the flaws were basically all fixable by press.

If CCS did a good press I think the sky is the limit on it.

Best of Luck :) Dave and Adams had a Malibu Sun #13 in 9.6 for $375 around Christmas too, lol but I opted for lower grade Silver Surfer #1 & #4 :) 

Someone should try to get Malibu Sun #13 added to the CGC registry, but unfortunately to do that for a series to be added, people need to collect and slab more that one issue from the series.... 

That kind of tipped the scales on what book I bought at Christmas :foryou: Like I said, I'll watch it just to see your reaction, hoping for the best though! :wishluck: 

Only slightly related, but this is the worst example of the bad cut job on ASM #300 I've ever seen. Frankly, I can't understand why Sparta didn't trash all these copies and start over. Well...of course, I DO understand, but still. You see this "miscutting" on a lot of Marvel and DCs from these few years, but never as bad as the ASM #300. The blade was clearly at the end of the line at this point.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Best of Luck :) Dave and Adams had a Malibu Sun #13 in 9.6 for $375 around Christmas too, lol but I opted for lower grade Silver Surfer #1 & #4 :) 

Someone should try to get Malibu Sun #13 added to the CGC registry, but unfortunately to do that for a series to be added, people need to collect and slab more that one issue from the series.... 

That kind of tipped the scales on what book I bought at Christmas :foryou: Like I said, I'll watch it just to see your reaction, hoping for the best though! :wishluck: 

Can't blame you on that - SS4 is on my want list. I had a lower end copy, but I ended up letting it go and regretted it almost instantly lol.

I'm surprised Malibu Sun 13 doesn't get more love in general - especially with the Number 1 having such an absurd print number.

Even if not a true first comic - it's still reasonably significant. 

I'm surprised people don't go after Malibu Sun 8 a bit harder too with Evil Ernie. (shrug)

This one was already sitting in my collection so it made the decision easy when the announcement was made.

1 minute ago, Drahcirh said:

Can't blame you on that - SS4 is on my want list. I had a lower end copy, but I ended up letting it go and regretted it almost instantly lol.

I'm surprised Malibu Sun 13 doesn't get more love in general - especially with the Number 1 having such an absurd print number.

Even if not a true first comic - it's still reasonably significant. 

I'm surprised people don't go after Malibu Sun 8 a bit harder too with Evil Ernie. (shrug)

This one was already sitting in my collection so it made the decision easy when the announcement was made.

I hear you on that! I've resonated that if it happens again, a Todd CGC signing, that I'll send in some raws :) I'm no daredevil on sending in already slabbed 9.8's ha! 

But to everyone, Glad you TOOK the RISK, and May it all work out! :wishluck: :headbang: 

55 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Only slightly related, but this is the worst example of the bad cut job on ASM #300 I've ever seen. Frankly, I can't understand why Sparta didn't trash all these copies and start over. Well...of course, I DO understand, but still. You see this "miscutting" on a lot of Marvel and DCs from these few years, but never as bad as the ASM #300. The blade was clearly at the end of the line at this point.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like a gerbil chewed off the edges :roflmao:

After a week in the mail I finally got my subs back.  Pretty happy with the grades I received.  2/8 Todd's. Sharpie preference was pretty much ignored, but they looked good except for my Image United multi sig. His lone black signature really stands out against the other gold ones. It's was an odd choice especially when he signed half my other books in gold. My OCD is wanting me to start over again.:facepalm:

20200129_171622.jpg

20200129_171533.jpg

16 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'd be happy with that.Buying it ,I mean.Going to keep an eyeball for a 311 like that or Hulk 344. A 9.0 would be just fine...

11 hours ago, 1dingo said:

After a week in the mail I finally got my subs back.  Pretty happy with the grades I received.  2/8 Todd's. Sharpie preference was pretty much ignored, but they looked good except for my Image United multi sig. His lone black signature really stands out against the other gold ones. It's was an odd choice especially when he signed half my other books in gold. My OCD is wanting me to start over again.:facepalm:

20200129_171622.jpg

20200129_171533.jpg

I hear ya! Stuff like that really irks me too! Like really, everyone signed in gold (and I'm sure you asked for gold) and you couldn't follow suit?! Ugh. 

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That is absolutely brutal

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Maybe these early auction guys are just getting rid of their low-graded copies at whatever price they can recoup before the market is really flooded over the next couple weeks. Good situation for anyone who simply wants any ol' McFarlane signed book. Outside of the top 5-10 submitted books though (looking at you Spawn 1 and ASM 300, etc), if someone is targeting a specific book in 9.8, I don't expect they'll get much of a deal, if any. Like I'd love a copy of a signed 9.8 Wizard 1 or Marvel Tales (any number), but I'm not expecting I'll find any good deals.

2 minutes ago, Legion HQ said:

Maybe these early auction guys are just getting rid of their low-graded copies at whatever price they can recoup before the market is really flooded over the next couple weeks. Good situation for anyone who simply wants any ol' McFarlane signed book. Outside of the top 5-10 submitted books though (looking at you Spawn 1 and ASM 300, etc), if someone is targeting a specific book in 9.8, I don't expect they'll get much of a deal, if any. Like I'd love a copy of a signed 9.8 Wizard 1 or Marvel Tales (any number), but I'm not expecting I'll find any good deals.

Oh, no doubt. But anything less than about $125 total is a loss, with fees factored in. Maybe even a little more. 

Hopefully, people have learned their lessons and stop dumping books on the market, but hard experience makes me doubt it. Some local numbskull got a ton bunch of relatively key early Valiant books (Magnus #5, Solar #3) and got them signed by Shooter late last year...and have been methodically dumping them on the market, 8-12 copies of these books, 1 a week, for the last several months.

Way to drive down the market, folks! :applause:

Great opportunity for buyers...