• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impact of characters on FMV

36 posts in this topic

For those of you who study pricing closely, what would you consider as the largest gaps in price attributable to the character drawn by an artist (recognizing there will be some other factors). For example, Aparo’s Spectre pages are sold at a premium over, say, his Green Arrow pages. I think it is not just due to the popularity of that run, but his style is so well suited to supernatural art. Or Byrne’s X-Men, as compared to his Wonder Woman pages, where he used a different style (which I didn’t like) and also was the artist on a highly popular series. As someone who favors a not to popular character, the difference has served me well, by the way. 

This is just playtime. What triggered the thought was the response to the OP who responded to “make me an offer” and got a snotty response. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Please clarify.

I just meant to say that when I am considering a piece to buy, I only research comps for that artist on that particular title/character. In the absence of any examples, I might look at other titles from the same era by that artist.

To use your example, I don't think Aparo Green Arrow has any bearing at all on Aparo Batman. And Byrne WW is not a comp for Byrne Superman, Byrne Demon, or Byrne Generations.

Edited by BCarter27

The most blatant example is the X-Men.  Cockrum and Byrne pages with Wolverine or Phoenix have been 60%-100% higher than comparable pages without.  And the same would apply to the runs of the,likes of  Romita Jr, Smith, Silvestri and Lee.

For team books, it is generally multiple characters or key characters within the team (like Cap or Iron Man for the Avengers of Hulk for the Defenders) as opposed to pages with second tier or single characters displayed on the pages.

This can represent an opportunity. For example, vintage Iron Fist pages by Byrne are super high quality and are a fraction of the price of X-Men pages (not a small fraction any longer, I am afraid).

But you have to compare production from the same period.  Saying that Byrne Uncanny is higher than byrne WCA just because of a difference in characters makes no sense, as  they come from very different eras..

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I just meant to say that when I am considering a piece to buy, I only research comps for that artist on that particular title/character. In the absence of any examples, I might look at other titles from the same era by that artist.

To use your example, I don't think Aparo Green Arrow has any bearing at all on Aparo Batman. And Byrne WW is not a comp for Byrne Superman, Byrne Demon, or Byrne Generations.

I would agree. So, where do you think the pricing reflects the greatest gap based on the character for the same artist? This is just playing around; trying to make some order out of the market. 

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

So, where do you think the pricing reflects the greatest gap based on the character for the same artist?

I think you hit on a good example with Byrne because his X-Men prices are so sky high.

I think you could make find similar examples with some of the other guys who have had really long careers -- hot books/average books, 1st run / 2nd run, etc.

The artist who skews all markets, befuddles all logic is Sal Buscema!!

Any character!!!

Case in point: At the LA show, an empty binder, no art, simply held a Sal Buscema art page at one time.

“What was this that sold for $6500?” I innocently inquired.

The dealer looked at me with all the wisdom of a man who saved money switching to Geiko while spending the night at a Holiday Inn.

”You’re asking the wrong question,” scoffed the dealer. “It’s not which page or character that sold for $6500!”

He turned and spit on the carpet, which I thought was excessive but then he squared his jaw leaned in and said, 

“The art doesn’t make Sal Buscema!”

”Sal Buscema makes the art!”

”It doesn’t matter what character was on that piece of art that sold for $6500.” 

“What matters, is that it was drawn, by 

S A L  B U S C E M A“

C81090CA-24D3-46F2-9879-B757B02DB3BC.thumb.jpeg.67f080f7733508a825c19c5df4b120fb.jpeg

On 11/10/2019 at 4:37 PM, Noob19 said:

Mignola Hellboy (especially covers)>BPRD, etc. come immediately to mind....

Yeah, his recent cover to Berserker 1 (not Hellboy or BPRD)  sold for less than $2,000, on ebay.  These two also come to mind

Marshall Rogers   Detective Comics > Dr Strange > Silver Surfer
Kelley Jones  Sandman (though he didn't do the covers) > Batman > Magneto (random marvel comic)

19 hours ago, grapeape said:

One factor we can’t omit in this pursuit is the inker on the characters work. We can say a John Buscema Surfer page will lap a John Buscema Thor page.

if The Surfer page is inked by Jack Abel and the Thor is inked by Joe Sinnott, well not so fast!!

Like, I'm supposed to argue this point? :applause:

Edited by stinkininkin