• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020: 50th Anniversary of the Bronze Age
1 1

13 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

All great points, but I would expand the nod to Wrightson as a move back into horror overall, as the anthologies sold strong until the end of the Bronze Age, and horror crept into superheroes in a way not seen in decades. :)

I'm a big fan of Wrightson but have to also give a nod to Neal Adams for the move back into horror. Let's not forget Kaluta, Ploog, Sparling, Colan, and the legendary Gray Morrow for their respective roles. Still, I can't help but think Myron Fass at Eerie Publications and the guys at Warren and Skywald for having a role in the second great age of horror. I like to think Bernie was the Ghastly Graham of the second great age of horror- I would also argue that the Bronze Age of Horror required a greater level of creativity thanks to the restrictions required by the CCA. The genius of Wrightson is that he achieved greatness within the censorship of the Bronze Age. And he did it when Fass, Warren, and Skywald were essentially precode horror books taking advantage of the freedoms of the magazine format. FM radio first hit the airwaves along with Eerie Publications and Skywald. Bernie and the great artists I mentioned above were doing the unthinkable: making "Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath music" on the restricted airwaves of "AM radio!" 

Yeah I think the mags were first, but the mainstream breakthrough came from the dc anthologies and books like asm101, spotlight 2 and 5, tomb of Dracula 1 and the like, which is why I call it for the Bronze Age. Dc was first with things like enchantress and Deadman, but it really took off as the code eased and monster superheroes, or at least feature characters, were a very Bronze Age marker.

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Up there with Wrightson as the two standout horror artists of that time.

BA heavily influenced by introduction of R.E. Howard characters like Conan, King Kull, Red Sonja, Solomon Kane by writer/adapter Roy Thomas. Also 1st app. of King Kull by Wrightson released before HoS #92 Swamp Thing so seems under priced:

5bHaIEe.jpg

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

BA heavily influenced by introduction of R.E. Howard characters like Conan, King Kull, Red Sonja, Solomon Kane by writer/adapter Roy Thomas. Also 1st app. of King Kull by Wrightson released before HoS #92 Swamp Thing so seems under priced:

5bHaIEe.jpg

Great point! Sword and sorcery was another huge genre in bronze

A Golden Age Anniversary for the beginning of the 1970s and a new era for the comic book! 
50 years ago around this time, this book has hit the newsstands and is making waves with a realism DC tried in its war comics. The Bronze Age begins...

4F90BB98-EF6A-45D3-95C8-766CFA986382.jpeg.a5abaa59641224c9635d925b3aa9ac27.jpeg