• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New comic collectors - any young ones about?

8 posts in this topic

I know this has been done to death - but the search function is royally bolloxed and after going back 15 pages i gave up.

So I was reading Saga and came across their survey results from issue #1 - it was quite encouraging, although it is from 2012.

0335a.jpg.8ae8b8d3309077f7477e75e41b9af943.jpg

So the average age of reader was 27 with 35% of respondents being female. Maybe the death of this hobby is overstated - I remember some dealers saying they were getting kids at their booths buying books.

What are peoples thoughts - agree or are we still heading for comic oblivion in 20 - 30 yrs when the 40 - 50 yr olds start to die off in big numbers :cry:

Just thought this would be more fun than watching Selena Gomez in a Walt Disney film. :wishluck:

My LCS buddy states kids hate comic stores.  Dad brings em in tries to interest em in comics and CAN WE GO NOW???  Its abt as fun as perusing textbooks, to them.

Edited by kav

They’re definitely not as popular with this generation as they were with mine, and even if the properties were popular, I don’t think there’s any long term way to save the monthly floppy format. It’s just too little bang for your buck. Also, young people don’t tend to collect things like we do. Plenty of them are fine with digital, trades, and the library. I don’t think reading comics is going away but I think the properties that are big in comics today may fade away like Disney, Archie, and MAD have. 

A lot of drek being printed nowadays. DC and Marvel IMO should consolidate, make less titles with better content, and be a less-convoluted medium. As an adult it's difficult to find/afford reading through titles to find out what is good or what I like. I can't imagine the overload of being a kid or teen and trying to find something.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

A lot of drek being printed nowadays. DC and Marvel IMO should consolidate, make less titles with better content, and be a less-convoluted medium. As an adult it's difficult to find/afford reading through titles to find out what is good or what I like. I can't imagine the overload of being a kid or teen and trying to find something.

maybe try the bronze age or copper age stuff.. instead of the modern stuff... I did like the x men during the 90's I mean it wasn't valuable books but I liked the stories.. specially wolverine.. 

damn I still need to get a 181... :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

maybe try the bronze age or copper age stuff.. instead of the modern stuff... I did like the x men during the 90's I mean it wasn't valuable books but I liked the stories.. specially wolverine.. 

damn I still need to get a 181... :facepalm:

That's good advice, but typically good back issues and collected editions are more expensive. You never know if kids or teens will appreciate what you do, or those older stories and art.

Almost everything that I like is circa 1980-2005.

If current comic books weren't so bountiful and boring, it would do a lot for getting pre-20's people into them.

I'm trying to perceive it from a parent's perspective - their budgetary focus isn't on entertainment like mine is. I can buy all the cards, comics, and guns that I want. They can't/won't.