• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i wish bernie wrightson would do a new swamp thing story.

19 posts in this topic

i just had a thought today about cool it would be to see bernie do a new swamp thing mini series. like a four issue deal. and maybe as a kicker bring in a guest inker for each issue. my picks would be issue # 1. kaluta. # 2 jeff jones. # 3 russ heath. and the last book could be, george pratt. neal adams. or kelly jones.

what do you guys think. larry

I think Wrightson's peak period stuff is unbeatable, but he's not nearly as good these days. I just saw a Swamp Thing painting by him dated between 03-05 (cant remember specifically) and to put it nicely it was subpar.

Dont get me wrong, he's one of my favorite artists, but unless he can pull off a serious improvement, he should leave his greatest creation alone.

well. i do think there is a little truth to that. but his pencils are still strong but it.s his inks and such are not as strong. that.s why i mention the guest inkers. i think they would really put him over the top. larry.

Berni is the first to admit that he can't ink the way he did in the days of Frankenstein (mid-70s). He phsyically can't do it. His pencils still are superb, and guest inkers (like Mike Kaluta, who knows his style and personality well) would work. That being said, I'm sure most creators who made a major splash on a character many years ago would be content to leave well-enough alone.

i think if enough people got behind this. iam sure bernie would want to keep his fan happy.

not to mention. this could be the biggest event in comics in years. and iam sure it would put a few large coins in his pocket to boot.

i say get len wein to write it or neil gaimen or alan moore to write it . it would be a must have on every body,s list. and think of the art that would be on the market.

sure it would cost a mint. but at least some of us would have a shot at getting a page. i think its safe to say. who would not want a nice bernie swamp thing page in there collection.

larry

Berni is the first to admit that he can't ink the way he did in the days of Frankenstein (mid-70s). He phsyically can't do it.

His hand was in bad shape when I met him a couple of years ago. frown.gif

iam not sure. but i know he had some kind of damage to his drawing hand a while back that stop him from finishing the kaluta shadow graphic novel . i heard he did ten pages and could not do any more.

russ heath had to step in to finish the book. no one knows what happened to the few pages bernie did inked. i would think he still has them. i don,t think they have ever showed up on the open market. larry

What is the issue with his hand?

He wasn't specific. He would say things like "I've been working to much lately.", but then he wouldn't say what he was working on........

I could tell it was really sore even at dinner, just the way he used it when he was cutting his food. I felt bad after seeing this because I'd asked him to sign my Swamp Thing run early in the day. I wouldn't have asked if I'd known his hand hurt. sorry.gif

He wasn't specific. He would say things like "I've been working to much lately.", but then he wouldn't say what he was working on........

I could tell it was really sore even at dinner, just the way he used it when he was cutting his food. I felt bad after seeing this because I'd asked him to sign my Swamp Thing run early in the day. I wouldn't have asked if I'd known his hand hurt. sorry.gif

That's really sad. frown.gif His talent is so great.

I have seen the picture of you two, but I didn't know you also had dinner with him. How long did you guys spend together?

I have seen the picture of you two, but I didn't know you also had dinner with him. How long did you guys spend together?

The better part of a day. I had no idea he'd done so much movie work until he told me about a bunch of the movies he'd been involved with. ASM and Reign Of Fire come to mind off the top of my head. He drew the dragons in RoF. Killer stuff.

The better part of a day. I had no idea he'd done so much movie work until he told me about a bunch of the movies he'd been involved with. ASM and Reign Of Fire come to mind off the top of my head. He drew the dragons in RoF. Killer stuff.

Ghostbusters too!

Ghostbusters too!

Yes! It's a long list (most I can't rememebr) that could probably be found via google, I'm just to lazy. grin.gif

I know in an interview a handful of years ago, Bernie mentioned he was suffering pain in his drawing hand. It turned out to be an allergic reaction to something in the pencil lead he was using. The rumors were so bad at one point "leprosy" was mentioned! As far as I know he's still doing a large amount of sketches without any problems. That was the only incident I heard of where he was having any physical problems. I know he was trying to quit smoking this year, but I haven't heard if he's succeeding.

Here's a link to the Swamp Thing paining done recently. I believe this is the one you mentioned?

http://www.wrightsoncollector.com/dalcon05.jpg

wrightsoncollector

Here's a link to the Swamp Thing paining done recently. I believe this is the one you mentioned?

No, that's not the Swamp Thing painting I was talking about (which was weak). The one you linked to is really awesome actually. smile.gif