• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parady covers

12 posts in this topic

I don’t know what parady is

but there’s a window bag thread in the signature room sub forum

dig around you’ll find it

par·o·dy

noun: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

verb: produce a humorously exaggerated imitation of (a writer, artist, or genre).

A parody cover would be a comedic/dramatic takeoff of an original cover so I would gather he only signing original covers, not variant covers.

IE: The movie Spaceballs is a Parody of Star Wars movies.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNT2AXhT3SK8n5PgYGQ5xj_W8cUMsQ:1573487169985&q=what+are+McFarlane+parody+covers&tbm=isch&source=univ&sxsrf=ACYBGNT2AXhT3SK8n5PgYGQ5xj_W8cUMsQ:1573487169985&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYhs2-wOLlAhWPylkKHfucATcQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=635

Edited by marvelmaniac

28 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

par·o·dy

noun: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

verb: produce a humorously exaggerated imitation of (a writer, artist, or genre).

A parody cover would be a comedic/dramatic takeoff of an original cover so I would gather he only signing original covers, not variant covers.

IE: The movie Spaceballs is a Parody of Star Wars movies.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNT2AXhT3SK8n5PgYGQ5xj_W8cUMsQ:1573487169985&q=what+are+McFarlane+parody+covers&tbm=isch&source=univ&sxsrf=ACYBGNT2AXhT3SK8n5PgYGQ5xj_W8cUMsQ:1573487169985&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYhs2-wOLlAhWPylkKHfucATcQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=635

That's what I was truly wondering, if the Spawn 300 variant cover that looks like the ASM 300 cover would be accepted for signing.  In Todd's video announcing this private CGC signing he is actually holding this exact cover in his hands as he talks about the books he will sign, which is what is confusing me.  Thanks for the info though!

2 minutes ago, Ladic said:

what they mean is covers that resamble cover TM originally drew, for example ASM 800 Shattered Variant is a parody cover of ASM 300, he will not sign that comic.

So the same with the Spawn 300 variant that is the same as ASM 300 cover, he won't sign that either.

5 minutes ago, zombieshaner said:

So the same with the Spawn 300 variant that is the same as ASM 300 cover, he won't sign that either.

no, because he actually did drew those variants. Its only for any parody covers he did not draw.

So he WILL sign that Spawn 300 variant.

Edited by Ladic

19 minutes ago, zombieshaner said:

Another question....which Spawn 301 cover would you get signed?

Assuming you mean signed by Todd McFarlane, I personally would opt for one for which Todd did main art (not just inks) for the cover.

Those choices are A (regular), I (sketch), J (1:25 Virgin), 2nd Print. H (ASM 301 cover swipe - is this considered a parody cover?).

Ideally you'd want something where signature shows well.  To that end, I think the sketch version and the virgin cover have the most blank space.  I'm a big fan of sketch cover's, so I'd probably choose that one.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

Assuming you mean signed by Todd McFarlane, I personally would opt for one for which Todd did main art (not just inks) for the cover.

Those choices are A (regular), I (sketch), J (1:25 Virgin), 2nd Print. H (ASM 301 cover swipe - is this considered a parody cover?).

Ideally you'd want something where signature shows well.  To that end, I think the sketch version and the virgin cover have the most blank space.  I'm a big fan of sketch cover's, so I'd probably choose that one.

That's amazingly helpfull!  I had it down to the sketch cover, ASM 301 cover swipe, and cover F (McFarlane/Opena).  I wish I had cover J, it's the only one I couldn't get my hands on.  According to CGC customer service, parody covers are covers that copy McFarlane's work but that he did not work on, so the ASM 301 cover swipe could be signed.  I'm getting Spawn 300 ASM 300 cover swipe signed, so getting the ASM 301 cover swipe signed too might be a little boring I think.